Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MQAvatar2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Hi everybody, I hope you can help me out.

Ok here's the background:
1. I am new to Macs (I'm waiting for for the new MBP)
2. I have a huge music library 300GB+ (mostly on an external.
3. I hate iTunes.

What do you do?

I'd like to run MediaMonkey in XP through parallels or fusion.

I'd like to minimize the space XP takes up and I want OSX to have access to the music without worrying about screwing up my music database or copying stuff back and forth.

I've thought about creating 3 partitions, one for Leopard, one for XP and one for music I want to keep on my laptop.

Is that a good idea? How do I do that?

Any help/ideas would be awesome.

Thanks!

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What do you hate about iTunes? It would help to know what to avoid in making any suggestions.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
How can you hate iTunes i find it the best all in one player i've ever had!

Get over the fact you hate iTunes please. If you hate iTunes why did you buy a Mac.

Sorry i couldn't help BTW

Northy124

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
How about checking out another player for OS X then?

Play
Cog
Songbird

Note, all of these are (to one degree or another) worse than iTunes.

To the OP: if you use Parallels or vmware Fusion to run a music player, you'll be spending about 256 - 512MB of RAM and LOTS of CPU time... for a music player.

Perhaps we could help address some of your qualms with iTunes.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
use VLC. use quicktime. use Songbird. I personally love iTunes, it houses my Music, TV Shows, Movies, PodCasts, Ringtones, all its missing is photos but I got iPhoto/Aperture for that. Plus, every update to iTunes, I notice the bass output gets more powerful and sound gets better.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm assuming he's one of those windows people who hates how iTunes organizes music. What he doesn't realize is that you shouldn't care. Why would you ever go to your music in the file system if it's all in iTunes, there's no reason. Or he could hate it simply because it does want to organize his media. What he doesn't realize is that there is a preference in iTunes that allows you to store the media where ever you want and iTunes will reference it.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I agree with what people said, but in an attempt to answer the OP's questions, yes a partition formatted as FAT32 would probably work best for allowing both OS's to access the music. If you're only going to run XP in a virtual machine I highly suggest not creating a separate partition for it, just use the virtual disk file that Parallels/VMware creates, which need only be as big as the installation of Windows + your media player software. Alternatively have you tried something like Crossover? It would be far more lightweight than having Windows running in a VM (which seems like far to much to go through to not have to use iTunes, but to each his own) provided it's compatible with whatever you're using, which it may not be.

Also realize that iTunes is a lot better on Mac OS X than Windows.

jf8

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
:rolleyes:
There are a lot of reasons why someone might want to use MediaMonkey over iTunes. Perhaps it's MediaMonkey's superior support for portable devices other than the iPod. Perhaps it's MediaMonkey's first-class support for more file formats. Perhaps it's MediaMonkey's customization. Perhaps it's the built-in support for dowloading tag updates other than album art.

I ran it in Parallels for awhile, but I decided to just run Windows.

MQAvatar2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Everybody, thanks for your responses. I have found them very helpful.

Okay, I don't "hate" iTunes, but I have had bad experiences with the XP version. I figured the title would garner a bit more advice. I'll definitely give iTunes on Leopard a chance.

It's really more that I love MediaMonkey and its features: speed, organization, tagging, file compatibility/conversion, etc.

Yes, I like to control the organization and file folder structure, which may become a non-issue with OS X.

Just because I like Macs and OS X doesn't mean I have to like iTunes (or any OS X program for that matter), that's just silly. I'm trying to come up with this solution because I like OS X.

Really though, thanks for the posts so far.

to jf8- I suppose I could just run windows... but then there's no point in getting a mac. I want to have my cake and eat it too.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK

Okay, I don't "hate" iTunes, but I have had bad experiences with the XP version. I figured the title would garner a bit more advice. I'll definitely give iTunes on Leopard a chance.

It's really more that I love MediaMonkey and its features: speed, organization, tagging, file compatibility/conversion, etc.

Yes, I like to control the organization and file folder structure, which may become a non-issue with OS X.

Just because I like Macs and OS X doesn't mean I have to like iTunes (or any OS X program for that matter), that's just silly. I'm trying to come up with this solution because I like OS X.

to jf8- I suppose I could just run windows... but then there's no point in getting a mac. I want to have my cake and eat it too.

