Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
At a certain wealth level, $900 is functionally the same as $9. I step over a penny, but to Bill Gates a $100 bill represents an even smaller fraction of his worth than $0.01 does to mine.

Not saying I'd buy this case if I were a billionaire, but if I liked it then cost isn't going to stop me.
You're right of course, but I think it misses the point, depending on your outlook.

For me, it's not about whether or not $900 is a lot of money. There's just something perverse about spending that amount of money on something which, intrinsically speaking, is not worth that valuation. There are better products for protecting your AirPods at a fraction of the cost. Hell, buy a second pair of AirPods! I couldn't, in good faith, throw that amount of money down the drain when there are so many good causes it could go to instead.

You could buy an overpriced, statement, protective case for, say, $200 - and give $700 to people who genuinely need it.

Don't mistake what I'm saying though. I'm not saying you should never buy anything expensive. A $930 AirPods case is nothing compared to a new car and I don't see any issue with people buying new cars! But I would see a moral problem with someone buying a Toyota Camry for $500,000 just because another 'high-end' brand had put their logo on it.

Hopefully one day you will be a billionaire. But if I were you, even when money is no object, I'd still object to paying ridiculous sums of money to companies that, frankly, haven't done enough to earn it - and I say that as an Apple user!

• Disagree
Reactions: LestâtMayfair

JustinKent

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
I believe that Apple should divest from all leather products. They have so many initiatives focused on ethics and the environment... it doesn't feel right to me that they're slaughtering a bunch of cows to make watch bands and wallets. Leave it to Hermes and other 3rd parties.

Reactions: AgeOfSpiracles

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I believe that Apple should divest from all leather products. They have so many initiatives focused on ethics and the environment... it doesn't feel right to me that they're slaughtering a bunch of cows to make watch bands and wallets. Leave it to Hermes and other 3rd parties.

They slaughter a bunch of cattle for beef. The leather is an extra by product.

Apple leather cases are the only cases I use. Simple, clean lines.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Buy two, get a third for 5% off. They put out a pure bargain like that an I may strongly consider a purchase.

pumac

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2020
Edinburgh
It may be overpriced and elitist, but they are not made in sweat shops. Like all Hermes goods, they are made by skilled workers in ateliers in France, Italy and Spain using the finest leather and tanning methods. You are buying into a heritage, an expensive heritage, but you are also doing so being part of the Apple ecosystem. Apple products are expensive, you can by an Android cell phone for a couple of hundred bucks, even less, it does the job, but you choose Apple, why not choose Hermes if you can afford it?

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
"Hermès's Swift leather is not water resistant."

How do you even make leather that unfit for purpose? Are they breeding special water-permeable cows in the hope of getting repeat purchases?

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
People here posting in Hermes' defence missed the point. It's not the price. I like the brand. We are all Apple users so we are aware of the high prices compared to its Windows PC and Android counterparts.

I just have more common sense in protecting a product AT LEAST a third less than the protection case itself. I would buy two or three of the AirPod Pros as replacements than have a case that won't last as long as the product it's serving.

LestâtMayfair

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2016
You're right of course, but I think it misses the point, depending on your outlook.

For me, it's not about whether or not $900 is a lot of money. There's just something perverse about spending that amount of money on something which, intrinsically speaking, is not worth that valuation. There are better products for protecting your AirPods at a fraction of the cost. Hell, buy a second pair of AirPods! I couldn't, in good faith, throw that amount of money down the drain when there are so many good causes it could go to instead.

You could buy an overpriced, statement, protective case for, say, $200 - and give $700 to people who genuinely need it.

Don't mistake what I'm saying though. I'm not saying you should never buy anything expensive. A $930 AirPods case is nothing compared to a new car and I don't see any issue with people buying new cars! But I would see a moral problem with someone buying a Toyota Camry for $500,000 just because another 'high-end' brand had put their logo on it.

Hopefully one day you will be a billionaire. But if I were you, even when money is no object, I'd still object to paying ridiculous sums of money to companies that, frankly, haven't done enough to earn it - and I say that as an Apple user!
You sir, and quite the number of hypocritical commenters, clearly have no understanding of Hermes, the brand, the history, nor the quality. A comparison of Hermes to being a Toyota Camry with another brand’s name slapped on it, is misinformed and misguided. Hermes is the Bentley and better of leather goods. Everything is handmade by artisans particularly trained by Hermes, mostly in France, in the same traditions of 186 years. Hermes owns its entire supply chain of animal farms around the world including premium and prestige farms of cattle and alligators in the USA. Additionally, while yes, many people with rich ambitions and aspirations purchase the brand, though let’s not be juvenile enough to diminish the fact that brands like Hermes are multi-billion dollar corporations because their target and main consumer base are an extremely wealthy customer that has an avg. yearly spend of $250k+/year.

