Here we go again! Iphone 7 terrible screen quality

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Ok so finally I found a screen that looks good

Left is my first week 38. right is my week 41

Both jetblacks plus 256gb

Left one I felt was a bit washed out initially and colours didn't pop but i find a bit cooler Than right but I was ok with it until I noticed a speck of dust in the rear camera lense. The speck doesn't interfere but I requested a replacement which just arrive
It does create a static sound but u can hear it when u put ur ear to the back of the phone event through an apple case. But it's doesn't bother me

The right does has a static sound but it's so soft I cant even hear it though the case

Both look even to me. If anything the week 38 looks a tad brighter at the Bottom.

The week 41 is very even top to bottom.

Not sure which to return which to keep
I see zero difference. I am taking into account that the camera used to take the pictures is not perfect.
[doublepost=1477409998][/doublepost]
How are some of you getting 2, 3, 4 replacements and so many of us haven't even received our original order?
I have asked that question numerous times and have yet to get a real answer.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Is anyone with a yellow screen also noticing that colors are flat and washed out compared to the 6S Plus?

I'm holding both side-by-side and all the colors pop on my 6s plus, while they are washed out on my 7 plus. I use an app called 5miles, and while the buttons are normally orange, they look dull and brownish on my 7 plus

FunkyTang

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
I have gone through 3 iPhone 7 handsets now, I'm about to give up.
Apple still can't sort out their screens!!!

1st handset: very bad yellow tint to bottom of screen.

2nd handset: Noticeable dark patches across screen, very obvious one right in the centre, uneven backlight possibly? (still has yellow tint on bottom of screen)

3rd handset: I finally thought I'd found one that I could live with, still had yellow tint to bottom of screen but it wasn't as bad as the 1st. AND THEN I FOUND A DEAD PIXEL!

Does anyone here have a handset with a good screen??

I'm kind of reluctant to go for a 4th!

UPDATE: I decided to give up on the iPhone 7. I just don't think the screens are as good as Apple make out. To everyone here going on about the overall yellow screen compared to the 6s, that's not why I was returning mine.
I didn't like the uneven screen uniformity or color across the panel or the dead pixels I was getting.
I also feel a company that markets themselves as having such incredible and accurate screens should not get away with this.
So Apple, I am not buying the iPhone 7.
Here we go again. No pics to back up complaints.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Less bright means it doesn't pop as much. It's a fact, the 7 Plus is 20% less bright than the 6 Plus unless on auto and in direct light. I was hoping they would fix this in an update. Give us the choice for a more bright screen all the time.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Is anyone with a yellow screen also noticing that colors are flat and washed out compared to the 6S Plus?

I'm holding both side-by-side and all the colors pop on my 6s plus, while they are washed out on my 7 plus. I use an app called 5miles, and while the buttons are normally orange, they look dull and brownish on my 7 plus
Its a trademark of the cheap yellow cast backlights apples been using for years. Looks like they arent mixing in the more expensive backlights this year in a margin grab. Too bad we cant see those pixels in all their glory. Overall the screen is inferior and it has nothing to do with calibration.

Booloo

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Its a trademark of the cheap yellow cast backlights apples been using for years. Looks like they arent mixing in the more expensive backlights this year in a margin grab. Too bad we cant see those pixels in all their glory. Overall the screen is inferior and it has nothing to do with calibration.
Yep, Apple's iPhone 7 is a cash grab and their profit margins for their phones are so much higher than other manufactures.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/21/apples-iphone-7-more-expensive-to-make-ihs-markit.html

https://www.techwalls.com/production-costs-of-smartphones/

Booloo

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
You're right. So let's make blind assumptions instead. And ignore financial breakdowns when they know how much many of these components sell for for the manufactures. Logical.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
You're right. So let's make blind assumptions instead. And ignore financial breakdowns when they know how much many of these components sell for for the manufactures. Logical.
Not you nor anyone else knows of the arrangements, contracts, and negotiated prices of Apple components. We can plainly see as end users, however, that when Apple was presented with a choice in screens they went low-cost.

Booloo

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Being 100% sincere here. Why do you even want to use an iPhone? You have many issues with them. Samsung uses some very fast, state of the art components too. And their new amoled screens are fantastic. I'd look into a S7 Edge. They're nice phones.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Being 100% sincere here. Why do you even want to use an iPhone? You have many issues with them. Samsung uses some very fast, state of the art components too. And their new amoled screens are fantastic. I'd look into a S7 Edge. They're nice phones.
They definitely have more accurate screens right now. Im sticking with 6S until next year. Just because im critical of the 7 doenst mean i hate Apple, I just have no problem calling a spade a spade. Apple made a crap product, I call it like it is with no reservations. No part of my identity is reliant on apple product ownership.

Last edited:

Booloo

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012

Booloo

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Okay, so here's a few pics using my Nikon D5300 with a 35mm 1.8f lens.

If you read up on photography a little, the best way to get an accurate depiction is to do two things.

1. Avoid any possible background colors or light that will distract the sensor.

2. Have your shutter speed set as high as it can go without losing too much detail.

Screens have refresh rates. Slow shutter speeds will have negative effects on the image because of this and it won't give accurate depictions. Considering most of the pictures taken with a smartphone will have shutter speeds between 1/20th to 1/30th of a second, things won't be accurate.

Nikon D3300
35mm 1.8f
ISO 200
Auto multi-point focus
1/2500 shutter speed

One iPad. Two different phone models. The lack of detail just comes with the territory of such a fast shutter speed shot.

Attachments

Elwots

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
I honestly have no idea what the hype is about. I just got my 7+ today and the screen is great. I think it looks better than my 6S+ screen.

Reactions: bholt6