Here is why the iPhone is 3.5" according to Giz

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Carlanga, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

[​IMG]

Basically when you hold the iPhone in your left hand and articulate your thumb, you can reach almost exactly to the other side of the screen while in a bigger screen you can't unless you are very tall. :apple:

Gizmodo article

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

3. NoHo macrumors 6502

I love the 3.5in screen. Being able to do everything with one hand is better than having a slightly bigger screen and having to do everything with two hands.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Exactly! Sometimes I feel like I am the only one around here who uses my iPhone with one hand.

5. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I use mine with my left hand only all the time. The only time I ever use both hands if I'm typing out a really long email or something and I need to use both thumbs for more speeeeeeddddddd.

6. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Makes sense but I don't think that's the reason they haven't increased the size. Apple is just very into making all their products as small as possible.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So according to Apple we should use our phones one-handed, and be thankful they protected us from ourselves and our ill guided desire to (gasp) use it with two hands and enjoy a bigger screen?

Got it. Thank you Apple. What was I thinking? If I want a bigger screen I'll send you even more money and get an iPad...

[/sarcasm off]

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

What's stopping you from using the iPhone with two hands? So if they make it bigger, how is that going to go for us one handed users? At least with the size the way it is, we can use it either way.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

What are you doing with the other hand? mmmmmmm

jk

:D

10. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

There must be a lot of "little finger" people who are concerned about their limitations if the screen gets larger. I personally owned an android phone with a 4.1" screen and never had any issues reaching over the entire screen using the thumb from the same hand that is holding the phone.

If you've got little sausage fingers and you feel like your going to get embarrassed holding a large 4" phone in public, then don't buy phones that large. Otherwise, stop coming up with retarded excuses for why apple should keep the screen at 3.5".

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The children assembling the iPhones can't pickup the 4 inch screens with one hand.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

LOL! Ouch. Good one....

13. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

14. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I'm going from 4.3 to an iPhone and I don't mind at all. Obviously I wouldn't mind a bigger screen, but with the iPhone's resolution I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

15. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

Maybe there could be an option for one with a larger screen in the future, iPhone Pro :D

16. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I don't mind the 3.5 inch screen, but I would sure like a 4 inch. I also have a captivate and in MY hand it isn't much of an issue, although it is border line. I think 4 is the limit.

17. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Or perhaps female with smaller hands???????

Perhaps people should stop complaining that Apple didn't make a phone w/ a 4" screen and just go out and buy one that has it.

18. Kendo macrumors 68000

Hypocrisy at its finest.

So people with smaller hands shouldn't complain and buy a small phone, but those with largest hands are allowed to complain that the phone isn't bigger?

19. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

I did not mention gender in my post. Why do you have to bring gender into the equation. There are plenty of women and men who have both small and large fingers.

My point is that those with the small fingers need not be defending the small screen as if it is something great that we should all appreciate. If smaller was always better than you wouldn't have 70" televisions.

20. noobinator macrumors 601

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This is stupid. My thumb goes all way past the edge and I'm only 6' tall.

22. randymac88 macrumors regular

This is just a silly concept. I have a 4.3 inch EVO and if you just shift the phone in your hand so your four fingers are 3/4ths of the way across the back, instead of all the way across the phone's back, you have no problem covering the entire screen. I don't buy this explanation at all. And I don't have small sausage fingers, but I don't have long ones either.

23. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The problem is Apple only makes ONE PHONE. So the ONE PHONE has to cater to the most demographics it can cover. I have gotten too much invested into the Apple ecosystem to switch away from iOS now, so my little sausage fingers need to be able to use the iPhone. Unless Apple comes up with an iPhone Pro or something for people who desire a bigger screen, then it wouldn't matter.

24. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

People with the want for larger screens shouldn't be disparaging those who are fine w/ the smaller one. It's not the size that counts, but what you do with it ;). Bigger doesn't always mean better.

Who the hell needs a 70" TV?

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I do! The Mitsubishi 82" DLP is on my Xmas wish list...

The point is choice is good, and Apple is not exactly all about choices. And that's ok. You either buy into it or you don't. Or like some of us, you buy into it under protest... :)