Here's What the iPhone 8 With Edge-to-Edge Display Looks Like in a Case

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The upcoming "iPhone 8" features super slim bezels at the top and the sides, effectively introducing an edge-to-edge display, raising the question of how cases will look on the device.

Though the iPhone 8 is still unannounced and weeks away from launching, case makers started developing cases for the device months ago thanks to iPhone 8 dummy models that are circulating based on leaked schematics and design details sourced from Apple suppliers like Foxconn.

We got our hands on a couple of iPhone 8 dummies and iPhone 8 cases designed by Yesgo and Olixar, and have created a video to show off what the iPhone 8 might look like in a case.

The cases come in a wide range of styles, but all share a vertical dual-camera cutout for the camera, cutouts and support for an elongated power button on the right side, and appropriate cutouts for the speaker and the Lightning port on the bottom of the device.

Some of the cases include a cutout that displays the Apple logo, and all cases accommodate the volume buttons and mute switch on the left side of the device. Because of the very slim side bezels that remain on the iPhone 8, it supports a case that wraps up around the sides of the display a bit.

These kinds of cases have a bit of a lip that's designed to protect the display of an iPhone, and this sort of case will still be supported on the iPhone 8.

Apple made the iPhone 8 from glass this year to support inductive wireless charging, and while we don't know all the details on how it works, the iPhone 8 is likely able to charge with a case on so long as the case is not made of metal.

We can't be 100 percent sure that the cases and the dummy model in the video are accurate representations of what we can expect when the iPhone 8 launches, but they match up with factory specifications, part leaks, CAD drawings, data culled from the HomePod, and more, so we believe they offer up a clear picture of what we can expect.

There's often a lot of money that goes into these dummy models because it can be lucrative to be first on the market with a case for a new iPhone. In past years, dummy models and case leaks have provided an accurate early look at unreleased iPhones.

Last week, we checked out a dummy model on its own to show off the prospective design of the iPhone 8, so make sure to take a look at that video, too.

With September fast approaching, we've only got a few weeks to go until Apple unveils the iPhone 8 and its companion devices, the 4.7-inch iPhone 7s and the 5.5-inch iPhone 7s Plus. Based on past dates, it's likely Apple will hold an event during the first two full weeks of September.

Both Yesgo and Olixar are already advertising their iPhone 8 cases on their websites and taking pre-orders, although they won't begin shipping until after the new phone launches. For those looking for other accessories, Yesgo is offering MacRumors readers an exclusive 30 percent off of Apple Watch Milanese Loop bands including ones with integrated bumpers using coupon code T29CENYG.

Yesgo is also offering a 20 percent discount on iPhone 7 and 7 Plus cases with coupon code YVDYDZ7T, but you can do even better on Amazon, where the cases are available at an extra 30 percent off of already discounted prices using promo code BACDWL4X:

- iPhone 7 Black case
    - iPhone 7 Plus Black case
    - iPhone 7 Rose Gold case
    - iPhone 7 Plus Rose Gold case

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Yesgo and Amazon and may earn commissions on purchases made through links in this article.

Article Link: Here's What the iPhone 8 With Edge-to-Edge Display Looks Like in a Case

2. colbertnation macrumors regular

The pictures of the white bezel in the front makes it look like a cheap Android knock off... not sure if I'd want to see that thing around. Black bezel is definitely more fitting from these pictures.

3. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

I was just going to say before I watched the video, you know these "Case Designers" get gutted models shipped to them about 30 days before release. They HAVE TO!

4. Relentless Power, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Perhaps I am a minorty here, but I use my iPhone without a case, at least where I can appreciate the design more. However, The September Keynote really needs to get here. I'm ready to see what this new iPhone is all about.

5. Avieshek, Aug 18, 2017

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

I wonder, if one can actually be surprised during the actual Apple event.

6. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I'm starting to get really hyped for this new iPhone! Biggest change since 2014! We're only about a month away from the release date!

7. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

It truy looks odd, like an iPhone in a ottabox case or something

8. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Why do all cases have a cutout for the logo? I buy iPhones because I find them the best to use. I have no interest in showing off that I have one.

9. chipb macrumors member

That dude has a weird thumb...
    --- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2017 ---
    I tried to use mine this weekend without the case. Lasted about 3 hours. Just can't do it.

10. Geert76 macrumors 65816

I am also really getting hyped for this new iPhone, but jeez.....that camera bump is like really really fugly!

11. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Who are you, Mr. Steve Jobs? That's the thing.

12. fumi2014 macrumors regular

I'm going to wait for reviews and user experiences before getting this. New design, face-recognition ID and wireless charging, plenty of kinks to iron out. By January, they'll be readily available.

13. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

I've always hated cases, especially those with the piece cut out for the Apple logo. I get why so many choose a case and if you need one, great. But are you really that insecure that you need to show off the fact that you've got an iPhone so people know even when it's set face-down?

14. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

15. Kenn_ju macrumors newbie

Kenn_ju

At this point, my 7 Plus may be worth keeping another year. I don't want face unlock and have to see my ugly mug each time I want to use my phone. I just use Touch ID too much.

Unless it's implemented under the screen.

16. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

17. slicktor macrumors member

slicktor

If that camera bump is real. I think a case is necessary to help hide it and just balance the back.

18. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

I will not put iPhone 8 in the case due to its beauty and different design from its predecessor. This is will be the first time for me of not using the case for the iPhone.

19. Relentless Power, Aug 18, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Its to signify branding. It's just to show which case is being paired with what phone. And that's always how it's been with the iPhone, is showing the Apple logo through the back. Case manufacturers want their name known to be paired with most popular phone in the world, which is the iPhone.

20. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

With all the cameras and sensors at the top of the white dummy, it just looks too busy and somewhat ugly to me.

21. Sunny1990, Aug 18, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I perfer black front atleast in this case. White front doesn't look so good in a case.

Edit :- Cases with cutout on the back for Apple logo never pleased to me. Here is a plain case I would like to have. Blends in perfectly with black front

55007225-DEF7-4FEB-9E81-DBB2849C58EB.jpeg

22. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

23. euvnairb macrumors regular

Is the backside of the new iphone going to be glass? If so, I'll probably just get a screen protector-type shield for both sides and not have a case.

24. apolloa, Aug 18, 2017

apolloa macrumors G4

Forget those videos, this is the best one yet as you gives you a real perspective of the size by comparing the iPhone 8 mock ups to the S8, IF this is the real design they launch. And I have to say damn you Apple for making a phone size I want....

25. cppguy macrumors 6502

You buy a phone with no bezel, then you put it in a case to add a big bezel.