Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
England
Hey,

I'm not really around on many forums so this is why I chose this place, but does anyone know of good ways to get rid of a bad cough? I've not had the cold part and it seems to be just a bad cough. It seems quite dry and I'm not coughing up anything, just choking on something in my throat.

I heard honey and something is suppose to help. Any parents have any good tips for me haha? :)

Thanks!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I heard honey and something is suppose to help.

I would try honey. I've personally used honey when I've had a sore throat and really coats well. I think it has anti bacterial properties...?

Have you tried any cough suppressants? I hate coughs. You try to ignore that tickle in your throat, but you could only hold off for some long before you have to give in. :(

Dan70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
England
I would try honey. I've personally used honey when I've had a sore throat and really coats well. I think it has anti bacterial properties...?

Have you tried any cough suppressants? I hate coughs. You try to ignore that tickle in your throat, but you could only hold off for some long before you have to give in. :(

Okay thanks :)

I'll give honey a go. I'm not tried anything else other than the vapour rub that you put on your chest. I read online somewhere that putting it on your neck helps and it does seem to slightly.

I guess I'll have to go shopping tomorrow and see what's around. I do try and stop myself but then I feel like suffocating, it is horrible :(

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
If you're not feverish u prolly should be ok in a few days. Honey is good and it has antibacterial properties. Mucin ex max strength is good as a expectorant

Dan70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
England
Ugh I'd hope t try and avoid that :(

I had a browse on WebMD but to be honest, it was difficult get anything accurate. Coughing is the only symptom really.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
England
Nope, never. I've also not been abroad in years but I have had some family members with colds but they had an actual cold. I just have this cough that no one else had.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Hey,

I'm not really around on many forums so this is why I chose this place, but does anyone know of good ways to get rid of a bad cough? I've not had the cold part and it seems to be just a bad cough. It seems quite dry and I'm not coughing up anything, just choking on something in my throat.

I heard honey and something is suppose to help. Any parents have any good tips for me haha? :)

Thanks!

hold on, it will pass
no doc will cure it
they only can alleviate side effects

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
hold on, it will pass
no doc will cure it
they only can alleviate side effects

One of a thousand reasons why someone should seek help from an actual medical professional over asking a bunch if loons on the internet.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My suggestion is to see a doctor, while getting tips on help on the internet seems like a good idea, getting medical advise from strangers isn't :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ugh I'd hope t try and avoid that :(

I had a browse on WebMD but to be honest, it was difficult get anything accurate. Coughing is the only symptom really.

Throat lozengers. If it persists more than a week, you should see the doctor.

Btw, to refute a comment, you can find good advice in this forum. I and several others gave you some. :D

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
If the cough persists, the OP should seek professional medical advice. The causes range from benign to serious, and will require a careful history and physical and sometimes tests to diagnose.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I see you live in England, a couple of weeks ago I flew from London to Los Angeles and got a bad cough. For the life of me could not shake the cough. Then a few days later green mucus started coming up, it was getting worse and not better.

A week later found out I got bronchitis from being on the flight, all the recycled air on the plane cycling through the cabin. Ended up going to the doctor and getting anti-biotics. Now, I'm a super organic and natural remedy type of person - but when it comes to bronchitis it is the only option. Now that I'm over it I'm on pro-biotics. No natural remedy worked.

Bronchitis can turn into ammonia, and trust me - you don't want that.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
England
I see you live in England, a couple of weeks ago I flew from London to Los Angeles and got a bad cough. For the life of me could not shake the cough. Then a few days later green mucus started coming up, it was getting worse and not better.

A week later found out I got bronchitis from being on the flight, all the recycled air on the plane cycling through the cabin. Ended up going to the doctor and getting anti-biotics. Now, I'm a super organic and natural remedy type of person - but when it comes to bronchitis it is the only option. Now that I'm over it I'm on pro-biotics. No natural remedy worked.

Bronchitis can turn into ammonia, and trust me - you don't want that.

Yeah I am and I have seen bronchitis on some health sites but I've not been too sure about it. I've not flown in ages so I don't know how I'd get it but I'll look into that just so I can rule it out.

I can honestly say I've not had a cough this bad for this long before. It's been bad but not for this long and it's just annoying now. I'll take myself to the doctors I guess. See what's happening.

Thanks for all the help everyone, very useful. I will see a doctor though as asking for advice on the internet is one thing but as some of you have said. You're not doctors so I'll have to see what is what!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.