Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's public release of macOS Ventura is expected sometime in October, but given the number of features in macOS Monterey that were limited to Apple silicon Macs, will Intel Mac owners again feel left out in the cold this fall?

m1-v-intel-thumb.jpg

Fortunately, it doesn't look like that will be the case this time round, with many of the major features in macOS 13 offering full functionality on both Intel and Apple silicon machines.

In fact, as long as your model of Intel Mac matches the minimum requirements for macOS Ventura, there's relatively little in terms of new features that will be off-limits to you. That said, here are three exceptions that we've been able to identify as being exclusive to Apple silicon.

Live Captions

live-captions-ventura.jpg

macOS Ventura includes support for Live Captions across all audio content, and that includes FaceTime, allowing you to see automatically transcribed dialogue during calls. Live captions will be available in English and are limited to the iPhone 11 and later, ‌iPad‌ with A12 Bionic and later, and of course Macs with Apple silicon.

Reference Mode with Sidecar

reference-mode.jpg

Reference Mode with Sidecar lets you use a 12.9-inch iPad Pro with Liquid Retina XDR display as a secondary display with your Mac. "Reference" refers to the accurate and consistent representation of colors in professional workflows that involve review and approval, color grading, and compositing.

In Apple's example, the primary interface from Da Vinci Resolve is shown on a connected Studio Display, with color grading scopes on a MacBook Pro screen, and the fullscreen output image on an M1 iPad Pro in Sidecar mode.

Emoji Support in Dictation Mode

2021-most-popular-emoji.jpg

In macOS Ventura, Dictation automatically punctuates text with commas, full stops and question marks as you speak. You can also insert emoji with just your voice, although Apple says this particular feature only works on Macs with M1 and later processors.

Dictation is available in Cantonese (Hong Kong), English (Australia, Canada, India, UK, US), French (France), German (Germany), Japanese (Japan), Mandarin Chinese (China mainland, Taiwan) and Spanish (Mexico, Spain, US).

Summing Up

As this short list demonstrates, there are far fewer restrictions in macOS Ventura for Intel users to contend with than there are in macOS Monterey. That said, macOS 13 does drop support for some Intel Macs sold between 2013 and 2016, so you may find that your model simply didn't make the cut for official compatibility.

ventura-macs-supported.jpg

Apple has almost finalized its two-year transition from Intel processors to its custom Apple silicon chips in Macs, with the changeover to be completed when the Mac Pro gets the Apple silicon treatment sometime this year. Expect Apple to reduce software support for Intel machines at a faster rate from 2023 and beyond.

macOS 13 Ventura is available to developers from this week, with Apple planning to provide a public beta in July.

Article Link: Here Are All the macOS Ventura Features Your Intel Mac Won't Support

Last edited:

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
I'm sure that as time goes on, there will be some compelling features that Intel users are missing out on. Despite this, I'm committed to my Intel iMac + Macbook Pro for at least several more years, until third party software catches up. The list continues to dwindle, but there are still some apps that I cannot run on the M-Series yet. For me, that is more important than these nifty features.

From a value perspective, I'd also like to see an advancement of the M-Series to the point where I can feel confident that my purchase will last 3-5 years without becoming effectively obsolete. I paid the price with a first gen Apple Watch, and despite being an early adopter, I'm more cautious these days.

jurmous

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2020
I'm sure that as time goes on, there will be some compelling features that Intel users are missing out on. Despite this, I'm committed to my Intel iMac + Macbook Pro for at least several more years, until third party software catches up. The list continues to dwindle, but there are still some apps that I cannot run on the M-Series yet. For me, that is more important than these nifty features.

From a value perspective, I'd also like to see an advancement of the M-Series to the point where I can feel confident that my purchase will last 3-5 years without becoming effectively obsolete. I paid the price with a first gen Apple Watch, and despite being an early adopter, I'm more cautious these days.
What apps are not possible to run for you on Apple Silicon? Since almost all should also work with Rosetta in case there is no native support yet. And the Rosetta apps runs often faster than on Intel.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
This is just the beggining of the end. Next year, I'm predicting that anything older than 2020 macs will be dropped from support, with Apple only keeping the 2019 Mac Pro and 2020 intel macs for another year of support.

On the brightside, at least these intel macs can still get some extended use by using Windows 10, at least until 2025.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
I'd like to see live captions updated to include live translations. Until then I'm happy on my 27 inch intel iMac. Also waiting for the new larger screen Mx iMacs so it may be awhile.

