Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Yeah regardless of running warm water on it after a few hours mine is back to always having some initial resistance when first turning. Once moving it is fine, but the very first touch there is slight resistance. For a few minutes after the first turn it is then smooth again on first touch, but then starts to stiffen up. Need to find time to send it back to Apple.

Haxley

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
From Apple's official documentation:
Screen Shot 2015-06-26 at 6.57.06 PM.png

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204639

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I have owned a 42" SS for nearly two months. Works great except that the sticky crown issue keeps occurring. I do the rinse which clears it up for a few days, then it returns. I've done the rinse about 10 times now. Has anyone else experienced this? It's getting irritating.

I wear the watch all day every day. I don't expose it to any particularly harsh environments, though it may get damp when I wash my hands.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I have owned a 42" SS for nearly two months. Works great except that the sticky crown issue keeps occurring. I do the rinse which clears it up for a few days, then it returns. I've done the rinse about 10 times now. Has anyone else experienced this? It's getting irritating.

I wear the watch all day every day. I don't expose it to any particularly harsh environments, though it may get damp when I wash my hands.
It could be that something related to your job (food service industry for instance) or everyday behavior is causing it. Just make washing it a part of your everyday routine. For instance when you wash your hands just include the :apple:Watch. You will likely never experience 'sticky' crown again.

kirkhuffy

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia
My crown I wouldn't say is sticky and hard to turn, but rather when I go go turn it, it feels "stuck". Once I move it past that stuck point it spins as it normally would on a new watch. (I have ran it under water to try to fix the problem to no avail) Does anyone else experience this? It's not a seldom thing, either.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
My crown I wouldn't say is sticky and hard to turn, but rather when I go go turn it, it feels "stuck". Once I move it past that stuck point it spins as it normally would on a new watch. (I have ran it under water to try to fix the problem to no avail) Does anyone else experience this? It's not a seldom thing, either.

A member reported a similar problem where the crown shifted at one point, and Apple promptly replaced it. Most likely culprit is a defective rubber gasket that interfered with the turning, as rinsing won't do anything to fix it.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I wash mine out daily after workouts with water just about too hot to keep my hands under it. I press and twist the crown a few times, towel it dry and move on. Some days I skip but it catches up to me and I have to wash it to get it going again. In my case its due to sweat during/after my workouts.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Mine definitely gets sticky due to sweat during workouts... and I'm not even a very sweaty person.

I've just started rinsing my Watch (including the crown) after every workout... and the crown is staying nice and smooth.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Maybe it is sweat related. I'll pay attention to whether there's a pattern where strenuous activities lead to a sticky crown.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England

I'm sorry to hear of this, and sorry that I cannot help you.

I'm afraid to say that the digital crown was a great misstep by Ive.

Reactions: samiznaetekto

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Mine did that at the beach briefly. Think it had a sand grain in there. A few twists and it was fine.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Mine had this problem earlier. Rinsing worked fine. And to be honest, the Digital Crown was the probably the best idea Ive had when designing the watch. It is a lot better than using my dinger to scroll. The crown as spoiled me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.