hey fanboys - admit email weakness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by finger11, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finger11 macrumors member

definitely an inflammatory subject, but what the hell, might as well...

waiting for transit this evening, trying to reply emails and i realized how much harder it was versus trying to do the same task on a pearl...

obviously the aspects that have been done to death don't need more commentary (lack of search, lack of cut and paste) but the fact that some of my emails just weren't sending was just too much and unacceptable...

yes, after reading the last line many of you will take me for an uniformed moron who doesn't understand what makes email work on a device and what doesn't...fair enough...but i'm telling you i understand and my berry before this had none of the issues that i experience at least once a week with the iphone and that really should be all i have to say...

i'm as much of a apple fanboy as anyone but i see when something is inferior and for email handling, the iphone is far inferior and i beg anyone to contest that...weak

have a wonderful evening all, and enjoy the apps as they do rule.

2. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Email does suck on the iPhone.

1. font is too small, can't be reformatted with larger font
    2. can't read emails in widescreen
    3. can't respond or compose emails in widescreen
    4. can't attach files or photos to emails (sure you can email a photo from the camera application, but it's only one photo at a time)
    5. when are we getting PUSH email again??

feel free to add to the list or modify it.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

1. there are countless free apps that can write in widescreen mode and increase font size/color/styles.
    2. that's not a big deal... just zoom in.
    3. read number 1.
    4. how many photos do you want to attach, remember it's a phone. no blackberry can do that.
    5. soon? just be patient, if you really needed it, you would have found another way to get it. if you just want to be cool...

4. kiteskiutah macrumors newbie

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Maybe my iPhone is special but I do have Push email. What we don't have is push notifications, but that's a different thing.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Does a Pearl sync with iTunes? Have Safari? Hundreds of useful apps?

Thought not. So the Pearl has weaknesses as does the iPhone. If you're that much of an e-mail geek, keep the darn Pearl.

7. finger11 thread starter macrumors member

definitely a great point.

it's just that the iPhone could be so good as an email client (maybe not as good as a berry, but darn close) and it's just disappointing that many obvious features are not implemented for one reason or another (certainly not for lack of developer time or power).

8. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

This being my first smartphone i have no comparison to how other devices handle email, but the iphone fills at least my basic needs, since i really only email my friend back n forth during work hours, push gmail would be nice but at least fetch was fixed with 2.2

9. stuy119 macrumors newbie

I don't want to attach photos - I want to attach files. And the iPhone won't allow me to do that.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Even if the apps are free, surely it's easy enough for Apple to let us do it in the Mail app?

11. kb152 macrumors member

You can change the font size really easily. Go to settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Minimum Font Size.

12. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Even if this is a valid point you want to make, why do you want the FanBoys to 'admit' this?

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

lawl

This thread has so much fail it's ridiculous. Like, why are WE expected to answer to YOU? It's not like we made the damn thing.

Email Stevie - see what what he says.

14. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Horse feathers. Comparing my iPhone to my any of my Treos, I find that email is far more reliable and easy. If I have signal, it sends. If I don't, it queues until I do, then it sends.

When I have new mail, I get the "ding". It just friggin works.

I feel bad that you have not experienced similar success. Perhaps you need to actually read the instructions on setting it up? Perhaps relying on a free Yahoo email account isn't such a great idea now?

And I am far from a fanboy. When a better tool comes along, I'll get it. That's what I did when I was a loyal Treo "fanboy", I dumped it like yesterday's bacon when I looked into the 3G. Never looked back.

15. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I am a fanboy, but I will still admit a weakness when I see one.

You're right. Email could be much better.

I seem to have different complaints than you though.

Personally, I'd like a landscape option--There is no reason why it shouldn't work just like Safari.

Emails tend to be just barely too small to read, in full screen size. I have to zoom in, and scroll back and forth--A real PITA!

Also, where the hell is copy & paste?!?! The lack of this, very basic feature, is inexcusable.

Also, I want to attach files. As it is, if I want to email pics, I have to do it one at a time!

16. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

OMG EMAIL IS NOT PERFECT!!!!

OMG LOL CATZ INSERT HACKNEYED FAIL PIC WITH THAT SHIP ON LAND HERE!
    :rolleyes:

17. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well, on a scale of 1 to 10 I ranked the iPhone email a 6 and then admitted that was a tad low.

