Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I push it as it's true.

Is the competition's price not also rising? And is Apple not also lowering prices and expanding the iPhone line in both directions?

I get it, we'd all love these things to be less expensive. 4-5 years ago I was purchasing the iPhone 5 and 5s at $700ish in Canada. In addition to the price increase we've also had the price go farther because of the currency changes. Already been seeing $1000+ phones, and the X will hitting $1500 without tax. Of course I'd love to see it lower.

Point is, Apple is pricing for what the market will bear. iPhone 7 and 8 will still be excellent options and extremely powerful and have many years of life. It was quite clear that the X is where they want to go with the iPhone line, but for now it'll be a premium.
But it's interesting that your actual point is nothing to do with the iPhone being a "powerful pocket computer" - as suspected that's just a line you're using perhaps on yourself to justify things - it's really just that Apple are there to make money and want to make as much as possible. Which is fine, but the strategies for doing that can differ.

Right now, with this move, they're cheesing me off for example (as someone who's bought the current "premium" model iPhone every time I've upgraded over the past 10 years). In response I've cheaped out on the iPhone I bought this time, and the chances of me actually defecting to another brand entirely next time have shot right up. Am I just an outlier? Will most play the game and/or enough carry on paying more? Only time, and their bottom line, will tell.

Reactions: kuoann

Olganech

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015
Apple has been known to drop prices of their big step prototype devices once manufacturing and availability becomes more manageable. I would not be surprised if we see an iPhone 9 device next year that is like the X but closer to the iPhone 8 pricing. Still expensive though...

There is nothing new in the X to justify the higher price over the 8. OLED is not new tech, neither is Qi charging.

faceid has been done before so nothing new really.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Being on the iPhone Upgrade Program, I assumed I'd at least upgrade to an 8 Plus this year (I never figured I'd spend the $$$ on the X). However, they ditched the middle storage option, which only gives me 3 options:
  1. 'Upgrade' to a phone that has less storage for the same price I pay monthly
  2. Pay more monthly for a phone with way more storage than I need
  3. Keep my iPhone 7 Plus and ignore the whole point of the upgrade program
I'm choosing option 3, and for the first time in 10 years, seriously looking at other phone companies' offerings.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
There is nothing new in the X to justify the higher price over the 8. OLED is not new tech, neither is Qi charging.

Believe me I agree with you! But to apple this is a prototype device just how the 12" MacBook was and just how the first retina MacBook was. Those two devices dropped in price and became much more usable after the first generation. I doubt the iPhone X is any different.

I can see next year the X's design becoming the new form factor and having the iPhone 9 and 9 plus be a smaller and larger version of the X. Pricing will likely decrease some but I don't think it will ever get back down to $650....

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
But it's interesting that your actual point is nothing to do with the iPhone being a "powerful pocket computer" - as suspected that's just a line you're using perhaps on yourself to justify things - it's really just that Apple are there to make money and want to make as much as possible. Which is fine, but the strategies for doing that can differ.

I'm not justifying anything. I'm merely stating facts. Is the iPhone not a portable computer? Of course it is. And of course Apple is there to make money. I think they could have done a much better job at telling the story. The iPhone X is likely going to be somewhat constrained and would have been a disaster of a launch if it was priced the same as previous iPhones which in the past resulted in opening weekends of sales in the 10,000,000 units. It's simple economics. A little bit of logic and deduction can go a long way.

Right now, with this move, they're cheesing me off for example (as someone who's bought the current "premium" model iPhone every time I've upgraded over the past 10 years). In response I've cheaped out on the iPhone I bought this time, and the chances of me actually defecting to another brand entirely next time have shot right up. Am I just an outlier? Will most play the game and/or enough carry on paying more? Only time, and their bottom line, will tell.

Ah, so you're upset that you won't be able to purchase the iPhone X for the same price as previous iPhones? The iPhone 8 is the true successor to the iPhones we have been buying for the past 10 years. The iPhone X is a phone they want to build and likely where they want all iPhones to go but at their scale it just might not be possible today.

But at the end of the day, is Apple not allowed to build a higher priced iPhone because people who are used too spending $700-900 on an iPhone to obtain the highest model will be offended that it'll be $1000 instead?
[doublepost=1505308809][/doublepost]

OLED is not new, no. But the quantity that Apple would have needed is obviously not scalable yet.

Qi is not new either, but it's also not limited to the iPhone X.

Face ID however, has not yet been done.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
the sad thing is: if it sells too well, the price will never go down again...

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
iPhone X with Apple care + is base MacBook Pro price. Just find that funny.

Nobody will ever listen, but if the consumer doesn't like the price. The only way the company will listen is if the consumer doesn't buy it.

