Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Worked both ways, Steve Jobs showed The Office at least 2 times during keynotes and that is what got me to watch it.
I find it funny that throughout the show, you can tell when NBC and Apple were on good and bad terms.
seasons 2 and 3: Michael buys an iPod video for the Christmas party that everyone wants, Michael makes his corporate video using a Mac, Michael previews a song from iTunes.
season four: Ryan forces the entire office to use blackberries, Michael download a song from Amazon MP3, etc.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I can’t believe the WSJ wasted time doing this. There’s absolutely nothing newsworthy about it. It’s just clickbait crap.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
For clarity, Apple neither invented nor is the only company to place products in shows. Neither did they invent the rules by which those products are shown. When Dell has product placement in a show and all you see are Dell logos on every computer that is not "Dell-washing"?

While feigned outrage plays well on MacRumours in this case it is completely divorced from reality.
Fair comment - I just tend to notice Apple products as opposed to anything else. Tim and Co really do push the beautiful people stuff though - no doubt we will see some more nauseating ads tomorrow!

Reactions: decypher44

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
And everyone always has a current-gen (current for when it was recorded, that is) device. A new season always brings insta-upgrades for everyone.

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
They also don't like to see their products destroyed as an iPhone survived completely undamaged after it was involved in a bicycle getting hit by a car accident in Ted Lasso.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I find it funny that throughout the show, you can tell when NBC and Apple were on good and bad terms.
seasons 2 and 3: Michael buys an iPod video for the Christmas party that everyone wants, Michael makes his corporate video using a Mac, Michael previews a song from iTunes.
season four: Ryan forces the entire office to use blackberries, Michael download a song from Amazon MP3, etc.
To be fair, during the time of filming season 4, Blackberry was still the standard for corporations and enterprise.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
It’s no worse than Sony products all over bond films. But I find Sony products in Bond particularly jarring as no one uses Sony mobiles 🤣. But with Apple it’s not beyond belief that their products are as widely used as they appear in shows.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
“Strategic?” They’re literally all over the place in their shows. Other than “For All Mankind” and “See,” for obvious reasons, it’s like Apple is the only tech company in these worlds. Funny part was when they were busted for editing out the notch on an iPhone 12 in an episode of Ted Lasso a couple weeks ago, as it proves even Apple is embarrassed about that thing.
Ha, Ha, you know they've gone to far when you see a 24" Pink iMac, from 2021, on the American Moon base in the 1970"s :p Or maybe Jason Momoa on SEE taking a call on the iPhone 13 Pro. ?

darkcompass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
Thats nothing new. In movies of the 90's and 00's people using Apple Products were the good guys, and the villans used PCs. Jack Bauer was the exception, he used Nokia and Handspring (alternative Palm Pilot makers) against the PC using terrorists.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
It’s not just Apple TV+, it is most shows on most networks (at least the ones that I watch), though the Apple logo is often obscured. I think it’s because many people consider Apple products to be “iconic” and they are readily available in the studios. That and Apple has a great product place team.
When you see the logo has been obscured, a process refer to as "greeking", as in "hey, greek out that logo" it is a case where the manufacturer is not paying for product placement. The production company does not want to feature the logo because that could cause problems with other advertisers (speaking broadcast TV) and/or lead to litigation if the owner of the logo feels it is not being used appropriately.

So why have an Apple product on-screen when you do not have to? One reason I am very familiar with is that at the end of the show equipment used as props, set dec, etc, is often sold off at a discount (not so much in Hollywood, perhaps, but up here in Canada). So at the end of the show would you rather buy a Mac at 50% or a Dell? Yeah, that's right.

Last edited:

darkcompass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
I sometimes look for the product placement, it's a game. It's like finding Alfred Hitchcock in all his films.

knappeduivel

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Amsterdam
I positively LONG for an advert showing a grossly fat family glued to their sofas, ordering a shipping container of fried chicken to be delivered to their door, and them using the iPhone and/or watches to order and pay for their tasty meal.
Keep on wishing. Some day your dream will come true.

LeMo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2020
It's not just the tech, it's also watches, cars, everything. This is a big business, product positioning is massive.

Sex/Life is another similar product-promotion show from phones and macbooks to a fingerprint-free Jaguar and expensive watches and clothing throughout.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Meh. Apple products already are high recognition and look good. Of course they will use them in the showswhenever the setting contains electronics.

I doubt Apple invested in appletv+ for commercial tie ins.

Reactions: NetMage

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
“Strategic?” They’re literally all over the place in their shows. Other than “For All Mankind” and “See,” for obvious reasons, it’s like Apple is the only tech company in these worlds. Funny part was when they were busted for editing out the notch on an iPhone 12 in an episode of Ted Lasso a couple weeks ago, as it proves even Apple is embarrassed about that thing.
Notch is forever better than the Anus Camera Prosser predicts for the iPhone 14.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Lastly, with plot connections, Apple TV+ show writers and producers aim to make direct emotional and physiological connections for viewers between a device and a character's life story. As referenced in the video, in particular scenes of Ted Lasso, Ted can be seen using his iPhone to help him connect with his wife as they complete a divorce.
In other words, if you're going through a divorce, Apple devices can help you finalize it. That's a unique sales pitch.

Apple is becoming a laughing stock.
The more Apple stock you have, the more you laugh.

Reactions: jazz1

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
C342950D-369A-45F9-8197-B5E854AF6003.jpeg

Like this

Reactions: jazz1

iMattPro

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2021
I don't notice the product placement...because I don't give a ****! So I'm not looking for it. I own and use Apple products, and everyone I know and work with does. The sight of iPhones, MacBooks, and the sounds they make are all part of my every day life. So seeing and hearing them in a TV show is as natural as seeing clothing on people and hearing cars drive by.

Also, for context, Mythic Quest shows PLENTY of non-Apple devices. Dell laptops, LG, Asus and Samsung displays, even their Quarantine episode looked like a Zoom call, rather than Group FaceTime.

Show me just 1 Apple product in any of these glorious set photos: https://www.hucksterproductions.com/mythic-quest
Don't worry, I'll wait...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.