My biggest complaints:

1) If I want true PUSH email, I have to have Yahoo or Mobile Me. And I mean with no crazy set up like changing outgoing servers etc. Just straight IMAP sync with push. Well, I am a GMail guy so I guess you know where this is going.

2) Not being able to attach files is kind of a bummer, though, you have to have the files on the phone to begin with, right? So can't you just email yourself with the attachment and then forward the email? (Not sure if iPhone strips attachments on forwards or not as I have never tried it.)

3) Not being able to adjust the volume or tone the phone plays when an email gets to the inbox. The existing tone sucks, AND, it is WAY too low on the volume to even be considered to be used for work purposes. This one is one that I rarely see anyone mention, but honestly, this is the one I want fixed the most and it seems like Apple could do it VERY easily. If they WANTED to that is.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My complaints with MobileMail.app:

1. Can't attach a photo from within Mail. You have to start a whole new message if you get half way through and realize that you forgot to attach a photo.

2. Widescreen emailing would be nice from inside Mail.

3. Saving certain image sizes in Mail result in a low res image preview saved to your camera roll.

4. Mail sometimes won't update unless you hit the back button a few times.

On a side note about copy and paste. The ONLY time I ever regretted having copy and paste was when I had to type a tracking number into Delivery Status Touch, but the new version of Delivery Status lets you sync your deliveries on the JuneCloud website and they automatically sync to your iPhone. Sweet! I just add the tracking info to JuneCloud or the OS X Dashboard widget and it is ready for me the next time I open Delivery Status Touch on my iPhone. Genius!

19. tritonj macrumors 6502a

RIM has a whole infrastructure built around the blackberry to support e-mail, the iPhone is a stand alone device, there is no infrastructure built by Apple to support e-mail. when RIM's servers go down you're not getting any e-mails on a blackberry either

if e-mail is that important to you then you should have gotten a Blackberry and not an iPhone. you use the right tools for the right job. you don't try to hammer in nails with a steel pipe simply because it is capable you do it with a hammer because it was designed to do that job. the Blackberry is designed around e-mail and office productivity. the iPhone is designed around being "everything to everyone" so it obviously will not do any one task better than a device that is designed specifically to do it.

20. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Allow me to add another (equally anecdotal) data point:

I bought an iPhone solely for e-mail. I can't pretend that I do anything so groundbreakingly important that I need e-mail OMGRIGHTTHISINSTANT -- but it is nice to get notifications (server logs, etc.) pushed to my device. Plus, I at least want to be able to send "I'm leaving the office" or "I'm on my way" e-mails without being tied to a computer.

And you know what? The iPhone works great. The mail client works reliably, push works reliably (at least when done by ActiveSync -- Yahoo's abortion of a Push IMAP implementation is laughably unreliable), and the UI makes it easy to send and receive e-mail. It's quite honestly the best e-mail client I've used -- and I'm including Blackberries in that assessment.

Maybe if I were a stock broker or futures trader I'd be reluctant to use an iPhone over a Blackberry (given that ActiveSync does have a bit of a delay, usually several seconds), but I'm not. For me, the iPhone works, and it works very, very well.

21. Chaosen1 macrumors newbie

My biggest gripe is not being able to search the inbox! WTF? I have to log into the Google app to search my inbox, when it should be indexed on the iphone.

22. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

23. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Pffft....I get push email notification on my iPhone before the email shows up in yahoo.

24. megadon macrumors 6502

I know this doesn't have to do with email..but I wish there was someway of having a widescreen capability to type my text messages..

like how hard could it be to program it like that originally?

not knowing much about computers, I'm guessing its not easy or people at apple would have done it..

it would still be nice though..

25. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

I actually prefer the email on the iPhone vs my previous BB pearl.
    The full html format is much better than the boring text on all blackberries I've used in the past. That being said, I do agree that not being able to search your inbox and the missing copy and paste is a bit frustrating - but definitely manageable. Push service is very good with my exchange server so I have no complaints in that department. Also seeing that I've never stored documents on my phone (iphone or BB), I don't see the ability to attach a document a necessary feature. But the mail app does allow me to read, and forward an attached document on the fly, which is definitely enough to satisfy most business users. I would never dream of editing a document on a mobile device. Too much potential for error...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.