I'd bet if the original Apple Watch gold edition did well it'd still be sold today. It didn't so it's not.

Reactions: Applejuiced

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Nobody will ever listen, but if the consumer doesn't like the price. The only way the company will listen is if the consumer doesn't buy it.

I'd bet if the original Apple Watch gold edition did well it'd still be sold today. It didn't so it's not.

The iPhone X benchmarks higher than the base 2017 MacBook Pro. I find that funny.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I'm not justifying anything. I'm merely stating facts. Is the iPhone not a portable computer? Of course it is. And of course Apple is there to make money. I think they could have done a much better job at telling the story. The iPhone X is likely going to be somewhat constrained and would have been a disaster of a launch if it was priced the same as previous iPhones which in the past resulted in opening weekends of sales in the 10,000,000 units. It's simple economics. A little bit of logic and deduction can go a long way.

The portable computer line is irrelevant, it's ALWAYS been a portable computer, the iPhone X is no more or less so. Similarly Apple have always been in this to make money, but there methods of doing so are changing - it remains to be seen whether that's the right thing for Apple in the long term.

Ah, so you're upset that you won't be able to purchase the iPhone X for the same price as previous iPhones? The iPhone 8 is the true successor to the iPhones we have been buying for the past 10 years.

No it isn't, not at all. The iPhone 8 is a mild rehash of the same iPhone they've been coasting along making for the last few years, but it is already stale right out of the gate and not a true flagship phone as others were before it; Apple know this full well which is why the iPhone X exists. The X is the true successor and is itself long overdue. It is patently not the "iPhone of the future" but the iPhone of right now, 2017; it's simply the iPhone 8 which belongs firmly in the past.

Yes, the supply constraints on OLED screens are partially driving all this, but that is Apple's problem entirely; they've known for years that OLED was needed for the "iPhone of the future" but now future is here, and they're still not ready. Reliant on their biggest competition and woefully unable to deliver the volume necessary to keep the iPhone relevant.

IlliniGuy76

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Apple is simply changing the market yet again. With slightly improved technology from the new 8, the market change is predominantly price based with the perceived large improvement over the new 8. Anyone who thinks that you'll ever see an iPhone (after the 8 & 8Plus run its course) under $1,000 again is sorely mistaken.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The portable computer line is irrelevant, it's ALWAYS been a portable computer, the iPhone X is no more or less so. Similarly Apple have always been in this to make money, but there methods of doing so are changing - it remains to be seen whether that's the right thing for Apple in the long term.

No it isn't, not at all. The iPhone 8 is a mild rehash of the same iPhone they've been coasting along making for the last few years, but it is already stale right out of the gate and not a true flagship phone as others were before it; Apple know this full well which is why the iPhone X exists. The X is the true successor and is itself long overdue. It is patently not the "iPhone of the future" but the iPhone of right now, 2017; it's simply the iPhone 8 which belongs firmly in the past.

Yes, the supply constraints on OLED screens are partially driving all this, but that is Apple's problem entirely; they've known for years that OLED was needed for the "iPhone of the future" but now future is here, and they're still not ready. Reliant on their biggest competition and woefully unable to deliver the volume necessary to keep the iPhone relevant.

I get it, trust me. I'd love for that to be the case. I'm merely explaining where they are and likely why they're doing what they're doing.

I think if they could have had OLED iPhones ready at the scale they needed, they would have done it. Unfortunately iPhone X isn't ready for the scale they need.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
The iPhone X benchmarks higher than the base 2017 MacBook Pro. I find that funny.

Now if there was only an app that could utilize all that power.

The iPhone 7 Plus is just about to be last years model and I'm still waiting for that app.

Reactions: Applejuiced

bigmac58

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
I have an iPhone 6 and it's working great on iOS 10 right now. The only issue I've had is the battery but I kinda expected it with a three-year-old phone. Popped it open, put in a new battery and all is good again. I was really hoping to see something yesterday to make me say "wow, I really need a new phone". Didn't happen. I'm sure there will be the normal crowd who buys one of the new devices shown yesterday, I used to be one of them. If anything, I'll look at the iPhone 7 as it should be cheaper now. I don't need face ID because the fingerprint ID seems to work just fine for me. The camera on my 6 takes wonderful pictures and videos of my kiddos. Just my opinion, but I look forward to seeing how the new phones work out for the others.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Believe me I agree with you! But to apple this is a prototype device just how the 12" MacBook was and just how the first retina MacBook was. Those two devices dropped in price and became much more usable after the first generation. I doubt the iPhone X is any different.

