Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
I always go with this: let them rot. They aint Listen warnings and can only see the money. A great manager will have the ability to see through money and beyond. Tim cook is not that guy.

There is no need to warn a company that is still peaking its value. Once the inevitable crash happens, they will enjoy their share of downturn just like everyone else, harder. I can’t wait to see that happening.
I can see it already. Just like NFLX and others, they'll get too confident and greedy. The all-time high Netflix stock closing price was 691.69 on November 17, 2021. Today the stock is worth 182.94 and they've started layoffs. I'm sure their shareholders are thrilled.

I love my Apple products, but I disagree with many of their decisions. I don't think SJ would be running the company the same way today. Apple has been down the road near bankruptcy before; nothing says it can't happen again.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
I’m a dev, developing in C#, power shell and python.
Only using MacBook M1 Pro.

No issues here, when needed I have win11 arm in paralleles.
And if I need anything else my company that I’m working for has VMware infrastructure so I can just connect to a VDi
Problem is when you need to run old Windows OSs for support. Don't have win11, do have server 2012 (and yes, it's what the customer uses). Old crap pays the bills.

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
Problem is when you need to run old Windows OSs for support. Don't have win11, do have server 2012 (and yes, it's what the customer uses). Old crap pays the bills.
Still can’t see the issue?
Either run a 2012 as test server and RDP to it or just run it as a VDI on what ever hypervisor you preference.

You can to the most against it with power shell that runs perfect on the m1 or use remote control

onthebuses

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2021
I can see it already. Just like NFLX and others, they'll get too confident and greedy. The all-time high Netflix stock closing price was 691.69 on November 17, 2021. Today the stock is worth 182.94 and they've started layoffs. I'm sure their shareholders are thrilled.

I love my Apple products, but I disagree with many of their decisions. I don't think SJ would be running the company the same way today. Apple has been down the road near bankruptcy before; nothing says it can't happen again.
You can't really compare Netflix and Apple. Netflix never really had anything of substance. Apple has a lot.
I would agree however than Apple appears to be moving away from its SJ era roots which made the Apple we knew great, and into something else. I think I will get off the Apple bus at the next product I need to buy. But at the same time many more thousands of people are moving to Apple. If it is going to go bust due to this path, it will take a decade or two.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
You can't really compare Netflix and Apple. Netflix never really had anything of substance. Apple has a lot.
I would agree however than Apple appears to be moving away from its SJ era roots which made the Apple we knew great, and into something else. I think I will get off the Apple bus at the next product I need to buy. But at the same time many more thousands of people are moving to Apple. If it is going to go bust due to this path, it will take a decade or two.
I wasn't trying to compare NFLX and AAPL apples to apples, pun intended. I was talking about two FAANG stocks that have been successful that don't always make decisions in the best interest of their customers. They shouldn't take their success, and the customers that gave it to them, for granted.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Still can’t see the issue?
Either run a 2012 as test server and RDP to it or just run it as a VDI on what ever hypervisor you preference.

You can to the most against it with power shell that runs perfect on the m1 or use remote control
How does that work using a Mac? You mean purchasing a pee-see as hardware and carrying that with you with cables and everyfing.

The point of a VM is you get the best of both worlds: Mac's niceness, WinDOS to pay the bills. When done, it's suspended and that's that. Doesn't matter where I am and I'm not required to have assorted pee-seees and WinDOS crap.

Have only recently updated from Catalina to Monterey because of the awful issues with migrating in the first place. Monterey completely hosed my machine due to bugs with Time Machine that utterly corrupted my SSD requiring a full format and re-install. As a result I bought another Intel 16" MBP which works well as a second development machine.

Am pretty much resigned to staying on Monterey as Apple sails off into the sunset adding loads of new unneeded features; new emoticons, wow.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
That's the deal-breaker for Apple. There's a lot of Win-DOS developers using Macs with Win-DOS running in VMs.

That's what earns us money to pay for the premium kit.
There are probably more x86 Linux developers using Macs for back end development and deploying to Docker or x86 Linux servers. ARM Docker and Linux is available but the ecosystem is not mature yet.

Reactions: Glenny2lappies

sinphildd

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2018
Here I am looking at all the crap apple is pulling with my 'expensive' intel macbook (the 2019 intel macbook was the most expensive apple ever sold, even top of the line m2 doesn't come close in price now), how are intel mac pro users feeling? The ones who spent north of $20,000...

The main issue for apple is going to be integration with the rest of the computing community once they fully isolate their OS to working on mobile architecture only. While every other desktop OS can handle all sorts of architectures and resulting files. If you think about having to 'deal' with an ipad when sending stuff to it from desktop, that is the future of mac. "File not recognised" etc, as soon as that intel support is fully removed and things are truly ARM only.

Like giving people the option to go 'all out' financially on the 2019 macbooks then basically "doesn't work on intel" (which is actually "apple hasn't bothered getting it to work on intel") is happening before my battery needs replacing.

If you want to know the future of macbook, which was comprised of parts from multiple vendors, now a device comprised of purely apple components...look to ipad. My 2018 ipad pro already won't run ipadOS 16 properly because apparently the cpu isn't capable, even though the A12X was relabelled as an M1 in the mac mini dev machines pre M1 launch.

