Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueinc

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
Are any of Apple's ideas not copied from an existing jailbreak tweak.

Original. Not.

When iOS blogs presented popular JB tweaks they were literally begging for Apple to implement them. Now that they are implemented, we hear crap like this.

And why does everything has to be original? What's next, you won't even consider buying/umpgrading to iPhone 5S/6 because it has an antenna, display and microSIM card, all things which were previously available?

I like MacRumors, but some people around here are just plain ... you know ... ****ing dumb!

spcurtis81

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Manchester, UK
Are any of Apple's ideas not copied from an existing jailbreak tweak.

Original. Not.

I should say that this is a great thing. Apple taking note of what the end users ACTUALLY want rather than telling them. Kudos to Apple in my opinion. Saw an article accusing Apple of copying the best bits of all the other OS. Hell yes please! How can that be bad for the end user?

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Doubt we'll see much of this in the final release but it would be kind of cool to play around with.

I understand and appreciate that Apple wants to keep things non-complex for its users but I've never understood why they don't include this kind of stuff and just lock it down behind an advanced user mode.

You know, this stuff would be invisible but could be made available via a toggle somewhere (similar to the old simple Finder concept in OS X.) Toggling the switch on could prompt the user with a warning that they're about to turn on advanced settings; toggling it off could cause the phone to revert back to all its default settings. Or barring that, Apple could offer an "advanced settings" app that you'd have to download from the App Store to access this stuff.

Either approach would allow for the best of both worlds in iOS--keeping it non-complex for most users but allowing for tinkering and tweaking for anyone inclined to doing so.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
The one setting I want to see is the ability to use the swipe up from bottom gesture for multitasking instead of control center. WebOS had it right, so much more fluid than the double tap.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Why is it such a tall order to put a finder in iOS?

Why bother? I love the fact that Apple has pushed iOS to the extent they have and yet haven't caved in to the demands for a desktop-like file browser. I love the idea of an OS being completely faceless, just a background thing that rarely gets in your way. Having said that, I agree they need some kind of shared file system in iOS so apps can access the same files as well as for saving files locally, but I don't think it needs to be Finder-like.

I can understand not wanting one on a phone, but a tablet really needs some way to easily manage files. As it stands it's great for consuming paid content, but try loading a few hundred PDFs onto an iPad in an organized way - it's impossible. This is about the only area for me where Android kicks iOS up and down the block.

I disagree. Android adds features that make it more like a desktop OS and I think that's a bad idea. Why shoehorn the concepts from a desktop OS into a tablet OS? I'd rather see something more "tablet-like." As it stands, the addition of Dropbox on my iPad plays that role nicely (not perfectly, but close) and is something I'm surprised Apple hasn't done with iCloud.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
While there are countless ROMs released by android enthusiasts that all offer their own unique style and flavor, I love that iOS 7 brings more customization, functionality, and bells/whistles to a stock OS that you know is reliable and doesn't come with a long list of critical features that don't work (as custom ROMs on Android often do).

I'll have to play with iOS 7 for a bit on my own, but it seems worthy of removing my jailbreak.

bruinselmann

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
Germany
Bring on the multitasking gestures - I'm so sick of awkwardly double-clicking that home button a thousand times a day when it could be so much easier. Not to mention the increased likelihood of the home button breaking in the foreseeable future. I don't have any data, but it seems to me that this is the #1 hardware failure on iOS devices these days.

galrito

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
I disagree. Android adds features that make it more like a desktop OS and I think that's a bad idea. Why shoehorn the concepts from a desktop OS into a tablet OS? I'd rather see something more "tablet-like." As it stands, the addition of Dropbox on my iPad plays that role nicely (not perfectly, but close) and is something I'm surprised Apple hasn't done with iCloud.

Apple had it with .mac and Mobile Me and they shut it down, unfortunately. I used it often. That would be a great feature to come back on iCloud, now with iPads and iPhones it is much needed.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I should say that this is a great thing. Apple taking note of what the end users ACTUALLY want rather than telling them. Kudos to Apple in my opinion. Saw an article accusing Apple of copying the best bits of all the other OS. Hell yes please! How can that be bad for the end user?

I agree. No need for iBlacklist, Auxo, Springtomize, FolderEnhancer, search add-on's for contacts, etc.

It would be nice if a "Finder" type app was available (iFile), alarm options such as announcing the weather, date, etc., volume booster, and a progress percentage indicator below each installed/updated app. Otherwise, if iOS 7 stays in this direction, aside from custom themes, I won't have much need for jailbreaking.

(although I could understand developers going after Apple if it's too similar, such as "Auxo")

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
The one setting I want to see is the ability to use the swipe up from bottom gesture for multitasking instead of control center. WebOS had it right, so much more fluid than the double tap.
Yep. They had it so right it now doesn't exist.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Why bother? I love the fact that Apple has pushed iOS to the extent they have and yet haven't caved in to the demands for a desktop-like file browser. I love the idea of an OS being completely faceless, just a background thing that rarely gets in your way. Having said that, I agree they need some kind of shared file system in iOS so apps can access the same files as well as for saving files locally, but I don't think it needs to be Finder-like.

Why shoehorn the concepts from a desktop OS into a tablet OS? I'd rather see something more "tablet-like." As it stands, the addition of Dropbox on my iPad plays that role nicely (not perfectly, but close) and is something I'm surprised Apple hasn't done with iCloud.