RichardDue

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2016
This update is all about Metal 3 (with MetalFX). Apple just cracked the nut for AAA gaming on the Mac. I'm not a big gamer, so it doesn't mean a lot to me. But lots of people game. And not having tons of AAA titles available for the Mac is a huge deal for them. In fact, I would argue that the number one reason Windows users are reluctant about trying out a Mac is the lack of AAA games available to macOS. Now, all Apple needs to do is start an in-house AAA gaming unit, or buy one (like Epic). Metal 3 was the last piece to the puzzle. OS X is finally complete. (And it only took 22 years. Not bad, considering.)

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Well, running a Windows VM isn't on the list of AS features really either. Not a solid x86 one anyways.
Ya, I'm still hoping this reported Qualcomm/Microsoft mess gets sorted out soon and we can officially get Windows on Apple Silicon. I'm not keen on using Insider Builds through Parallels since there are sometimes issues with stability.

kylelerner

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Marina del Rey, CA

Apple's public release of macOS Ventura is expected sometime in October, but given the number of features in macOS Monterey that were limited to Apple silicon Macs, will Intel Mac owners again feel left out in the cold this fall?

m1-v-intel-thumb.jpg

Fortunately, it doesn't look like that will be the case this time round, with many of the major features in macOS 13 offering full functionality on both Intel and Apple silicon machines.

In fact, as long as your model of Intel Mac matches the minimum requirements for macOS Ventura, there's relatively little in terms of new features that will be off-limits to you. That said, here are three exceptions that we've been able to identify as being exclusive to Apple silicon.

Live Captions

macOS Ventura includes support for Live Captions across all audio content, and that includes FaceTime, allowing you to see automatically transcribed dialogue during calls. Live captions will be available in English and are limited to the iPhone 11 and later, ‌iPad‌ with A12 Bionic and later, and of course Macs with Apple silicon.

reference-mode.jpg

Reference Mode with Sidecar lets you use a 12.9-inch iPad Pro with Liquid Retina XDR display as a secondary display with your Mac. "Reference" refers to the accurate and consistent representation of colors in professional workflows that involve review and approval, color grading, and compositing.

In Apple's example, the primary interface from Da Vinci Resolve is shown on a connected Studio Display, with color grading scopes on a MacBook Pro screen, and the fullscreen output image on an M1 iPad Pro in Sidecar mode.

In macOS Ventura, Dictation automatically punctuates text with commas, full stops and question marks as you speak. You can also insert emoji with just your voice, although Apple says this particular feature only works on Macs with M1 and later processors.

Dictation is available in Cantonese (Hong Kong), English (Australia, Canada, India, UK, US), French (France), German (Germany), Japanese (Japan), Mandarin Chinese (China mainland, Taiwan) and Spanish (Mexico, Spain, US).

Summing Up

As this short list demonstrates, there are far fewer restrictions in macOS Ventura for Intel users to contend with than there are in macOS Monterey. That said, macOS 13 does drop support for some Intel Macs sold between 2013 and 2016, so you may find that your model simply didn't make the cut for official compatibility.

Apple has almost finalized its two-year transition from Intel processors to its custom Apple silicon chips in Macs, with the changeover to be completed when the Mac Pro gets the Apple silicon treatment sometime this year. Expect Apple to reduce software support for Intel machines at a faster rate from 2023 and beyond.

macOS 13 Ventura is available to developers from this week, with Apple planning to provide a public beta in July.

Article Link: Here Are All the macOS Ventura Features Your Intel Mac Won't Suppor

m1-v-intel-thumb.jpg

Live Captions

reference-mode.jpg

Summing Up

Article Link: Here Are All the macOS Ventura Features Your Intel Mac Won't Support
It’s just… funny that emoji dictation support is cut from intel capabilities.

Reactions: pizzzle

Ashbash75

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2017
After seeing the prices and spec for the M2 and how Intel have stepped their game, I really cant see myself staying with a mac.

Once upon a time german cars (Apple) used to be good and American cars (windows) poor and now Apple have gotten worse, while Microsoft have gotten better! It's nuts.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Sidecar features should have been doable on day 1 for iPads being used as external monitors with Macs. Could have started with Tethered and moved to wireless. And cutting Intel support for reference mode is stupid. But that is Apple these days.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I think I’m ok with that, my 2017 iMac still does everything I need, looking to upgrade within 12-18 months…

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
There's more UI changes and a WHOLE lot more API changes in macOS Ventura with Metal 3 API being one of them and its a huge upgrade over Metal 2.
Knowing Apple it will probably do nothing to improve performance on the 2019 MacPro workstation cards -- but we shall see soon enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.