Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hey Siri?

• Yep, I use it, it's great!

Votes: 54 64.3%
  • No, I don't use it.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • It's a dumb gimmick.

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
I'm loving this feature on the iPhone, especially now that I got a dock and the phone is always plugged in when at my desk. I find it's awesome for making calls...I can start the call with "Hey Siri...call Jon" and let it dial then just pick up the phone once it's connected. Great for setting my alarm at night too since I always plug in before bed on the nightstand.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I use it all the time in the car. Completely hands-free. It's better than having to fumble with holding down a button, especially in situations where that is either illegal (California Law) or inconvenient. Kind of sucks it can't be used when not plugged in but I understand why. The iPhone 6/6 Plus doesn't have a dedicated co-processor for handling the always listening stuff. It would be using the main A8 processor to do this which is extremely detrimental to battery life (if always on). But when plugged in, this is kind of moot.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
does the phone need to be 'awake' when you use this feature? never tried it before.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I want to use it but while it is unplugged. To hell with the battery life I still charge the phone every night already.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Kind of creepy having an electronic device always listening to you. Mine is off.

jayiw

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
I have it enabled on both my iPad and iPhone. The only problem is my iPhone is on a speaker dock which is right next to my TV and when I have CNN on the damn thing keeps answering every once in a while when they say Syria. I kid you not. It's not like they even say "Hey Syria" so I have no idea why it does that. Very annoying.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I love it. Since I like to plug my phone in while I'm in the car, it is so cool to be able to activate Siri for directions, etc. without having to actually touch the phone.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I'm loving this feature on the iPhone, especially now that I got a dock and the phone is always plugged in when at my desk. I find it's awesome for making calls...I can start the call with "Hey Siri...call Jon" and let it dial then just pick up the phone once it's connected. Great for setting my alarm at night too since I always plug in before bed on the nightstand.

I use it mostly in the car

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I use it during the course of the early morning so I know how much time I have left to sleep.

Siri also started responding to a news show on my TV when talking about Syria! Was wondering where the voice was coming from and took me by surprise.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
It's NOT always listening to you.

It has to in order to respond when you say "Hey Siri". And whether or not it really discards the data, only Apple knows. I'm not very trusting of any voice/video monitoring systems.

Same reason I bought a PS4 when the new consoles came out. Originally Kinect was required on the XB1.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Siri also started responding to a news show on my TV when talking about Syria! Was wondering where the voice was coming from and took me by surprise.

LOL. What did Siri have to say about the whole mess?

aevelasquez

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Miami, FL
I actually use it all the time. It's really useful since I have my phone plugged in and dash mounted whenever I'm driving. That's one of the things I'm most looking forward to about getting my 6 Plus. Bigger Screen adds visibility to my in-vehicle set-up. A phone that size might actually make it feel like I have a legit nav system in my car. The 'Hey Siri' feature is a huge part of that, and ones you don't see in native nav systems.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I used it on a recent road trip and found it very useful. I easily rerouted when I asked it to find a location of something on my way up to RI. It read & responded to messages that came it, etc. I used it on the 5S and it did get stuck on the Siri screen a couple of times but you know, beta. Tapping the home button fixed it but defeated the purpose a bit. I'm excited to try it on the 6 soon. The larger screen is going to be so much better for GPS.

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
I love the feature, it's so useful especially while driving.

On another note, the other day I unplugged my phone from the charger and it still allowed me to use the "Hey Siri" feature for about 10 minutes afterward ... not sure why. Maybe a bug?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.