"Hey Siri" send a text. Now would be nice

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MartyCan, Sep 22, 2015.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I use "hey Siri" for short text messages pretty often. Upgraded to OS2 today and behaviour has changed.

Siri creates the text message and says she'll send it but there is no OK button to send immediate. Just a "don't send" button.

Eventually the message sends but it lingers for a lot longer than I would expect.

Attached Files:

2. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I just tested mine, and it's doing the same thing. It's taking something like a whole minute to go through. I guess it's so we have plenty of time to cancel??

3. volkerK macrumors newbie

Did you see the message going out? I wanted to test , but my message is not out since 5 minutes ... Quite a long time to send something,.

4. Thepixelsedge macrumors regular

It's not really meant for you to sit there and watch the screen until it sends. You're meant to just drop your wrist and go on doing whatever you were doing. If you just drop your wrist she sends it much quicker than if you were to sit there and watch.

This behaviour goes for pretty much anything you can ask siri to do now. You don't even have to wait to see the msg if you don't want to. Just lift you wrist, "hey siri blah blah blah" once your words appear on screen just drop your wrist. In a few seconds you'll feel a tap letting you know that she's done whatever you've asked.

I think it takes forever to send if the screen is on bc it;s giving you a chance to cancel if you have to. If its all good just put your wrist down and it'll send within about 10 seconds.

5. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

If you want to send your message, just lower your arm and it will send the message automatically.

6. volkerK macrumors newbie

7. pedz macrumors regular

Seems like it takes more than 10 seconds when you put your wrist down. But if you push in the crown to go back to the clock it sends it immediately, which I like because it is easier to push than the send button if I am in a hurry and on the move. Otherwise I will wait the 15-30 seconds.

8. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Thanks everyone. Apple could do a better job explaining this stuff in the "What's new in ________" sections of their website.

The previous behaviour was an option to send the message as a voice message or text message and I had to choose one.

9. Thepixelsedge macrumors regular

Yup and the weird thing is that that behaviour still exists when you click the "reply" button on a message. The drop your wrist to auto send only comes into effect when you initiate the message by saying "hey siri, tell my wife I'm on my way home" or something similar

10. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Drop your wrist and it will send. And I guess if it doesn't hear you clearly it'll ask if you want to send as audio instead. (pure guessing)

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Actually I checked my phone while I was waiting for the sent message to disappear from my watch, and on the phone it had already sent.

12. rogertoh16 macrumors newbie

The idea dont seem to be good. Because with the sending button, I will immediatly know if the message been send successfuly. With the current setting, I have to check on my iphone to see if the message send sucessfully.
    I send thru Siri 10 time, 8 time will fail. And only know when I see thru iphone.

13. Thepixelsedge macrumors regular

No, a few seconds after you drop your wrist, you'll feel a tap to let you know your message sent.

14. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

When it asks if you want to send the text, why don't you just say "hey siri, send text"

15. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

Does this still work for you? Siri can no longer find 'my wife' on my watch, though this feature used to work perfectly with the 1.0 and 1.0.1 releases.

16. barjam macrumors regular

You can do "hey Siri send text to blah...." Wait for the mic button click it and then you will get the voice/text option.

17. barjam macrumors regular

I didn't even know Siri knew about spouses. I just tried this with 2.0 and it worked fine.

18. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

Thanks for giving it a go. Another friend also got it to work.

Not sure what the problem is, then. I'll do an unpair when my new phone hopefully arrives on Friday. With luck that will fix things!

19. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

You can tell her to learn your family members, which is nice.

20. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Hey Siri is not working on my watch at all. I'm sure it used to. Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?

21. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Because it dors not ask and there is no option to do that.

22. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Had that issue intermittently too. No idea what fixed it. Might have been cycling watch off then on again?

23. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

Just say it when it confirms what it's going to send. I do it all the time.

24. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

What version of Watch OS are you on?

25. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong