Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
I updated to 10.15.7 and the next morning my 2014 MBP was dead. It won't take a charge any more. The service desk tried their charger too. Logic board is probably fried.

EDIT: battery connector came undone. battery is swelling

Last edited:

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020

Ok, I was able to rename the kext files on Big Sur. Here is the procedure:

- Disable File Vault
- Reboot into Recovery Mode
- csrutil disable
- csrutil authenticated-root disable
- mount -uw /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- cd /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/Extensions
- mv AllThunderboltKexts.kext AllThunderboltKexts.kext.bak (Except IOThunderboltFamily.kext)
- kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- bless --folder /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
- reboot

----EDIT----
(11/13) I still got a reboot, maybe there are more kexts that need to be renamed.
(11/14) Rebuilding the kext cache before bless seems to have solved the issue, no shutdowns so far.
(11/14) Still getting shutdowns.

(11/15) kmutil did the trick (thanks to redmetz).

1605322168502.png

Last edited:

amnesia106

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018
Harzvier
on the outluch page there is a user that posted this:
Works for me... I did csrutil disable before point 3) and tried to enable it afterwards and my system doesn't booted anymore. Had to reinstall Big Sur in recovery mode. At least no data was lost. Did the steps again without enabling SIP (csrutil enable) and haven't had a random shutdown all day. Well have to live without the SIP though. In System Information the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext isn't loaded anymore
In my case: i´ve installed Big Sur on my macbook late 2013 last day... one day without any shutdown. at least, shutdowns comes back. Ive tried the workaround, but the mb still shutdown. After a SMC and PRAM reset, the mb dont boot anymore...
now - i recover via timemachine to catalina 10.15.1 -.-
frustrated...

//
EDIT: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251593039
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
may help!?
//

Last edited:

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2009
I hope you guys are backing up your data regularly. You should realize that the MBP's days are numbered, and one day soon you will go to use your computer and it won't turn on. Also keep the insides clean and free from dust. The heat will kill it.

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
on the outluch page there is a user that posted this:

In my case: i´ve installed Big Sur on my macbook late 2013 last day... one day without any shutdown. at least, shutdowns comes back. Ive tried the workaround, but the mb still shutdown. After a SMC and PRAM reset, the mb dont boot anymore...
now - i recover via timemachine to catalina 10.15.1 -.-
frustrated...

//
EDIT: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251593039
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
may help!?
//
For some reason I cannot apply sudo in Single User Mode.

1605401723562.png

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA

redmetz

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2015
Hey guys, so I asked in the Apple Support Forum, if there's a way in Big Sur to disable the Thunderbolt kexts and here is a procedure for it (probably with FileVault disabled):

Follow this procedure :
  1. Reboot in rescue mode (reboot while "Cmd + R")
  2. csrutil disable
  3. csrutil authenticated-root disable
  4. reboot in rescue mode
  5. mount -uw /Volumes/[MacOS <your custom stuff here>]
  6. delete (or rename, or move elsewhere) the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext directory (I've moved all thunderbolt kext directories since I have no needs about this interface, but I think it works only by disabling AppleThunderboltNHI)
  7. REBUILD the extensions cache ! (new has-to-do in Big Sur...) : kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/[MacOS <your custom stuff here>]
  8. DON'T FORGET to create another system snapshot to take these modifications under account at next reboot : bless --folder /Volumes/[MacOS <your custom stuff here>]/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
  9. csrutil enable (mays be you have to reboot in rescue mode.. not tested)
Finally, reboot in normal mode : you can check kextstat : it shows that the driver is actually not loaded :)

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Hey guys, so I asked in the Apple Support Forum, if there's a way in Big Sur to disable the Thunderbolt kexts and here is a procedure for it (probably with FileVault disabled):

Follow this procedure :
  2. csrutil disable
  4. reboot in rescue mode
  6. delete (or rename, or move elsewhere) the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext directory (I've moved all thunderbolt kext directories since I have no needs about this interface, but I think it works only by disabling AppleThunderboltNHI)
  7. REBUILD the extensions cache ! (new has-to-do in Big Sur...) : kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/[MacOS <your custom stuff here>]
  8. DON'T FORGET to create another system snapshot to take these modifications under account at next reboot : bless --folder /Volumes/[MacOS <your custom stuff here>]/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
Finally, reboot in normal mode : you can check kextstat : it shows that the driver is actually not loaded :)
It did not work for me, kexts are still loaded, I got the following error:
IOThunderboltFamily.kext has not to be renamed in order for it to work.
No shutdowns for now, I have updated the procedure in the post above.
Thank you!

1605453505014.png

Last edited:

sclaz8

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Thanks guys for your help. I'm getting frustrated for that. My ethernet thunderbolt needs to be bypassed, otherwise the system switches off. this happens since 4-5 years ago and I did a workaround which was working,...until now.
I have your same problem about the readonly status of the folder, so that I cannot move it.
I've tried your suggestion, but I am confused. I have now 3 paths where I have the AppleThunderboltNHI folders. In:
1- /System/Library/Extension
2- /Volumes/Macbook\ HD/System/Library/Extension
3- /Volumes/Macbook\ HD\ 1/System/Library/Extension

So even if I can rename the folders in 2 and 3, I cannot do that in 1. The folders are still readonly.
So I am not sure this is working...