There are settings in iTunes that can stop iTunes organising your folders/files. Personally, I love the fact that iTunes keeps all your music/files together (and yes I'm a Windows user).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
iTunes speed, organization, tagging, etc. works great.

Why do you think iTunes is the MOST POPULAR music playing app on Macs and PCs? (despite efforts of MS to shove their own player down windows users' throat?) Do you know that in addition to iTunes being easy to use for novice, iTunes is also used by many DJs and radio stations due to its speed, file organization, search, and tagging?

People, please beware of forum FUDsters
http://homepage.mac.com/bhoglund/forumFudsters.html

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I'm assuming he's one of those windows people who hates how iTunes organizes music. What he doesn't realize is that you shouldn't care. Why would you ever go to your music in the file system if it's all in iTunes, there's no reason. Or he could hate it simply because it does want to organize his media. What he doesn't realize is that there is a preference in iTunes that allows you to store the media where ever you want and iTunes will reference it.

you do realize you can turn off that anyways and make itunes not screw with it?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004

you can run vmware and get a large external drive formated in NTFS with your music on it

as for OSX, osx can read NTFS but not write to it. If that doesn't appeal to you, you can format the drive into FAT32 and put all the music on it, which OSX can read and write to. But, NTFS is a much better file system than FAT32, so i recommend NTFS over Fat32

VoidBoi

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Australia
iTunes is pretty bad here. I wish there was an OS X port of Fubar2000.

My main gripe with iTunes: poor FLAC support and an incredibly laggy interface. It almost makes up for this being the only decent OS X music player and the fact I have so many rated songs in it that would be hard to transfer to any other music player.

EDIT: I use iTunes for mp3/aac/alac, Play from Soundbooth for flac/mpc/ogg/ape. The OP might want to check that out.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
You've had bad experiences because iTunes on XP lags like ass.

There, I said it.

Its a horrible piece of software. They really need to optimize the codebases.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Okay, I don't "hate" iTunes, but I have had bad experiences with the XP version. I figured the title would garner a bit more advice.

That is what is customarily called a troll. In real life, that sick attention seeking attitude will mean that people won't bother with you as soon as they see through it.

buddhanoir

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Here's my issue with iTunes,

1. iTunes can't play the thousands of illegal songs that I may or may not have collected over the years.

2. When I decided to sell all 1000 of my CDs many years ago, I used WMP to burn them all. It defaulted to WMAs which means I'd have to convert everything to MP3s and lose quality.

3. I have spent 7 years naming songs the way I like. Because I'm a huge Jazz and Classical fan, all of my songs are labeled Song-Artist (because there tend to be more covers of the same song than there are in Rock or Hip Hop). So I can look at my collection and see instantly that I have 10 versions of "Misty"--each one my a different artist. I can tell that I have 5 versions of Beethoven's 4th Symphony.

4. I have spent the 7 years organizing music the way I like. I have about 13 different genre fields (iTunes has about 10000...and some of them aren't even genres). When i go to my Bossa Nova folder, I'd like to see all of the bossa nova songs that I have....not What iTunes thinks is Bossa Nova...but what I KNOW to be bossa nova.

5. I don't want 5 different Stevie Wonder folders. stevie wonder, STEVIE WONDER, Stevie Wonder & John Smith, sTeViE WoNda...etc. If I absolutely absolutely must view my songs by artists, I want there to be one Stevie Wonder folder....one Michael Jackson Folder....etc.

6. I don't care for proprietary submission. I like to play what I want to play...organize what I want to organize.....and use my computer the way I want.

I recently bought a mac (don't even have an IPOD), and I'm anxious to make the cross over complete. I'm thinking of buying MS 2008 for Mac...but not having a real media player is a deal breaker. Sucks that I might have to spend $80 on Parallels for the sole purpose of running media monkey. Silly. If someone can help me resolve the iTunes issues above, I'd be happy to make the switch. otherwise, i must stick with media monkey and it's indirect $80 price tag.....although I guess it ends up paying for itself since I won't have to repurchase the office suite for mac......I can just run it using parallels as well.

I'm all ears. I'm not a Mac or iTunes hater. But I think that I use, burn, and listen to music very differently from most. With Media Monkey, it shows me my MY MUSIC folder which has the 10+ genres inside. I click on Vocal Jazz and I can see all of the vocal jazz tracks contained within. Brilliant.

