Help with AT&T question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lord Flashheart, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

I posted this in another thread, but did not get a response. Does anyone know:

Can you have piss poor AT&T 3G service and good AT&T Faux G on the 4GS (HSPA+)? The reason I ask is that according to the AT&T coverage map (I know you need to take these maps with a HUGE grain of salt) I am smack dab in the middle of 4G coverage. Yet my AT&T 3G service is Horrible. I average 1 bar and go from Edge to 3 bars max on my 3GS. I average only 0.47Mbps down and 0.17Mbps up on Speed test . If I get a 4Gs on AT&T, could I see improvement? I am unsatisfied with AT&Ts 3G service in my area and want to know if there is a link to their 4G.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

As you say, the maps should be taken with a huge grain of salt. I'm the opposite of you - I've had decent coverage even in areas where the wasn't supposed to be coverage at all.

Unfortunately, you aren't really going to know for sure until you have the phone in hand and can test it for yourself.

3. Lord Flashheart thread starter macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

Ya thats the problem. I was hoping someone had an idea if you could have bad AT&T 3G service but good AT&T 4G (Faux G?) service.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Remember, AT&T's '4G' is made from HSPA+ and LTE, so if the area you are in is HSPA+ then it will be a crap 4G because you will be relying on a 3G technology, which from you described is overwhelmed in the area.