Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I realised I may be able to attach the Pi to my TV. I have an HDMI to HDMI cable, an Apple USB keyboard and Apple mouse. Will these be enough?

Also, once connected what *should* I see on the screen? This should clear up hopefully if the Pi is set up or not.
Oh yeah... that will work fine. You should see a login screen. Enter pi as the user name and raspberry as the password to login. Then enter "sudo raspi-config" to configure it and make your own password. Also under Interfacing Options enable SSH so you can login headless later.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Just hooked it up to my TV using an HDMI to HDMI and got a blank! Seems like the card hasn't been preinstalled. Or it just isn't sitting right in the Pi. Should I hear a click or anything when it goes in? There seems to be a little bit of movement for the card to go in - it can either go in a little to the left, a little to the right or straight in. I've tried all 3 and still no luck.

I contacted the seller who is sending out a new card.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Nah... it just slides right in. I don't really see how you could get it in there wrong. Sounds like a bad card. :(

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I don't really see how you could get it in there wrong.

You don't know me very well :D LOL!

Anyway, we'll find out just how sh!te I am when the other card comes. LOL!

Man I had a few days off to get all this sorted. Sure hopes it arrives tomorrow as gonna struggle with time after that.... and looks like I will definitely need time!!! LOL!

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Oh yeah... that will work fine. You should see a login screen. Enter pi as the user name and raspberry as the password to login. Then enter "sudo raspi-config" to configure it and make your own password. Also under Interfacing Options enable SSH so you can login headless later.

The replacement card arrived and seems to be working fine. On my Pi 3 I do actually have a green light and it flickered on and all seems to be well. Good to know it wasn't me being stupid :D

So now, going by the screen below, do I check both Raspbian and Libreelec and Install?

And then follow your instructions above? There is also a Wifi box, which I'm assuming I can select my wifi network from. Should I do that? Or follow your instructions for wifi SSH?

Attachments

• IMG_3132.JPG
    IMG_3132.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 170

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Go ahead and install Raspbian from there. You don't need the Kodi stuff there. Once you get Raspian installed enable SSH. You don't need to setup the wifi if you plan to keep it on ethernet.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Go ahead and install Raspbian from there. You don't need the Kodi stuff there. Once you get Raspian installed enable SSH. You don't need to setup the wifi if you plan to keep it on ethernet.

Brilliant. And then I follow these instructions of yours?

(PS what is "headless"?)

"Oh yeah... that will work fine. You should see a login screen. Enter pi as the user name and raspberry as the password to login. Then enter "sudo raspi-config" to configure it and make your own password. Also under Interfacing Options enable SSH so you can login headless later."

And once I've done this, I use my Mac's Terminal to add my Ring doorbell. Correct?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes... after installing Raspbian and getting SSH access setup, you still need to install Homebridge. Then once you install Homebridge you need to install the Ring plugin. I have not used that plugin, so you will need to figure it out from the instructions at the plugin web page.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Yes... after installing Raspbian and getting SSH access setup, you still need to install Homebridge. Then once you install Homebridge you need to install the Ring plugin. I have not used that plugin, so you will need to figure it out from the instructions at the plugin web page.

Thanks mate.

And to install Homebridge, I follow the instructions in the link below on the actual Pi (connected to my TV) from "Next we start installing NodeJS and a prereq for HomeBridge" ?

https://blog.bram.co.nl/howto-homebridge-on-raspberry-pi-3-for-ios-and-smart-devices/

And once done, follow the instructions you gave a while back for Ring and carry these out on my Mac Terminal app?

I think I'm almost there!!!

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes... exactly. You can either do this connected directly to the Pi like you are now with your TV, or once you get SSH and the Pi login and all setup, you can just run it headless over ethernet then login to the Pi using SSH in Terminal from your Mac.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Yes... exactly. You can either do this connected directly to the Pi like you are now with your TV, or once you get SSH and the Pi login and all setup, you can just run it headless over ethernet then login to the Pi using SSH in Terminal from your Mac.

Thanks. I'll try it out later today.

I'm sure I've said this before, but will say it again anyway, Weaselboy, thank you so much for all your help and effort, and for putting up with my cluelessness. If we were to ever meet, I owe you a few drinks. :D

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Right, I've changed Password, Enabled SSH, and have now connected the Pi to my router and have run the command 'ping raspberyypi' and have my IP address.

But when I try and run this command using terminal on my mac:
wget https://nodejs.org/dist/v4.3.2/node-v4.3.2-linux-armv6l.tar.gz

tar -xzf node-v4.0.0-linux-armv7l.tar.gz

cd node-v4.0.0-linux-armv7l

I get this

*****$ cd node-v4.3.2-linux-armv6l

-bash: cd: node-v4.3.2-linux-armv6l: No such file or directory

****s-Mac-Pro:~ *****$ wget https://nodejs.org/dist/v4.3.2/node-v4.3.2-linux-armv6l.tar.gz

-bash: wget: command not found

:~ *******$ tar -xvf node-v4.3.2-linux-armv6l.tar.gz

tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open 'node-v4.3.2-linux-armv6l.tar.gz'

:~ ****$ cd node-v4.3.2-linux-armv6l

What am I doing wrong?

