Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Desmo1098

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Need help from someone who is intimate with the inside of Mac Pro...

Please see the attached link below, and be aware the picture is of very high resolution (greater than 2560 x 1600 and +6MB).

http://http://www.delta-inc.com/photo-1.png

There is a metal tab directly below the on-board SATA port. Can anyone tell me what the function of this tab is?

Thanks in advance!

Desmo1098

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
You might have a try on the Apple forums there are also some very good people there if you haven't done already.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's an EMI ground... so in case your disk drive generates static electricity it doesn't fry your computer.

Desmo1098

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
@alphaod

How sure of this are you? Do you have any source where I can find out more about it?

Thank you for all of your quick responses!!! :)

Desmo1098 :)

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
I hope this is urgent because:
a)sparks were just shooting from it
b)you accidentally broke it and electrocuted yourself
c)both a and b

:p

studiox

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Stockholm / Sweden
I hope this is urgent because:
a)sparks were just shooting from it
b)you accidentally broke it and electrocuted yourself
c)both a and b

:p

No one should have replied in the thread just so we all could watch, in real-time how the subject line changed to HELP NOW -> REALLY HELP NOW - HELLO HELP ME NOW! -> WFT WHY ARE YOU NOT HELPING ME.

the editor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
its a secret chip they use, to control your brain, whenever there's a new mac pro update the secret chip sends impulses to your brain turning you completely stupid and makes you spend thousands of dollars for outdated hardware.

Desmo1098

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
After some more research, some people think that metal tab is actually a temperature sensor... What is the community's thoughts about that? In addition, if you look at any hard drive there is a painted or coated surface where the hard drive would touch that tab, so I am not sure if and how EMI would work if it is coated. Any thoughts?

I was also thinking that maybe this is why when you run iStat with an SSD you do not get temperature reading? Again, this is speculative, so some intelligent insight here would be helpful.

Initially I am in agreement with the fact that it has to do with EMI.

I would kindly ask that if you do not have anything to contribute to helping me solve this post, then refrain from posting. I thought for the most part this forum was very professional and objective. In some cases I can see the community offering subjective advice on RAID setups or Mac Pro configurations, but when you post useless comments it is just more time to waste to have to sift through the additional comments.

Thanks in advance and respectfully,

Desmo1098

Desmo1098

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Soon, young Skywalker, soon. I have something MAGICAL up my sleeve and I need the MacRumors community to help me.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
What's up with the hirez embedded images? Ever hear of a program called Photoshop? :confused: I think it should run fine on that Mac Pro of yours. You can use it to drop down the files size before posting. Else, next time host them someplace and post a link to them. :rolleyes:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
After some more research, some people think that metal tab is actually a temperature sensor... What is the community's thoughts about that? In addition, if you look at any hard drive there is a painted or coated surface where the hard drive would touch that tab, so I am not sure if and how EMI would work if it is coated. Any thoughts?

I was also thinking that maybe this is why when you run iStat with an SSD you do not get temperature reading? Again, this is speculative, so some intelligent insight here would be helpful.

Hard drives have built-in temperature sensors, so that's the temperature you get with iStat. Many SSDs do not have temperature sensors (since they don't produce much heat), so you won't get any temperatures reported.

The Mac Pro does have temperature sensors in and around the HDD bays themselves, but those are not attached to the HDD in the bays; that flaky piece of metal isn't much of a conductor of heat.

sochet

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
I would kindly ask that if you do not have anything to contribute to helping me solve this post, then refrain from posting. I thought for the most part this forum was very professional and objective. In some cases I can see the community offering subjective advice on RAID setups or Mac Pro configurations, but when you post useless comments it is just more time to waste to have to sift through the additional comments.

Thanks in advance and respectfully,

Desmo1098

Well maybe if you actually asked in a polite manner I'm sure you'll get the answers you want. If you want to post in loud capital letters and act like a douchebag to people who are offering you help, don't be surprised when the answers are less than satisfactory :rolleyes:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well maybe if you actually asked in a polite manner I'm sure you'll get the answers you want. If you want to post in loud capital letters and act like a douchebag to people who are offering you help, don't be surprised when the answers are less than satisfactory :rolleyes:

Thanks for contributing… nothing. And why are you taking this personally?

sochet

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
Thanks for contributing… nothing. And why are you taking this personally?

Ok, Ok. Maybe I was a bit too touchy there (I'm trying to quit smoking, which if you've ever done makes you turn into the Hulk over the slightest things :( )

My point was I think he was acting a bit impolite there (I've asked for help here if something's wrong before, and I'm thankful for *any* replies).

Also he did insinuate that this forum (and I think he meant the Mac Pro one in particular) is not "Professional and objective". Also like I say, if someone has taken the time to reply, even if it is a joke then it's a bit rude to say said posts are "Useless".

Bah I'm gonna go chew some nicotine gum before I murder a colleague :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.