My entire property won't even be able to fit all the macbooks about to be chucked out for no reason, not just hurting people's wallets but the environment as well with this behaviour.

In the meantime, apparently my $7000 8 core intel i9 can't handle live captioning in the OS but a browser running on Monterey can, I lose half hour out of my battery's 5 hours 100% charged doing this btw, but that's with chrome driving it all instead of the company that just charged me $7000 for a computer that apparently plays dead 3 years after purchase:
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 10.31.32 pm.png

Reactions: turbineseaplane

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Here I am looking at all the crap apple is pulling with my 'expensive' intel macbook (the 2019 intel macbook was the most expensive apple ever sold, even top of the line m2 doesn't come close in price now), how are intel mac pro users feeling? The ones who spent north of $20,000...

The main issue for apple is going to be integration with the rest of the computing community once they fully isolate their OS to working on mobile architecture only. While every other desktop OS can handle all sorts of architectures and resulting files. If you think about having to 'deal' with an ipad when sending stuff to it from desktop, that is the future of mac. "File not recognised" etc, as soon as that intel support is fully removed and things are truly ARM only.

Like giving people the option to go 'all out' financially on the 2019 macbooks then basically "doesn't work on intel" (which is actually "apple hasn't bothered getting it to work on intel") is happening before my battery needs replacing.

If you want to know the future of macbook, which was comprised of parts from multiple vendors, now a device comprised of purely apple components...look to ipad. My 2018 ipad pro already won't run ipadOS 16 properly because apparently the cpu isn't capable, even though the A12X was relabelled as an M1 in the mac mini dev machines pre M1 launch.

My entire property won't even be able to fit all the macbooks about to be chucked out for no reason, not just hurting people's wallets but the environment as well with this behaviour.

In the meantime, apparently my $7000 8 core intel i9 can't handle live captioning in the OS but a browser running on Monterey can, I lose half hour out of my battery's 5 hours 100% charged doing this btw, but that's with chrome driving it all instead of the company that just charged me $7000 for a computer that apparently plays dead 3 years after purchase:
View attachment 2101669
Imagine all the people in 1989 that bought a Apple IIgs spending allot of money how ticked they are today.

sinphildd

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2018
Imagine all the people in 1989 that bought a Apple IIgs spending allot of money how ticked they are today.
Imagine buying a 2019 intel macbook only released in november that year for apple to surprise announce their transition to arm cpu's in june 2020. The macbook's advert was false advertising too, touting things like 4x the performance in adobe creative suite compared to previous models with adobe turning around and stating that the amd 5500m gpu was unsupported (and still is). Why did apple even release the 2019 macbook only to move to arm 7 months later with support for it dropping inside warranty period.

Thermal throttling since monterey update and apple's excuses towards intel now sees my dual core 2016 mbp outperform this one at some tasks.

Are they actually that short-sighted? You support this?

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Imagine buying a 2019 intel macbook only released in november that year for apple to surprise announce their transition to arm cpu's in june 2020.
I don't care, haven't had any reason to buy an ARM Mac and don't have any reason to yet. But "surprise"? You were living under several extremely large rocks at once if you claim to be a techie and didn't know that's where Apple was going long before a press release.

sinphildd

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2018
I don't care, haven't had any reason to buy an ARM Mac and don't have any reason to yet. But "surprise"? You were living under several extremely large rocks at once if you claim to be a techie and didn't know that's where Apple was going long before a press release.
Seems like a bit of a disengenous response, apple went from saying they will support both platforms in to the foreseable future to dropping support and sales for intel. That press release came only 6 months after saying they'd support intel for 10 years, another lie to sell the last of their last intel macs. Year two since arm release and apparently emoji's can't show up in a speech recognition app and something my browser is already doing can't be done. Once it's all arm I'm sure you will have plenty of reasons to buy devices every 5 minutes, look over at the ipad pro 2018. 4 year old device and doesn't get proper OS updates anymore, what were apple living under a rock and didn't forsee that the device with the same cpu as their arm mac mini dev machines would be able to run ipadOS? Same thing happened with the 2nd ipad released, 4 years after OS updates got blocked. Apple got lambasted, they allowed updates on it again 2 years later up to iOS 9. But whatever, defend the trillion dollar company that's ripping people off with lies daily.

sunman42

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Maryland, USA
I was thrilled with the IIgs we bought in 1987. Added a faster processor, a boatload of memory (socketed chips!), and a SCSI card and a huge 20 Mbyte hard drive. Enjoyed the included BASIC compiler. Worked well for Apple, too, as it (and some experience with other folks' Macs at work, and then a II FX of which I was the primary user) convinced me to buy a Mac IIvx, followed by a Power Computing Power Center Pro 210, and then a long line of Macs. Hope to buy my first Apple Silicon Mac next year.

The only time I remember being vaguely upset at the IIgs was when I realized there were no terminal emulators for it, and I'd have to write my own.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwolf6589

E__F__

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2021
Chicago
A big one that I see lacking is the USB-C warning when connecting new devices. I could be wrong but from the bits I've read that is also not included on intel Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.