Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
it’s like Apple is the only tech company in these worlds
Yes...?

What else do you expect from a tech company, who also happens to make shows now? To feature the latest Galaxy phones? LOL

Except for certain people, SPOILERS AHEAD
Some people in Defending Jacob use the Dell XPS laptops, instead of the MacBooks (I also remember seeing some old af Galaxy phone but could be wrong) and it is only the bad guys. Apple is notorious for not letting villains use their products in movies/shows, even their own ones

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Maybe it because I use apple products myself but I feel like they are overdoing it in Lasso. Bit cringey for me. Not needed. The ringtone. The phone. The phone. The phone. The ringtone again. Too much Mr Cook.

ApostolisApo

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Gothenburg
I am not sure what to deduce about Apple executives' intelligence or American audience's perception if they think that just because a bad guy is using an Apple device this somehow means something bad about the brand :D

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
or they just get guidlines beforehand, while signing and producing and stuff, that they have to use Apple products whenever possible...

All in all, there's probably a team in marketing that handles stuff like this, definitely not teams of people in super secret Apple mind control labs.
Guidelines. That is exactly it. When I am working on a show with product placement we will get guidelines on how the product must be placed in frame. Sometimes a product placement will be scripted but, again, it is based on guidelines. In most cases product placement is dealt with through a third party company whose job is to tie productions with products. I doubt, however, that Apple marketing is that far removed from  tv+. I also doubt that anyone from Apple is on-set to co-ordinate product placement. This is not a new concept to anyone working on-set, they know how it is done.

For those who are noticing more product placement on all platforms, well, you are right. With the ability to skip commercials on broadcast television and the growing dominance of streaming platforms marketing departments are trying to find ways to get products in front of eyeballs. And whether it works for you as an individual it has been found that product placement is more effective, especially with younger generations, than ads. It is done because it works. Go figure.

I am a huge fan of Terry O'Reilly's CBC podcast Under the Influence. Check it out, he covers marketing in film and television in a couple episodes at least.

Reactions: NetMage and mw360

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Annoying and ridiculous product placement in Ted Lasso. Apple is becoming a laughing stock.
How is it annoying and ridiculous? Storytellers use the best visual cues to tell their stories with the least amount of friction or distraction. Do you really think Apple should show and extreme close up of a Pixel or Samsung phone to an audience that is comprised of 90% iPhone users?

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
A report from last year notes how Apple is deliberate in making sure that "bad guys" or villains in movies and shows are not seen using Apple devices since it may reflect poorly on Apple's image.
That's the funniest thing I've heard today! ?

On another note, no newspaper mention that on Mythic Quest, they display PCs in the dev studio? Of course it makes sense, they work on video games.

DeepWebinar

Suspended
Aug 9, 2020
Strategically? Idk, I can’t stand any of their shows, but when I tried to watch Ted Lasso and The Morning Show, it seems like their strategy was to cram an iPhone or Mac into every other shot.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Maybe it because I use apple products myself but I feel like they are overdoing it in Lasso. Bit cringey for me. Not needed. The ringtone. The phone. The phone. The phone. The ringtone again. Too much Mr Cook.

I mean the story arc in this series is about a dating app so I don’t mind too much. Pretty unavoidable with that story.

cesarbm

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
Apple's product placement has been going on for decades. Jerry had a Mac on his desk on Seinfeld, The Net with Sandra Bullock was full Apple "ad" movie, Coke and Apple where the champions of product placement back in the '90s and I see that they continue to be on top. I just watched the second season of Modern Love on Amazon Prime and there is a fair amount of Apple products and on Only Murders in The Building on Hulu there are also Apple products. I don't necessarily see more Apple products on AppleTV+ series than on other streaming services or network TV. Samsung and Microsoft are trying to catch up.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
You are twisting the logic here big time. Apple not wanting to associate their products ON SCREEN with villains/bad guys obviously makes sense to them. The subconscious mind and all.

There is no logic there that I could begin to twist, unfortunately. That idea/ notion is so absurd. so brittle, it can't even be played with just a little. It exists only for stoking and stroking the egos of Apple snobs, for whom tools and mediums to get things done are somehow validations of their selves and their choices in life.

It is one thing to advertise a product by placing it in the storyline as a prop and it is completely different when it goes as bad guys must not be seen with said products. Wouldn't we all wish that bad guys did not breathe like the rest of us? Does that happen? Can that happen? So, why might bad guys not be seen with a certain product?

If they are not shown on screen does not and can not mean it does not happen in real life. Like I said, the idea is so absurd and brittle it cannot even be played with.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
Apple product placements in Apple TV+ shows are very bothersome to me. It’s too blatant at times and I find it really annoying.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
There is no logic there that I could begin to twist, unfortunately. That idea/ notion is so absurd. so brittle, it can't even be played with just a little. It exists only for stoking and stroking the egos of Apple snobs, for whom tools and mediums to get things done are somehow validations of their selves and their choices in life.

It is one thing to advertise a product by placing it in the storyline as a prop and it is completely different when it goes as bad guys must not be seen with said products. Wouldn't we all wish that bad guys did not breathe like the rest of us? Does that happen? Can that happen? So, why might bad guys not be seen with a certain product?

If they are not shown on screen does not and can not mean it does not happen in real life. Like I said, the idea is so absurd and brittle it cannot even be played with.
Its almost like you’re new to the world, and the first thing you have seen is apple doing product placements before anything else. Do you realise that every company does the same and has done since television was invented, which was long before apple was?

Reactions: yaxomoxay

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Apple has data mined the viewers, they know you are watching this particular show and have placed product placement ads. Viewers are paying atv subscription to get ads. Imo this is worse than what Google does.

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
I'm only a couple of episodes into "Only Murders in the Building" on Hulu. I've seen just as many if not more Apple products in there than any show on AppleTV+. So either it doesn't matter the platform, or the creators of that show reeeeaaaaallllyyyyy had hoped to sell the series to Apple!

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Apple has data mined the viewers, they know you are watching this particular show and have placed product placement ads. Viewers are paying atv subscription to get ads. Imo this is worse than what Google does.

really can’t work out if this is serious or not.

arlomedia

macrumors member
May 5, 2021
That sounds like a problem only your MBP has. My touch bar MBP from 2016 can get closed just fine abruptly.
Yes, I was sharing a personal anecdote, not making a general claim about how laptops work.

Also laptops have these things called batteries in them. Means they can work for a period of time without being plugged in
Huh, it seems like your eagerness to condescendingly explain basic concepts caused you to miss the point of my post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.