So close yet so far!!!

Edit: And now I'm also getting this:

:~ *****$ sudo apt-get update

sudo: apt-get: command not found

:~ *****$ sudo apt-get upgrade

:~ *****$

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
All this is over SSH in Terminal.

First run these two commands to update the Rasbpian OS.

Code:
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

https://github.com/oznu/docker-homebridge/wiki/Homebridge-on-Raspberry-Pi

Then skip down to step #1 on this page and follow it to install Homebridge.

Thanks. Step 1 is Install Docker, right?

Also, is there a way of signing out of the Pi from my Mac when I unplug the power supply?
[doublepost=1527873016][/doublepost]
All this is over SSH in Terminal.

First run these two commands to update the Rasbpian OS.

Code:
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

https://github.com/oznu/docker-homebridge/wiki/Homebridge-on-Raspberry-Pi

Then skip down to step #1 on this page and follow it to install Homebridge.

Nope. Didn't work! This was via Terminal on Mac. I'll wait for your reply and then connect direct to TV again and see if that works.

:~ ****$ sudo apt-get update

Password:

:~ ****$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

:~ ****$

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Yes....

I don't see why those apt-get commands won't update Raspbian for you. You did install Raspbian from that screen up oin post #55 right?

Yup. I have also just gone and reconnected the Pi to the TV, went in and entered 'sudo apt-get update' and got the following. My head hurts now (along with a recent bout of sciatica), so think I'm going to call this a night for this. I'd hate to think how much your head hurts with all my questions and woes!!! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 127

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Right, the night has passed and a new day has arrived.

Now how does this sound? Should I start again by removing and reinstalling the software on to the Pi? Can that be done easily? I can then go through the commands again.

I don't want to delete Noobs from the SD card as feel that'll open up more problems!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm really a little baffled why those update commands won't work. Does the Pi access the Internet okay? Can you ping yahoo.com or something just to test?

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I'm really a little baffled why those update commands won't work. Does the Pi access the Internet okay? Can you ping yahoo.com or something just to test?

When I connected the Pi direct to TV I can't access the internet. But then I can't connect the ethernet as the router is no where near the TV.

Before I initially installed the Pi software, there was a wifi option when I connected it to the TV. But I didn't go in to it and installed the software first.

Is there a way of reinstalling the Pi software without deleting it from the SD card?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When I connected the Pi direct to TV I can't access the internet. But then I can't connect the ethernet as the router is no where near the TV.
Ah... that is what is wrong then. You need to be on the Internet to get this setup.

Connect it to the TV and get SSH enabled, then disconnect and get it back on ethernet to the router. Then from the Mac login using Terminal over SSH like we discussed earlier. Then you should be able to do everything.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Ah... that is what is wrong then. You need to be on the Internet to get this setup.

Connect it to the TV and get SSH enabled, then disconnect and get it back on ethernet to the router. Then from the Mac login using Terminal over SSH like we discussed earlier. Then you should be able to do everything.

SSH enabled. But please remind me again how to login using terminal please. Is it 'ping raspberrypi' ?

When connected to the TV I'm still unable to use the 'sudo get-apt upgrade' . Still getting error messages.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
SSH enabled. But please remind me again how to login using terminal please. Is it 'ping raspberrypi' ?

Do that ping to get the local IP, then "ssh pi@192.168.1.201" (using your IP) to login over SSH.

When connected to the TV I'm still unable to use the 'sudo get-apt upgrade' . Still getting error messages.

I believe that is because you are not on the Internet. You could enable wifi and get on that way.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Let's do wi-fi then. I can't seem to find the wi-fi option on the actual Pi software via the TV any more. Can I enable it from the Mac Terminal?

Also, connected to my Mac and ran the following commands again. Results attached.

*****-Mac-Pro:~ ****$ ping raspberrypi

PING raspberry (**.***.***.**): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

Request timeout for icmp_seq 5

Request timeout for icmp_seq 6

Request timeout for icmp_seq 7

Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

^C

--- raspberrypi ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

-Mac-Pro:~ ****$ sudo get-apt upgrade

Password:

sudo: get-apt: command not found

-Mac-Pro:~ ****$

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It won't show up with a ping yet because it is not on the network.

Run "sudo raspi-config" to get the options menu then pick the network options and setup your wifi there.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I checked my Mac's router connections and the Pi is showing.

Ethernet Connected devices: 1

Laptop-Icon.svg

raspberry

I'm off out now (unfortunately. This thing has me hooked lol) so will try your instructions above when I get back.

The wife and I are gonna have an argument very soon. She's called me 76 times already to go!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.