In the while I found somewhere on the web a temporary great "chapuza", but annoying to apply at each startup:
{
python
from time import sleep
while True:
sleep(0.00002)
}

Remember to press a tab before 'sleep' and, don't know why, but cut and paste of this line doesn't work. I need to type it.

Anyway I wait for better updates here from you guys, because I need to work WITH my macbook, not FOR my macbook.... :'-(

naguzmans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Thanks guys for your help. I'm getting frustrated for that. My ethernet thunderbolt needs to be bypassed, otherwise the system switches off. this happens since 4-5 years ago and I did a workaround which was working,...until now.
I have your same problem about the readonly status of the folder, so that I cannot move it.
I've tried your suggestion, but I am confused. I have now 3 paths where I have the AppleThunderboltNHI folders. In:
1- /System/Library/Extension
2- /Volumes/Macbook\ HD/System/Library/Extension
3- /Volumes/Macbook\ HD\ 1/System/Library/Extension

So even if I can rename the folders in 2 and 3, I cannot do that in 1. The folders are still readonly.
So I am not sure this is working...

In the while I found somewhere on the web a temporary great "chapuza", but annoying to apply at each startup:
{
python
from time import sleep
while True:
sleep(0.00002)
}

Remember to press a tab before 'sleep' and, don't know why, but cut and paste of this line doesn't work. I need to type it.

Anyway I wait for better updates here from you guys, because I need to work WITH my macbook, not FOR my macbook.... :'-(

Are you applying the procedure in Recovery Mode? Seems like you have two partitions, you should apply it to the one you work with.

Here is a tutorial if you want to make the Python script an app: https://anderswiggers.dk/resources?title=MacBook Pro Retina Shutdown Fix

Reactions: michaelafcadio

sclaz8

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Are you applying the procedure in Recovery Mode? Seems like you have two partitions, you should apply it to the one you work with.

Here is a tutorial if you want to make the Python script an app: https://anderswiggers.dk/resources?title=MacBook Pro Retina Shutdown Fix
I did it both rescue mode (but it didn't work) and in standard mode (BTW can you confirm me that in your todolist, item 1 and 4 are the same - I mean both in rescue mode - ?). The 3 different paths for those folders came in standard mode. The folder about Macbook HD 1 is due to a suggestion on the web, where they suggested to mount the folder by:

sudo diskutil mountDisk disk1s5

Thanks for the app suggestion, I will try to reproduce that!

mergen

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020

Follow this procedure :
  2. csrutil disable
  4. reboot in rescue mode
Hi. Thanks a ton for this help. Installed Big Sur thinking that deleting the problematic AppleThunderboltNHI.kext would be no prob but of course having issues.

BTW can you explain your steps in a bit more detail? I'm going to be essentially copying and pasting your recommendations so hopefully everything you shared will work. I have no clue what mount -uw will do if I wrote this wrong. Also what should I be putting in when you state <your custom stuff>? What should we be beware of, so we don't do something really disastrous accidentally :)

Thank you!

Last edited:

dantheman21

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
Ok, I was able to rename the kext files on Big Sur. Here is the procedure:

- Disable File Vault
- Reboot into Recovery Mode
- csrutil disable
- csrutil authenticated-root disable
- mount -uw /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- cd /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/Extensions
- mv AllThunderboltKexts.kext AllThunderboltKexts.kext.bak (Except IOThunderboltFamily.kext)
- kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive
- bless --folder /Volumes/YourMacOSDrive/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot
- reboot

----EDIT----
(11/13) I still got a reboot, maybe there are more kexts that need to be renamed.
(11/14) Rebuilding the kext cache before bless seems to have solved the issue, no shutdowns so far.
(11/14) Still getting shutdowns.

(11/15) kmutil did the trick (thanks to redmetz).

View attachment 1665721
So glad I found this forum! I take a look at your instructions and I have no idea how to proceed. Do you know of a YouTube video out there that may point me in the right direction?

I've been using the python script to keep my MacBook from shutting off (keeping CPU at 99%) with the "yes" program. Hoping your solution doesn't stress the CPU too much?

sclaz8

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
So glad I found this forum! I take a look at your instructions and I have no idea how to proceed. Do you know of a YouTube video out there that may point me in the right direction?

I've been using the python script to keep my MacBook from shutting off (keeping CPU at 99%) with the "yes" program. Hoping your solution doesn't stress the CPU too much?
hi, I think the instructions you quoted above are not working with BigSur, since the volume is readonly. This makes the solution not clear to me, at the moment.

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA

redmetz and naguzmans - Thank you!​

Perfect - my MBP Late 2013 runs like a carm, without any shutdowns!
My external monitor connected with the Thunderbolt port works perfectly too!

Wait... @amnesia106, can you please clarify which exact fix you used? In my case, when I rename/move all of the Thunderbolt drivers, I can no longer use my Thunderbolt ports and devices such as Thunderbolt docks, network interfaces, and video. If I want to continue using Thunderbolt devices, then I need to use the Python script instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.