Why not? For people like yourself who don't like to deal with files, just don't use the Finder! Nobody is suggesting that Apple FORCE a Finder onto everyone, merely that it is offered as yet another way to manage files. To demand Apple not include features because YOU don't want them is rather self-centered, don't you think?

I have an Android tablet (waiting for a Retina iPad mini) and the file system is the primary means I use to transfer files to and from the device. It is FAR easier to use for documents than going through iTunes. The iTunes interface is genius for managing audio files, but trying to shoehorn the duties of a Finder into iTunes is futile and unnecessarily limits the usefulness of iDevices. For some users, the ultimate iPad experience would be the ability to drill down to a document using OS X's column view and open it. Simple!

Dropbox IS an improvement, and for smaller numbers of documents it's awesome. But if I want to transfer a few hundred research articles to a tablet for a project, Android has the better solution for keeping the files organized. If I was using Windows I could even make the transfer wirelessly. iCloud is also nice for a handful of documents, but not for hundreds of files organized into a structured hierarchy.

Apple need to decide soon if they want their devices to be tools used by everyone including serious users, or merely instruments of passive content consumption. Apple USED to cater to both groups, which was a big part of their genius IMO. It's not easy to build an OS that fulfills the needs of both casual users and "power users", but that's what made OS X such a work of genius. All I'm asking is for the same design philosophy to be applied to iOS.

My own guess here is that Appe is afraid that letting people use the iPad too much like a computer would cannibalize their laptop sales. The reality is that an iPad with BT keyboard and trackpad would meet the needs of most low-end laptop users except for the clunky file management. Hell if I could use such a device I'd sell my MacBook Pro and just use my Mac Pro with an iPad for portable computing.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Awesome. Nice to see improvements in features, this looks to be an exciting iOS version!

Still no finder. Meh. Why is it such a tall order to put a finder in iOS? I can understand not wanting one on a phone, but a tablet really needs some way to easily manage files. As it stands it's great for consuming paid content, but try loading a few hundred PDFs onto an iPad in an organized way - it's impossible. This is about the only area for me where Android kicks iOS up and down the block.

Dropbox.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Dropbox IS an improvement, and for smaller numbers of documents it's awesome. But if I want to transfer a few hundred research articles to a tablet for a project, Android has the better solution for keeping the files organized.

I've owned an Android device. Telling me iOS should have something because Android has it doesn't work with me.

Anyway, I don't want to go toe-to-toe with you on each point, but I just don't see the need for a Finder-like interface in iOS. I have a few thousand files that I organize and access via Dropbox but I'm not that concerned that they live on the iPad itself. A cloud-based file system seems to be the ideal situation for a mobile device for me, but obviously other people may want the files on their tablet.

I'm not opposed to the idea of a file system of some sort. I think a shared directory for storing and organizing files that all apps can access would be a great addition to iOS. I just don't understand why it should be a full-blown desktop file system. That seems like overkill to me and needlessly complicates things.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I've owned an Android device. Telling me iOS should have something because Android has it doesn't work with me.

Good, because that's not at all what I wrote.

Bringing the OS X's column browser view to iOS would crush anything offered by Android. I used the example of Android to illustrate that even a lackluster file browser can work better than iTunes for managing some types of files.

----------

Does Dropbox preserve the file hierarchy for hundreds of files organized in folders nested several layers deep?

Why do I have the sneaky suspicion that if Apple released iOS 7 with a Finder, many of those now saying it doesn't need one would would suddenly begin touting the awesomeness of iOS precisely because it has a better Finder than Android?

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Why do I have the sneaky suspicion that if Apple released iOS 7 with a Finder, many of those now saying it doesn't need one would would suddenly begin touting the awesomeness of iOS precisely because it has a better Finder than Android?

You're probably right but I wouldn't be one of them.

I like iOS for its simplicity. I value it for being quick access to information I need without a lot of nonsense. No logging in. No managing user accounts. No long wait for the desktop to set up. No program launches that take forever. No programs running in the background slowing things down. No file system to manage. No file browser where someone can accidentally delete/move/rename some important file that then brings some app or the whole system to its knees. No thanks. Bringing a desktop-like file system and browser to iOS would be a huge step backward.

And yes, I'll reiterate: I think Apple needs to figure out how apps can access the same document and how users can easily add and organize local storage. A shared document repository accessible by all apps would be an easy way to fix that. But a file system, a full-blown desktop-like filesystem? Why? What does that solve other than letting a bunch of Luddites feel like they're back in the cozy embrace of their PC?

designaholic

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Cool :cool:. Although watching that video affirms my dislike for the way the typography is handled in the top nav bar throughout the new UI. Looks cluttered and inelegant.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I'm wondering how he managed to record the screen. It's clearly not the simulator so I agree something fishy is going on here.

----------

Just use Jasmine. It's way better and has less restrictions on content.
He is using a tethered jailbreak on an iPhone 4.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
OMG!!:D gestures on the iphone, AWESOME!! i guess i shoudn't wait for the jailbreak or the next iphone, i should install it on my iphone 4S.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
How did he record the display? Is it jailbroken already? :eek:

There are screen recording apps in the official app store. Or at least there was at some point (Don't remember the name of it, but the frame rate wasn't great.)

Also he could just be recording the airplay stream or the output from the HDMI adapter.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
really excited about the gesture functionality. i hope we keep seeing good stuff like this from apple. now, to patiently wait for the next iphone.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I bet these gestures are for iOS 7 on iPad. Just like the iPad has exclusive gestures in iOS 6 due to its screen size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.