Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As the developer beta testing period for iOS 7 continues, user Hamza Sood (via 9to5Mac) has discovered hidden settings within Apple's latest iOS that include toggles for additional gesture, folder and multitasking options. It is unclear, however, how Sood came across the settings.

hiddensettings.png
Image via Hamza Sood
The gesture settings include options for a new "corner swipe" gesture. In addition, there appear to be expanded options for the "press and hold" gesture, which has so far only been used to prompt "edit mode", which allows users to move and delete apps. There also appears to be a section for "edge swipe", which has become prominent in Apple's redesigned stock iOS 7 apps. 9to5Mac notes that the settings indicate that these gestures could be used for quick app switching.

Other settings include additional functionality on the home screen, such as being able to completely delete stock apps like Newsstand, which has long been a requested feature from some users. The ability to create folders within folders is also present.

The final group of settings is used to tweak the visual flow of the new operating system, with settings responsible for blur effects, coloring and animation speed.

As 9to5Mac notes, it is highly unlikely that most of these features will make their way into the final public version of iOS 7. Instead, the hidden settings are likely to be used and tested by Apple internally to not only tweak iOS performance but explore future features. Some could, however, be adopted as public options to allow for further customization of the user experience.

Article Link: Hidden iOS 7 Settings Reveal Potential Gesture and Folder Enhancements

mahood

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
UK
What I'd like to see...

Is the option to select which apps handle which functions.

Such as setting a default browser, mail handler, calendar, etc.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Delete Newsstand?

No way you get to delete stock apps in the final version.

I don't see why Apple just doesn't give you the option under restrictions to hide stock apps. That was the old trick for getting rid of the stock Youtube app.

They have restrictions for every stock app that allows you to spend money but not Newsstand. The publishers must have fought hard to make sure that Newsstand is on every iOS device.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
It would be nice to have multitasking gestures! I would like to take away from using the Home Button.

I foresee a lot of iPhone cases making it difficult to edge swipe from the sides. :eek:

I'm sure they would still have it work with the Home button (just like iPad's multitasking gestures). And case makers can adapt if possible (like when they adjusted cases so the flash would work on the camera when it was added).

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
No way you get to delete stock apps in the final version.

I don't see why Apple just doesn't give you the option under restrictions to hide stock apps. That was the old trick for getting rid of the stock Youtube app.

They have restrictions for every stock app that allows you to spend money but not Newsstand. The publishers must have fought hard to make sure that Newsstand is on every iOS device.

:rolleyes: Right now, I'd love to have that app back. Google's is absolutely the worst app on my entire device lineup.

----------

It would be nice to have multitasking gestures! I would like to take away from using the Home Button.

Isn't practical on the iPhone. You don't know what you want. Apple does.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
Great find! I love the idea of nesting folders and multiple swipe gestures. The future looks bright and, let's be honest here, iOS 7 looks simply amazing. Period.

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Remember when the iPad had hidden gestures for developers before they added it to the public release in the next version of iOS? I'm hoping this is a similar thing, because I really want a multitasking gesture on my iPhone.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Wish the dude would show how he did it. Currently being a bit of a traffic whore at the moment.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Personally, I think jailbreaking is involved in it...

I'm wondering how he managed to record the screen. It's clearly not the simulator so I agree something fishy is going on here.

----------

:rolleyes: Right now, I'd love to have that app back. Google's is absolutely the worst app on my entire device lineup.

Just use Jasmine. It's way better and has less restrictions on content.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Great find! I love the idea of nesting folders and multiple swipe gestures. The future looks bright and, let's be honest here, iOS 7 looks simply amazing. Period.

I think iOS 8 will be amazing. And maybe with the new Apple we'll get more frequent updates. Like if they didn't get time to re-do the mail and calendar apps they way they wanted to why should we have to wait for iOS 8 for changes? Lets get point updates that are more than just bug fixes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.