Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Hi,

i tried for a year Gmail, i know that a lot of people love it, but i can't understant how many people can accept to be the product, their scan every mail, they use every data to make dollar and dollar... and i think this is bad!

Actually i tried ProtonMail, ok, is good, but too closed, i can't import or export email, and i think that this is so bad.

Now, i need to chose the right mail service, i'm near the decision to switch to iCloud Mail, but i don't know if is a good or a bad idea.

In addition, iCloud Mail is the only email service that i find that have free username like name.surname.

In alternative i want an email service, that don't live with my personal data, i think, and i'm not alone, that this is a bad business model.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Well, iCloud Mail's a pretty good shout. Apple are very staunch when it comes to privacy.

Plus they're a large enough company (to understate it) that people are frequently auditing and evaluating their stance on these issues. A breach of this trust wouldn't simply fly under the radar. I think iCloud's the best choice for you. :)

Reactions: Weaselboy

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Well, iCloud Mail's a pretty good shout. Apple are very staunch when it comes to privacy.

Plus they're a large enough company (to understate it) that people are frequently auditing and evaluating their stance on these issues. A breach of this trust wouldn't simply fly under the radar. I think iCloud's the best choice for you. :)

Thanks very much for your contribution.

I admit that i want to try ProtonMail but i think that is not a good idea a provider that don't support import and export email.

What do you think if ad username i will use:

name.s.surname@

For example (Rober Paul Washington)

robert.p.washington@icloud.com

What do you think?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

I admit that i want to try ProtonMail but i think that is not a good idea a provider that don't support import and export email.

name.s.surname@

What do you think?

Well honestly if you're looking for my advice on the best sounding email address, I'd likely pick some esoteric Star Wars line for my own gratification. So I'm really, really not the best person to ask on that front.

But with regards to privacy, well, Apple's a pretty good shout. :)

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Some esoteric star wars username?

Some example? :)

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm under the impression that standard email passes visible through many "hands" and that security/privacy is not a guarantee with any service.
There is no guarantee, but it has improved a lot in recent years. All major freemail providers support TLS encryption between mail agents these days, so emails are rarely sent over the Internet without encryption anymore. Of course, the email providers themselves can still read them unless you use real end-to-end encryption.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
But it's true that is better not use name or surname in the username because it expose the account to more security risk?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

name.s.surname@

What do you think?
Sounds like a lot of this discussion has already happened at least a few times:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gmail-username-all-taken.1979419/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/email-username-what-your-suggestion.1975774/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/icloud-email-help-me-chose-the-right-username.1974795/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/username-icloud-mail-help-me-choose-the-best.1910978/

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
In reality, in the USA nobody knows what is done behind closed doors with the various public and private government laws and regulations, its basically fight club. What the PR dept publishes and what the CTO does are very different. This also applies to VPN providers and anything internet related. Plenty of examples like Verizon and AT&T having secret rooms set aside for intelligence agencies. This includes proton mail. So just assume somebody can, if they want, read your stuff and track it. Reality is the vast majority of us aren't that interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.