Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
Hi. I've purchased Apple Care + for the iPhone 7 Plus I bought in December 2016 (in the UK). I dropped my phone in the underground floor and now I have a hairline crack that, thankfully, doesn't affect the screen (it's only in the bezel area). My OCD is telling me to use my first accidental coverage to change the screen for about 30 GBP. I am unsure, though, if this would count against the 2 accidental coverages I'd receive from my Apple Care +. I remember reading somewhere (maybe here on MacRumors) that both battery replacements and simple screen replacments wouldn't count against Apple Care + 2 uses. I've read elsewhere (including Apple's official page) that these screen replacements ARE discounted against my 2 accidental damage coverage... Can anybody share their experience here with me? Thank you, in advance.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
If you only pay 30 GBP then it will count against your AppleCare 2 uses. If you pay full price for a screen, maybe about 100 then it won't. I would use AppleCare for this. That's what it is for.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks for the answers, everyone.
One more question: can I use the regular phone screen cost and save Apple Care + for full replacement in case I have bigger Dakar later? I once had my iPhone 6 Plus completely ruined - that was the case I wanted to use Apple Care + for...

If you only pay 30 GBP then it will count against your AppleCare 2 uses. If you pay full price for a screen, maybe about 100 then it won't. I would use AppleCare for this. That's what it is for.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for the answers, everyone.
One more question: can I use the regular phone screen cost and save Apple Care + for full replacement in case I have bigger Dakar later? I once had my iPhone 6 Plus completely ruined - that was the case I wanted to use Apple Care + for...

Yes, you can pay full price to replace the screen and save your 2 incidents if you'd like.

Reactions: strategicthinke

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Is it likely you'd "totally ruin" your iPhone twice in the course of two years? It's also quite possible this will be the only accident you'll have during those two years.

I've yet to crack a screen or drop my iPhones and iPads into the kitchen sink in all the years I've had them, but that's me, and you're you - you know your tendencies better than any of us would.

If I hadn't yet used an accidental damage incident, I would use the first one for a screen replacement, knowing I still had one more incident in reserve.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Is it likely you'd "totally ruin" your iPhone twice in the course of two years? It's also quite possible this will be the only accident you'll have during those two years.

I've yet to crack a screen or drop my iPhones and iPads into the kitchen sink in all the years I've had them, but that's me, and you're you - you know your tendencies better than any of us would.

If I hadn't yet used an accidental damage incident, I would use the first one for a screen replacement, knowing I still had one more incident in reserve.

That's what I would go for too.
Unless I was real accident prone and destroy my devices on the regular.
Make sure you have a decent case on also OP. That will help.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
If you don't want to use it yet put a glass screen protector on your screen and wear a case. That'll prolong things for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.