Help! Dropped MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rithem, May 22, 2010.

1. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I was letting my buddy use my MBP to watch some youtube videos around the room and he accidentally tripped over a chair and dropped my MBP. It's currently working ok but there is a huge dent on right on the ethernet and power port. The magsafe fits ok but it's just annoying to look at. I've had the MBP for about 8 days. What should I do?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Is it under warrenty? Although even if it is, it was a cosmetic damage that wasn't really Apple's fault:(

Tiz a shame if Apple can't do anything, I'd hate for that to happen to my MBP. Good luck!

3. Rithem thread starter macrumors 6502

Rithem

Yeah it's under warranty. I only got it last week :(

4. emaja macrumors 68000

Apple will not do a darn thing for you, so have him pay to fix it. He broke it, he fixes it.

I dropped a friends laptop and replaced it for him. It sucks, but oh well. It was my fault.

5. AndrewCjDuong macrumors member

If you bought it at BestBuy or something you could probably return it.

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I think you're all out of luck here. Any chance you could post some pictures?

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I think you'll have to pay to get it fixed. But it is fair that your friend should pay something towalds the repair. Hope it doesn't cost too much !

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

You could do the dishonest thing...reinstall OS X/iLife that the boot video plays during power up, and say it came in the box like that :rolleyes:

You might get a sympathetic genius who doesn't mind dirtying your conscience :rolleyes:

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol Apple makes too much money anyway:D

10. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Certain credit cards cover accidental damage...IIRC, American Express does as do some others...if you bought it with one of the cards that does cover A/D you are in luck...:)

11. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Take a baseball bat and beat the crap out of your friend ! :mad:

How can you sit on a chair, fall down and drop a laptop ?

12. lcseds macrumors 6502a

If you used a credit card, call and see if they will cover the damage. Or, check with your homeowners insurance. they may cover it also. If not, you will have to pay for any repairs. Since it has been used, nobody will accept any damage in shipment claims. And nobody will accept a return of the damaged goods either. This is an expensive repair. Apple is the only place to get repair parts, and they show no mercy with the pricing. Repair will cost hundreds.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Replacing the top case can be done by yourself for a few hundred dollars.

14. andrew086 macrumors regular

+1

maybe you should drop him/her.

15. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Certainly plan B if this friend does not buy you a new MacBook to replace the one he/she broke!

16. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

That completely stinks. I don't let anyone near my MBP -- mostly because I've heard so many horror stories from this forum.

I'd get a quote for repair and talk with your friend about repairing it or at least splitting the cost. What sucks even worse is that if you ever get AppleCare and something unrelated breaks, they might deny it due to the dent on your machine. :/

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, if you feel up to it, you could purchase the replacement upper portion of the body:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Top-C...embly-for-MacBook-Pro-15-Unibody-p-17233.html

And then go through the steps required to replace it:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...h-Unibody-2-53-GHz-Mid-2009-Upper-Case/1587/1

Looking at the steps though, you pretty much have to completely disassemble your MBP and then reassemble it with the new part. I've upgraded mac minis, and yet I wouldn't even attempt this level of MBP repair.

I would consider the amount of damage. Do all the ports still work? If so, and it's just aesthetics, then you might just live with it, though if the MBP develops a problem with the power or ethernet port later, Apple probably won't repair it under warranty given the obvious physical abuse.

If you want it repaired, you should take it to an Apple store and get a quote. Then definitely hit your buddy up for the cost of repair. At the very least, he should pay half. It's the right thing to do, and I would bet that if this ended up going to small claims court (and I hope it doesn't come to that), they'd likely find he's at least 50% at fault anyway.

18. aicul macrumors 6502a

I would

1. go to apple, see if they are kind. If they are your problems are solved

2. ask apple for a repair quote. Ask your friend to pay some (all) of that

3. ask any insurance you may have to help in the costs

after the problem is solved

DO NOT LEND THE MBP TO OTHERS

19. fordhamram20 macrumors newbie

THey have a 14-day return policy...if it were I...I would take it back...maybe saying yeah it was like this when I bought it and tell them you called and they gave you the run around so you have finally made it back to return it....just my little dishonest opinion:cool:

20. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Take it in to get it fixed!

21. AndrewCjDuong macrumors member

22. Rithem thread starter macrumors 6502

Rithem

I like this

I'm going to get a quote in the next hour. Set up a genius appointment yesterday night. I actually have a GPU problem so maybe I'll mention the severity of that.

23. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

This is the reason I don't let others carry by MacBook Pro around (other than m family).

24. rockerbsbn macrumors newbie

that suckss, make him pay!

however you could go to apple, i had this convo with a guy there, where i asked if they would raplace my cracked ipod tauch, 9 months afte i bought it. Didnt expect him to, but he did say that if it was like, only a week or two since i had bought it, they would be like "ah dude that sucks, here, we'll fix it"

so since you just got it, they might be sympathetic =/

25. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, based on my wholly unscientific statistics, 90% of macbook pro users who actually carry their macbook pros out of the house regularly, i.e., most of you will eventually have visible dents and dings on the casing.

This is a major downside of aluminum. Every macbook pro that I have seen used, has always had some visible case deformity. Bumping your laptop on something just will happen over the course of a year or two. It's really unavoidable, and while on a plastic-based laptop it won't show, it's readily apparent on an aluminum. I've given up on really hoping for a perfect case because I don't think that it will happen. This makes me hesitate on upgrading my macbook pro b/c you want it to be pretty, but I have decided that it's basically an impossible proposition for someone who carries it daily.