Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you have an Apple Vision Pro, you're undoubtedly going to get requests from friends and family members who want to give it a try. The headset is primarily designed for a single user because of the customized fit of the Light Seal, but Apple planned for demos with a built-in Guest Mode.

Apple-WWCD23-Vision-Pro-EyeSight-230605.jpg

Apple warns that guests might not be able to get an optimal fit, but Apple recommends having the person test both the Solo Knit and Dual Loop Bands. Apple suggests that guests should have their own personalized Light Seal, but Light Seals are priced at $200, so that's quite a steep add-on cost.

Guests can try Vision Pro with a customizable Guest User section. Apple says that to limit access to apps, a passcode should be set. Apps that you don't want the guest to use should be closed, and apps you want to demo should be opened.
How to Start a Guest User Session

1. Open the Control Center by looking up and tapping the down button at the top of the view.
  2. Tap on the Control Center button to open up more options.
  3. Tap on the Guest User button.
  4. Tap Allowed Apps under the Guest User window. Select from Open Apps Only to limit access, or All Apps & Data for unrestricted access.
  5. Tap on the back button, and then tap on Start. You'll get a notification that you have five minutes to hand the headset over to the guest user. If you don't hand it over within five minutes, Guest User turns off and the Vision Pro locks.
Apple says that if you tap on View Mirroring while in the Control Center, you can see what your guest is seeing on Vision Pro on one of your other Apple devices.

You will need to walk your guest through using Vision Pro, and they may need to press and hold on the Digital Crown until the displays align and a green checkmark appears. A hand and eye setup will follow so the Vision Pro responds appropriately.

How to End a Guest User Session

To end a Guest User session, the guest simply needs to remove the Vision Pro. The next time you wear your Vision Pro, it will return to your personal hand and eye settings.

Guest User Options

During a Vision Pro Guest session, a guest can access all apps and data or just the apps you've allowed. Any open app will have full access, so if you open Photos, they can see your images, or in Apple Music, they can listen to your content.

Guests will not have access to your Apple ID, Persona, or Wallet & Apple Pay.

Guests do have access to a selection of settings such as accessibility, an option to redo eye and hand setup, and an option to learn more about the Guest User experience.

Article Link: Here's How to Let Someone Else Try Your Apple Vision Pro

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I honestly have no idea how they can justify charging 200$ for another light seal, which is basically just a piece of rubber. Is this some twisted upselling strategy like „a light seal is 200 bucks, I might as well spent another 3,2k on another AVP for my partner“.

You’d think they want to make it a pleasant experience for family members and throw in another fit for free for word of mouth.

antnythr

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2020
Not having multiple persistent user profiles would be a big issue in our house. We’re obviously not going to buy multiple headsets so each person can have their own profile. Hopefully this is something that gets addressed, because it’s a huge limitation.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Too complicated. I'll have to buy another for my wife.

Yeah I cant see my wife being that patient to sit through all that just to have a guest mode, but she might surprise me. She loves Avatar so that might be the ticket. While I wish there was a persistent second user mode, I can see how that might be problematic for the light seal, and I wish the same for the iPad. I dont like all of Apple's rules, this is my pet peeve.

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
This is the most personal device they’ve ever made that even needs a special fitting per head yet they added a guest mode. It’s obvious they did this just so other people can get to experience seeing VR for the first time and get wowed by that. Cmon bring multiuser support to iPads you cowards.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
It's absolute lunacy that this is a $3500 device and it doesn't have official multi-user capability.

Why didn't they just have these things run MacOS? The hardware is capable, yet they've basically crippled the devices with a less capable OS which can't even handle multiple users.

I believe, unfortunately, that they want the Mac to be a dead-end platform. This was designed from the ground up to be an iPad for your actual eyes, especially from the standpoint of software. Doesn't help they neglected the iPad so badly.

We will never see a new device launched with a general purpose computing platform on it ever again. Mark my words. By general purpose I mean you can program for it, on it, and use software without the platform vendor's explicit permission.

sfkeepay

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
I’m not sure if my family resents me more because I ordered one for myself, or because of the $200 I’m charging each of them to try it. Oh well. Just another reason for my in-laws to hate me.

(update) turns out my mother-in-law is more upset about the insurance bond, but you can’t please everyone…))

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
I’m not sure if my family resents me more because I ordered one for myself, or because of the $200 I’m charging each of them to try it. Oh well. Just another reason for my in-laws to hate me.

(update) turns out my mother-in-law is more upset about the insurance bond, but you can’t please everyone…))
A friend of mine (finance law) always says: no matter how bad a business is - you can always make a hedge fond out of it 🤣.

Last edited:

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
Not having multiple persistent user profiles would be a big issue in our house. We’re obviously not going to buy multiple headsets so each person can have their own profile. Hopefully this is something that gets addressed, because it’s a huge limitation.
Just share one ringtone 😂.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Apple did this with the ipad.. only allowing single user profiles..
Sharing a Mac is much bigger deal in my house. Wife and kids share a MBA, but wife has her own iPad Pro, and kids share an iPad. For a 3500 Vision Pro, I want maximum use, and not be tied to a person using it. Hopefully, Apple can give the ability to adjust the size with Small, Medium and large attachment fittings in the future. Who ever is home can use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.