Hey Apple...Adobe has learned its lesson! We want Flash

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TapHappy, Jan 4, 2011.

1. TapHappy macrumors regular

I just saw Flash running on a Droid X. Very impressive! I think it's time for Apple and Adobe to kiss and make up. It will be a few more years before HTML5 really takes off. Until then it sure would be nice to view Flash websites!

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Hell no I don't. Flash crashes in every OS I use that it supports and in every browser. Keep that off my phone.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Speak for yourself. I don't want Flash anywhere near my iPhone.

Plus the fact that iOS doesn't support Flash has pushed websites to offer an HTML5 alternative, which they probably wouldn't have done otherwise.

I side with Apple on this one.

4. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Same here. Which flash websites do you want to look at on your phone?

Flash its painfully slow on a mobile device. I came from an EVO (which has flash) and I'm not missing a thing. Flash crashes a LOT.

5. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Flash sucks on mobile device and HTML 5 views over 75% of the worlds videos now and growing fast. All videos by the end of this year should support HTML 5 also.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I too, do not want Flash on my mobile devices.... I've gotten along just fine since 2008 when I got the iPhone "Classic."

7. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I couldn't agree more with all the replies here, get away with flash.
    But this seems to be a totally different reaction than a couple of months ago when there where a lot of people crying that the EVO had flash, so why couldn't apple do it?!

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

9. applefanDrew, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011

applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Btw, I hate flash on my MBP and dont want it on my iPhone or iPad.

10. SandboxGeneral, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I suppose I am not 100% against having Flash in iOS. But if :apple: added support, I would want a global option in Settings to disable it altogether so I can keep on as I am and others who want it can turn it on.

But trust me, I will never shed a tear if iOS doesn't get Flash.

11. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I am 100% against Flash. I didn't like Flash way before Apple decided to keep it off their iOS devices.

12. flash144 macrumors member

I find you anti-Flash (pro-Apple) people funny. The only time I have any problems with Flash is with too little bandwidth over WiFi.

The real story here is simple: If Apple can't control it (ie. make money on it), they don't want it.

CBS used to have some of their top shows available by Flash on their website for free. Checked recently?? Hardly any free left. All have been ported to Apples QT, and available through Itunes for 1.99 and up per episode.

Nothing against making money, but BE honest about it.

13. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Woudn't say troll, he's just expressing his opinion. He simply enjoys flash content & he would like it if Apple allowed it on their mobile devices.

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Nice try. Big pipe at work and it causes Chrome to stutter like nothing else.

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Except that Apple actually does support current web standards, including emerging standards that provide similar functionality to flash.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm not anti-Flash and pro-Apple. I know they have issues with each other, and frankly I don't care. I'm anti things that don't work. And Flash has been dragging Safari down for years (my experience, I'm not speaking for all Safari users).

The OP states that Adobe has learned their lesson. When? How? Flash still isn't stable on Safari how many years later? I have the click 2 Flash plug-in and Safari has run 100 times better since I installed that. It used to crash multiple times per week when I browsed flash intensive websites.

There are a few websites where I will have to watch some Flash video or something, but most are converted into HTML 5. I haven't missed Flash once in the couple of months I have had the plug-in.

That being said, what makes people think it would be any more stable on iOS? I've seen it on my friend's phones and it was laggy and hard to watch anything more than a few minutes at a time.

Just my 2 cents.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

After I got Flash on my phone, a whole world opened up to me that had been closed before. Just a few things include being able to:
    • see news videos in the middle of a page, instead of having to wait and view later on my laptop.
    • access more restaurant and other websites.
    • check out Flash based websites from links people sent. For example, http://goblincreative.com.
    In other words, I finally had access to The Whole Internet, not just the subsections that conformed to some device's politically motivated limitations.

IMO, saying you don't want access to the internet that uses Flash, is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

As for speed, battery, and UI problems... I've tested both HTML5 and Flash sites, and they have similar effects. HTML5 has an extra problem in that holding a button down causes the browser's context menu to pop up (e.g. Save Image etc) which is annoying.

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I would have no problem with flash coming to the iOS system. What I would want though is a choice to have it turned off or turned on. Easy as that. This should make everyone happy!!!

19. brock2621, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011

brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

F$?& flash! I block it from my computer, refuse to build it into designs for clients (unless it's absolutely a necessity for their delivery of content infrastructure), and sure as heck don't want it crashing my phone or draining it's battery. I hate it more than anything.

• Websites load so so slow when it has to load all the banner ads and stupid videos in the middle of the page when I only watch 1 in every 20 posted.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Which is exactly why most people set their mobile browser to only show Flash sections on demand. (You have to click the placeholder icon.)

21. CZK macrumors 6502a

Very simple solution for those ( ignorant?) who do not want it.

Settings---->Flash----> ON/OFF

22. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

i think the title of this thread needs to be changed from WE want flash, to A TINY TINY MINORITY OF US want flash.

i was on a website on my ipad earlier, and it required flash, my first thought was "Damn you pizza hut, using flash", not "damn you ipad, not having flash"

the rest of the web needs to keep up...

23. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Flash is more necessary than ever. I must come across at least five sites a day on my iPhone that are unusable due to the lack of Flash.

The issue is getting worse, not better.

And Flash has never crashed my desktop or laptop more than iTunes has, even with Safari's crappy plug in handling and closed APIs.

Phazer

24. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

What????????????? I can't decide if you are serious or not....:confused:

25. flash144 macrumors member

This. Maybe its an iOS/Safari thing with Flash. Not vice/versa.