Help... Lion download now no hardware?!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by sneil2, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sneil2 macrumors member

sneil2

Someone please help....
    just bought brand new 27" iMac from Apple shop in Trafford Centre and the staff said Lion wouldn't be ready till end of month. :(

So I just couldn't wait for Lion to be officially released so went ahead and set up my new mac and stupidly illegally installed Lion preview 2! :eek:

Now I have no wifi at all on my iMac and says NO HARDWARE INSTALLED?? :eek:

Someone please help as I feel if I go back to store with it they'll just laugh! :apple:

2. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

Just to be sure can you tell us the build number of the version you installed ..

Look in about this mac should tell you version.

Was it DP1, DP2, DP3, DP4 or GM ?? - If its GM you shouldn't have a problem as thats the version the app store will have.

Failing that - you need to restore your mac using a SL disk

3. sneil2 thread starter macrumors member

sneil2

It was dp2 (Non update!)

After just spending 5hrs setting it up from the box I was hoping I didn't have to restore back to sl

If only there was an 'undo' button! :p

4. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

why the hell you updated DP2 when were now passed that passed DP3 and DP4 and on a GM i will never know!

Are you a Dev? - doesn't sound like it lol

5. sneil2 thread starter macrumors member

sneil2

No I'm not a developer, it took me 20mins to work out how to switch the new 27" iMac on!! :p

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Or you could just wait and save yourself the headache.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

8. Samlaptop, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011

Samlaptop macrumors newbie

You're welcome. This will be the build that will be released on the App Store if there isn't any major bugs found. If there are any major bugs found, then Apple will release a second Gold Master build and seed it to developers.

9. Typswif2fingers, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Mate, unless you are going to get another illegal copy, in order to the the GM you have to join developer plan first, i.e. fill out the application, pay application fee and then wait for approval..

Now if you check the experiences on this forum, it may take some time for you to get approved.

I would recommend you re-install the system from the installations discs.

Then, wait for the official releases...

And, most important of all, learn about what you want to do before you do it (or, as I do often, run into the wall head first :) ).

10. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I wonder why the hell someone voted your comment down. It was -1 a few minutes ago.

I swear some people on these boards should really seek help. And not the technical kind. *shakes head.*

Good advice, by the way.

11. sneil2 thread starter macrumors member

sneil2

OMG! I've just put in my SL disk that was in the box and it says:

YOU HAVE TO INSTALL OSX 23.1.1

Argh! What do I do now?

12. Alveezy macrumors regular

just pop-in your Mac OS X Snow Leopard Disc and boot from that...run Disk Utility and erase everything from your drive, then install Snow Leopard on it and start over again.

13. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

It is to be expected.. I often come across as a total bastard... It is sometimes intended tbh :)

14. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

put the CD in the drive and turn your mac off

turn mac back on and hold down CMD .. it will then ask you what to boot off .. choose the CD

then run disk utility format your HD and install the CD .. fresh instal :)

15. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Mate, I am really not sure what the reason is. I hope some of the gurus will pay attention to this thread and offer workable solution.

If the reinstall from the disc does not work, as you said, I would consider contacting the store and explaining the situation, see what they say.

I know it is embarrassing, but we all do silly things and I am sure the guys at the store have seen worse than what you did and are likely to help... If not the store contact the telephone service... It might take some time, and will be frustrating, but I think that if you are unable to get help here or through the web search, if you do not wish to go face-to-face with the store guys, telephone is the best option...

Just the other day, I had to request for the different Lion GM code as I stopped the download before it was finished. As the code can be used only once, I had to call them, explain what I did, admit that I was an idiot and beg for a different code.

After a couple of laughs... I got the code.

These things happen..

Good luck.

16. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I would try deleting the recovery partition while you have your SL disc in. Then install SL. See if that helps.

17. andrewcroberts macrumors newbie

Use your restore discs provided with your iMac. That's the best plan of action.

As a developer I have the Golden Master installed in the hope it will be the same as the final App Store release.
    If you are really impatient (like me), then... 'acquire'.... the GM and install it. I can't give you a way to 'acquire' it though. For that, you're on your own.

Good luck with your new iMac :apple:

18. johnhw macrumors 6502

No offense but you really must be an idiot to download DP2 when there is GM already..? DP2 is really buggy. Congrats on the new iMac btw! 

19. andrewcroberts macrumors newbie

I know what you mean, especially since it can't be upgraded to Retail/GM.

@sneil2 Why'd you pick DP2?

20. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

21. sneil2 thread starter macrumors member

sneil2

Okay, I've shut off the iMac and restarted while holding CMD button but it's done nothing.

I'm now trying to delete my drive but it wont let me press the erase button?

22. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

23. sneil2, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011

sneil2 thread starter macrumors member

sneil2

It was the only one I could see on the net?!

I'm not an idiot I'm a woman who knows naff all about computers these days!!
    I used to be quite handy on a computer in the 90's but slots changed since then!

I'm just thankful I have my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 to keep me going until I get this issue with the mac sorted!:apple:

Giving this a go now, thanks

24. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

In addition there should be a pdf on the installation disc that provides for instructions...

Not sure if this is the same one, but thats what I found.

also this may help..

25. sneil2 thread starter macrumors member

sneil2

Okay SL is now installing!!
    Thank you all for your help, I'd have been one very embarrassed lady if I'd have had to go back to store with it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.