Hermes goods are made by product development and production workers that are paid on average €40-70/hr. depending on experience. All of its leather goods are made in Italy or France from the best leather in the world. If you want cheaper goods then there plenty of options that are actually made in sweatshops, Hermes isn’t one of them. There are also other luxury brands with lower-priced accessories, also not made in sweatshops, but are also not Hermes.

If you don’t understand a price point that’s fine, but don’t ignorantly speak about a brand you know nothing about, especially when it’s a brand that is truely one of the few that maintains the highest standard of quality for the exclusivity of product assortment.

It’s quite strange when we’re all Apple Fanboys/girls here that understand the premium nature of Apple products, though you speak negatively about Apple’s choice in partnerships that are in line with the highest standard of product assortments that Apple provides you. If you don’t like it, or can’t afford it, then move on, but don’t diminish the caliber and quality of a product you clearly know nothing about, period.

I was raised as a luxury consumer; which is why initially I became an Apple customer 26 years ago, at 17. I am also a techy, and that merges my interests because while Apple may not be the most innovative in some aspects, it is the premium experience in all aspects, which is why it’s luxury. If we as Apple customers wanted the cheap, fast version of everything, we’d get Androids, just as if I wanted cheap sweatshop leather, I’d buy an accessory on Amazon. Buy what you like, if it provides value that you understand, otherwise, it’s ok to be quiet when you don’t have the right information, thank you.

LestâtMayfair

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2016
It may be overpriced and elitist, but they are not made in sweat shops. Like all Hermes goods, they are made by skilled workers in ateliers in France, Italy and Spain using the finest leather and tanning methods. You are buying into a heritage, an expensive heritage, but you are also doing so being part of the Apple ecosystem. Apple products are expensive, you can by an Android cell phone for a couple of hundred bucks, even less, it does the job, but you choose Apple, why not choose Hermes if you can afford it?
Exactly, it's truly unfair to speak about a brand when they know nothing about it, it's history, nor it's product development and supply chain process. At the same time glorifying Apple, a luxury tech brand, yet whenever its luxury brand partnerships release products for those same luxury Apple products, there is an uproar. The replies are unbalanced and misinformed, thanks for your post.

LestâtMayfair

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2016
Hermes' price is 95% brand. The material and craftsmanship is good but if you are into leather it's just one more overpriced brand.
You definitely have no idea what you're talking about, and should have the right information prior to sharing misguided information. Your comment is short, sweet, and WRONG. Learn the 186-year history of the brand its quality, and craftsmanship prior to speaking ignorantly about the brand that is indisputably the best leather in the world, thank you.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020

I mean, sure, I don't disagree with any of that, even if I don't live by that strict monastic code myself. But it also follows from that logic that simply being billionaire is immoral, or even that all discretionary consumer spending is immoral. At some point, moralizing becomes performative unless you're willing to remove the plank from your own eye.

JustinKent

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
They slaughter a bunch of cattle for beef. The leather is an extra by product.

Apple leather cases are the only cases I use. Simple, clean lines.
It's a common misconception that leather is a by-product of the beef industry, but if you investigate further, you'll find that it's often not the case. Regardless, I feel that "slaughtering a bunch of cattle" should not be a part of Apple's supply chain or business model.

pp_amorim

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2022
Joinville, SC
You definitely have no idea what you're talking about, and should have the right information prior to sharing misguided information. Your comment is short, sweet, and WRONG. Learn the 186-year history of the brand its quality, and craftsmanship prior to speaking ignorantly about the brand that is indisputably the best leather in the world, thank you.
I touched your full grain. You probably think that Togo is the best leather in the world. What a shame...

pp_amorim

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2022
Joinville, SC
It's a common misconception that leather is a by-product of the beef industry, but if you investigate further, you'll find that it's often not the case. Regardless, I feel that "slaughtering a bunch of cattle" should not be a part of Apple's supply chain or business model.
Apple is kindly using Hermès as proxy, nothing to see here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.