Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
We know it, they know it, and the American people know it. JUST put Dashboard back already! 🙄 I'll trade my F3 key! Make it trigger Dashboard instead of Launchpad - something that I've used like 4 times. (Then apologize to Konfabulator for whatchya did!)
Dashboard? Never heard of it , gotta check out !

Reactions: AdamJD

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Once upon a time the dashboard, i liked it, i had few but useful widgets, and i was fine with them. Then, dont remember in which macos, uncle cook decided its useless, removed it, and replaced it with interactive widgets on notification center. I spent months to find worthy substitutes to my favourite dashboard widgets. I even paid some of them. Then in the next macos, uncle cook, again, decided to remove the notification center interactivity, making all my widgets useless. I had to find apps that stay in the upper bar to replace them. Now, again, uncle cook decides to bring back interactive widgets, then, again and again, will remove them in 1-2 years. No thanks!

Last edited:

Elmo1938

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
NYC
very interesting. but; I can't remember what I had for breakfast. These "how to" articles would be more useful after the updated software is released.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
Easy response: just don’t add any widgets. Problem solved.

Not sure why you would deny this to all the rest of us who actually like this feature though.
Like all those who like the App Library in iOS? I might feel better about this if I could totally turn off the App Library. I've said this numerous times before but it's time for Apple to offer Lite versions of MacOS and iOS. Too many annoying features of questionable value while the basic operation of the software keeps getting buggier and buggier.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Positive: I used, liked, and miss Dashboard, so it's cool to see a variant of it return. Being able to share a hot-corner with a show-desktop shortcut is also efficient if you want to see all of it.

Negative: It seems like this will not interact well for those of us whose desktop routinely ends up being a solid wall of screenshots and temporary file icons. Hopefully there either is or will be a way to pretty much replicate Dashboard by letting them live elsewhere, although I guess I could take this as encouragement to clean up my dang desktop.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Positive: I used, liked, and miss Dashboard, so it's cool to see a variant of it return. Being able to share a hot-corner with a show-desktop shortcut is also efficient if you want to see all of it.

Negative: It seems like this will not interact well for those of us whose desktop routinely ends up being a solid wall of screenshots and temporary file icons. Hopefully there either is or will be a way to pretty much replicate Dashboard by letting them live elsewhere, although I guess I could take this as encouragement to clean up my dang desktop.

Or use the Stage Manager feature that hides all of your desktop icons.

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
So, to summarise, a half hearted attempt to bring back the functionality of Dashboard.....?

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
What's good about these (and yes, they're available on Intel macs - it's what I have) is that they're widgets from my phone's apps.

They keep themselves updated by magic (I have Bluetooth turned off on my phone and laptop). OK, it's via iCloud of course.

For example, I have desktop widgets now from iOS apps Readdle Calendars and Pedometer. They keep in sync with the phone.

Hint: Turn on the monochrome mode for widgets in Settings. They look great. You can duplicate them (in colour) in the Notification Centre thing if you wish.

View attachment 2222397
Mono is the way to go for decluttering the clutters. It actually looks clean on my desktop. I also use iPhone widgets (the sync is instant). Apple is going hard on continuity in preparation for Vision Pro.

Reactions: adrianlondon

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
I actually like this. Having the calendar and reminders on my desktop would help with my memory . Even though I use it on phone, for me, this would be perfect So I don’t have to keep reaching out for my iPad or iPhone.

Joosst

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Dashboard had actual useful widgets like a calculator, a unit converter and sticky notes...
Does anyone think that usefulness will return?

With this new implementation it seems like developers can't just make a stand-alone widget anymore? It's basically a big icon that leads to an app? So a stand-alone sticky note is probably not even possible?

I'm still super annoyed they killed off dashboard. Slamming your cursor in a corner was by far the quickest way to get to a calculator.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Can you pick which monitor you want them on in a multiple monitor set up? Would be pretty slick if you can!

Yes you can! And it’s as good as you are suggesting. I put stuff I want to monitor on my second display.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Dashboard had actual useful widgets like a calculator, a unit converter and sticky notes...

With this new implementation it seems like developers can't just make a stand-alone widget anymore? It's basically a big icon that leads to an app? So a stand-alone sticky note is probably not even possible?

I'm still super annoyed they killed off dashboard. Slamming your cursor in a corner was by far the quickest way to get to a calculator.

These are interactive widgets. So that usefulness - and more - will return.

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009

Highly doubt we would ever see a return to one, the functionality, two the community support for widget design. Likely either locked down or just too darn complicated for wide spread community support.

Claims interactive, but at this point must assume severely constrained.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.