Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Williamisintrouble

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2017
Okay gotcha. So we just need to copy the contents of the Seagate disk back to the internal. Option key boot to the Seagate (sounds like you already did that). Then use Disk Utility to erase the internal to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

Then go to the restore tab of Disk Utility. Drag the external OS volume (whatever it is named) into the source field and the internal volume into the destination field and click restore in the lower right. That will clone the external to the internal and you will be back in business.

Once you reboot to the internal, go to System Prefs and in the startup disk pane set the internal as the boot disk.

The only catch here is this won't work if the external disk volume size is larger than the destination. If it is you will need to use Disk Util to sharing down the external volume to a size slightly smaller than the destination volume. See this.
[doublepost=1489508529][/doublepost]So.. i too deleted My drive but i dont have anykind of backup. Im willing to reinstall os x but i cant because There is no drive to install it on. This is the disk list If you Find it useful.
E5DpudA6T7GUN3iLA
https://goo.gl/photos/E5DpudA6T7GUN3iLA
Please help tho this Mac costed a fortune and parents gonna kill me If i wont get it working

thebends6

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
Yup... you goofed. :D

Option key boot to your TM disk then go the the Utilities menu and start Terminal. Then enter the command below. That will blow off that core storage volume you have there. Make sure you do it just like I have it including the quotes.

Then quit Terminal and start Disk Util and reformat to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click restore and drink an adult beverage while everything gets put back in place.

Code:
diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"

I know this question/solution is years old but I had the exact same issue today and you saved me hours of headaches. Just wanted to say thank you so much!

Reactions: Weaselboy

Drewc1

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2017
Hello,

I had a similar situation, I was trying to free up some space on my computer and ended up deleting my hard drive by mistake. Unfortunately, my mac is not picking up my TM back up either, please help!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello,

I had a similar situation, I was trying to free up some space on my computer and ended up deleting my hard drive by mistake. Unfortunately, my mac is not picking up my TM back up either, please help!
What OS version was your TM backup made with?

What model and year Mac do you have?

Einzielle

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2017
Hi

I hope you can help me to I was trying to reinstall my os x and accidentally deleted my HHD now when i try to reinstall my os x no drive showing up i dont have TM backup before the problem happened hope you can help me my macbookpro os is lion year 2011

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi

I hope you can help me to I was trying to reinstall my os x and accidentally deleted my HHD now when i try to reinstall my os x no drive showing up i dont have TM backup before the problem happened hope you can help me my macbookpro os is lion year 2011
Can you command-option-r boot into Internet recovery?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes
You can replace the hard drive.
Think about replacing with an SSD, as that is a Good Plan™
You have a 5 or 6 year old Mac. You should also consider replacing the SATA cable, too (that's the internal drive cable that Weaselboy mentioned) as they do fail, and occasionally fail the first time you do anything inside that disturbs that cable. They just don't "enjoy" being moved around. Some folks change the cable whenever the drive is replaced.

Einzielle

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2017
I already have a new hard drive but i dont have my os x lion cd to install it again and i totally forgot my apple id is there any way to install my os x lion without apple id nid to log in?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I already have a new hard drive but i dont have my os x lion cd to install it again and i totally forgot my apple id is there any way to install my os x lion without apple id nid to log in?
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

Not directly. You can purchase Lion again and Apple will send you a code to use in the App Store app to get Lion. You could login to the App Store with a new AppleID in a friend's computer then redeem the code to get Lion associated with that AppleID. Then go back to Internet recovery and that AppleID would let you download and install Lion.

Fresh Meat

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2017
Good evening techs,
I found this thread a few minutes ago and it describes my current scenario. I received a hand me down mac book pro and it was running slow so I tried to clear to factory settings and deleted the hdd drive. I don't believe the hard drive is corrupt because it was running correctly prior to my mistake. Unfortunately I do not have the back up "disk" to reboot with and am at a loss. I attempted to partition but failed. I rad through the whole thread and was unable to resolve my issue. Ant help at this point would be greatly appreciated. I can post up pictures of needed.

Thanks

Edit. I don't care about anything on the drives

Edit/Update. I deleted the drive and it came back and all is resolved. This thread was very helpful, thank you.