If anyone can help, I'll make the switch (and not use parallels).

-buddhanoir

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Highlight each and everysong and go to convert selection to AAC on your windozes PC to have your songs play on iTunes Mac.

That's al i can help with

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Here's my issue with iTunes,

1. iTunes can't play the thousands of illegal songs that I may or may not have collected over the years.
Your problem for not choosing a standard format like MP3, which iTunes can play and is the most popular format for illegal songs, hands down. This one's your fault.

2. When I decided to sell all 1000 of my CDs many years ago, I used WMP to burn them all. It defaulted to WMAs which means I'd have to convert everything to MP3s and lose quality.
Again, your fault. I won't lie, I have illegal songs I ripped from CDs I didn't own 10 years ago still. They're MP3s. They worked fine then, they work fine now in iTunes.

3. I have spent 7 years naming songs the way I like. Because I'm a huge Jazz and Classical fan, all of my songs are labeled Song-Artist (because there tend to be more covers of the same song than there are in Rock or Hip Hop). So I can look at my collection and see instantly that I have 10 versions of "Misty"--each one my a different artist. I can tell that I have 5 versions of Beethoven's 4th Symphony.
So, you've named all your files but not tagged them? Guess what: 10 years ago I was tagging my files with ID3. It's been upgraded and can store more information since 2000 or so. You have no excuse for relying on file names for organization. Not to mention that you could sort your entire library by song name in one click, or even search for a specific song name, and come away with the exact same information.

4. I have spent the 7 years organizing music the way I like. I have about 13 different genre fields (iTunes has about 10000...and some of them aren't even genres). When i go to my Bossa Nova folder, I'd like to see all of the bossa nova songs that I have....not What iTunes thinks is Bossa Nova...but what I KNOW to be bossa nova.
What? What are you even talking about? "What iTunes thinks is bossa nova?" iTunes doesn't THINK anything. It just displays what YOU'VE STORED in your Genre tag. You control that, not iTunes. If you tag your files, that's how iTunes will organize them. It doesn't tag anything by itself (unless you're talking about stuff you buy from the iTunes Store, which you can change).

5. I don't want 5 different Stevie Wonder folders. stevie wonder, STEVIE WONDER, Stevie Wonder & John Smith, sTeViE WoNda...etc. If I absolutely absolutely must view my songs by artists, I want there to be one Stevie Wonder folder....one Michael Jackson Folder....etc.
Well then it's a good thing that Mac OS X's file system (and iTunes) isn't case-sensitive by default. Of course, it's also trivial to change many tags at once in iTunes by selecting many files and using the Get Info command. Also, you can easily turn off iTunes' file/folder re-organization and it won't touch your current layout. I think that's pointless, since part of the APPEAL of iTunes is that a database is way more flexible and can do exactly what you want as long as you tag your files correctly and you no longer have to worry about file/folder placement, but nevermind that.

6. I don't care for proprietary submission. I like to play what I want to play...organize what I want to organize.....and use my computer the way I want.
So, again, don't let iTunes organize/rename your files. It's an option, un-check it. That doesn't excuse what seems to be mostly your bad tagging habits, but we'll let that slide. iTunes is just a database of your music. It's exactly as organized as YOU make it, via tags. Everything you want can be accomplished, you just need to get out of the "manual file/folder management" style of thinking and into the "tags/metadata" style of thinking. It's a lot more flexible in the long run.

I'm all ears. I'm not a Mac or iTunes hater. But I think that I use, burn, and listen to music very differently from most. With Media Monkey, it shows me my MY MUSIC folder which has the 10+ genres inside. I click on Vocal Jazz and I can see all of the vocal jazz tracks contained within. Brilliant.
I don't see how anything you've said CAN'T be accomplished with iTunes—besides the large proportion of your collection stored in an unsupported format. Sorry to be harsh, but it sounds to me like you barely even LOOKED at the program or its capabilities before deciding it wasn't sufficient for your needs. Tag your files, turn on browse mode, turn off the "keep my iTunes music folder organized" option, and move on. :rolleyes:

I cannot stress enough: a well-tagged library is crucial. Of course, that's my opinion regardless of what player you use, but with iTunes it's the starting point.

Well, that and "not using competitors' proprietary formats."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.