Attachments

• 149206407660114011397.jpg
    149206407660114011397.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 213
  • 14920641052321204215196.jpg
    14920641052321204215196.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 277
  • 1492064141631274650212.jpg
    1492064141631274650212.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 209
  • 14920641589931250924866.jpg
    14920641589931250924866.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 232
Last edited:

Noelers21

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2017
What year and model Mac do you have? Can you explain how you got to this point?
[doublepost=1500705754][/doublepost]Hi, somewhat in the same vein— hopefully you can help. I was installing a Samsung 850 500GB SSD into my mid 2012 MacBook Pro due to me original hard drive failing. When I was erasing the drive to format it as a Mac OS journal I accident did it to the "main" Samsung folder and NOT the sub folder underneath!! The computer stalled for minutes saying "unmounting" so I turned the mac off and now the brand new SSD can. It be recognized by the mac! I don't have any back ups available. The computer barely boot to the desktop, prior to the ssd install attempt, sometimes it does (once in a blue moon but takes 15 mins) I am still able to access disc utility but the ssd, which showed up initially, isn't recognized at all. Is there anything I can do short of getting another new ssd and trying again? I will be making a USB Sierra boot from a friends mac tomorrow because the mac originally came with Mountain Lion, though it was running Sierra before the original hard drive began to fail.

Thank you so much in advance for any help or advice.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When I was erasing the drive to format it as a Mac OS journal I accident did it to the "main" Samsung folder and NOT the sub folder underneath!!
That is actually the correct way to erase. You want to select the drive itself at the very to of the left column in Disk Utility then erase. To do that, you will need to be either booted to Internet recovery or an external source like a USB key. How are you booted when trying to do this?

Aurang234

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2017
I changed the hard drive to my MacBook , how do I install the operating system to it. I have a USB with Mac OS sierra on it , however the MacBook is not booting from it . Don't have a clue what to do . Anyone out there please help .
Do I need to format the new hard drive to specific format to be read my MacBook . Would appreciate a step by step guide or a web page to guide . The MacBook is a brick at the moment .

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, a new, blank hard drive will need to be formatted. You can do that easily when booted to the OS X installer, using Disk Utility from the menu.
BUT ---
If your MacBook has a hard drive (and not the newer storage SSD in 2015 and later models), then only a late 2009 or 2010 MacBook will even boot to a Sierra installer, and likely is your problem (Sierra is too new, and not supported on most older Macbooks.)

So, it will help a lot if you can tell us what model MacBook you have. Even the model number (usually somewhere on the bottom of the case)
If the MacBook is one of the older model MacBooks, with an easily-removable battery, then there should be a serial number label inside the battery compartment --- or if you can supply that serial number, that will identify your MacBook quickly.

czambujinho

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
UK
Hello,

My nephew bought a mac mini 2 years ago while he was finishing Uni. Before e left he gave it to me and told me that he had deleted the OS while trying to reset it to factory settings.
I've plugged it in and connected through hdmi to my tv. The light comes up and an icon file with a ? in the middle keeps flashing.
I've never had a mac but seen it working, but I have an IPad :D
Can somebody help in getting this thing to work?
I would be really grateful.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello,

My nephew bought a mac mini 2 years ago while he was finishing Uni. Before e left he gave it to me and told me that he had deleted the OS while trying to reset it to factory settings.
I've plugged it in and connected through hdmi to my tv. The light comes up and an icon file with a ? in the middle keeps flashing.
I've never had a mac but seen it working, but I have an IPad :D
Can somebody help in getting this thing to work?
I would be really grateful.
Thank you.
Try holding command-option-r at boot (all three at once). Does that bring up a screen where you can select your wifi and a spinning globe?

czambujinho

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
UK
Hi Weaselboy,

Yes a globe as come up and after a bit it come up the apple logo.
After that it changing between to images that i don't know what it is.
mac.jpg
mac1.jpg

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes a globe as come up and after a bit it come up the apple logo.
Okay... that is a good sign because you have a new enough model that supports Internet recovery.

Those images are prompting you to connect a BlueTooth keyboard and mouse. What are using for both now?

czambujinho

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
UK
I have a wired apple keyboard but i don't have an apple mouse. Just a normal mouse, will that work?
[doublepost=1505846345][/doublepost]I connect a spare mouse I had here and it says welcome! :D
[doublepost=1505846478][/doublepost]I choose language and now I've got this.
mac3.jpg

[doublepost=1505846774][/doublepost]I clicked option 2 and now it's downloading the OS X El Capitan into the hd
I presume that's a good thing :)
[doublepost=1505847070][/doublepost]42 min to know if it worked....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.