I can see next year the X's design becoming the new form factor and having the iPhone 9 and 9 plus be a smaller and larger version of the X. Pricing will likely decrease some but I don't think it will ever get back down to $650....

I think this is a great description of what the iPhone X really is. And I would be happy if they continue experimenting like this to move tech forward quicker.

HOWEVERRRRR, I would only support this thinking and approach if there was a market competitive alternative available and the 8 and 8 Plus are not that. Yes, they are top of the line smartphones speed and tech wise, but design wise it's years behind de S8, V30, PH-1, upcoming Pixel 2 XL, Mi Mix 2, etc. If the 8 had a small top and bottom bezel (similar to the S8 and V30, not completely gone like the X) and used the gesture UI, we would have a serious alternative, but the current 8 is literally laughable design wise in the fall of 2017 for that price.

I know many won't care and just buy the 8 anyways, but for me after owning the 7 Plus Jet Black, the X is the only way forward and that's a shame.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

iFan83

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2017
I have an iPhone 6 and it's working great on iOS 10 right now. The only issue I've had is the battery but I kinda expected it with a three-year-old phone. Popped it open, put in a new battery and all is good again. I was really hoping to see something yesterday to make me say "wow, I really need a new phone". Didn't happen. I'm sure there will be the normal crowd who buys one of the new devices shown yesterday, I used to be one of them. If anything, I'll look at the iPhone 7 as it should be cheaper now. I don't need face ID because the fingerprint ID seems to work just fine for me. The camera on my 6 takes wonderful pictures and videos of my kiddos. Just my opinion, but I look forward to seeing how the new phones work out for the others.

I don't think we'll see another , "wow" feature on a cell phone until they reinvented the cell phone, which I think Apple is trying to move to the AppleWatch, that may be the future of the iPhone.

bigmac58

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
I don't think we'll see another , "wow" feature on a cell phone until they reinvented the cell phone, which I think Apple is trying to move to the AppleWatch, that may be the future of the iPhone.

Definitely some truth to your statement. I'm a gadget guy. I had the 4S when I upgraded to the 6. My wife bought me a Series 2 watch for Valentine's Day and it's great. I partly blame the carriers for deciding not to upgrade over the past few cycles. The cell service is, in my opinion for what you get, incredibly expensive. I could swallow it when they subsidized the cost of the phones. Now, the cost of the service is just as high and I have the added cost of a phone payment attached to that. For the iPhone 8, it will cost another $60 for two phones on our line. If we bought the iPhone X, I'm guessing it would add $100 for the pair. When your service is already $150 or so that jut becomes too expensive. Sure, it's shiny and bright but at the end of the day, it's still just a phone.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
I have no problem "overpaying" for something if it excites me. Totally worth it. As for the iPhone X, it doesn't (yet) get me there at $1200 after tax. The fact I'm glad it won't go on preorder for another month is a relief because it give me more time to think about it. But that it a bad sign for me. Usually if I want something I don't have to think about it.

Among the negatives for me:

1. Hate the "ears"
2. Neither inductive nor fast charger included (more $ to be spent)
3. Could not care less about AR/ extra photo features over the 8+
4. Paying top dollar for a "super retina" screen but few apps optimized for it

The postiive is:

1. 5.8" screen in a 4.7ish" footprint
2. Huge camera upgrade over my 7.

So you can see why I'm not over the moon about it.

Exactly where I am with it.
[doublepost=1505315040][/doublepost]

So do I. Just goes to show you benchmarks don't count for much

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW

I concur. Still sucks I'm going to buy the phone and contribute to the allowance of pricier phones.

The struggle between not giving into corporate practices and not having the next big thing ensues lol.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I think it's a combination of a couple things. Apple knows a lot of people will pay a premium. So why not let them? Can't say I blame Apple for that. And... Most people don't know or don't care what they're paying for their phone, all they care about is whether or not they can afford the monthly payment. Even then they probably don't even know what they're paying for their phone, they just know that their "phone bill" is high.

If we hadn't gotten the X then the 8 would have been the 7s, for what the 8 is it seems like a reasonable follow up to the 7 - better processor, better camera, couple other things. Par for the course. It's just that it's called the 8 that people are expecting more.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
As long as IUP and/or contract prices remain what I would pay for them then the total price of the phone is not relevant for me as I would never pay for it outright.

However there will come a point when I will stop upgrading if the cost per month becomes too much to justify i.e £75+ more a month.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
Not everyone can afford the X and apparently there are a lot of these people on MR from all the complaints I'm reading.

It's not a matter of affordability. If you can afford a 7 or 8 you can afford a X aswell. It's about being able to justify paying an obnoxious price for what's on offer. I mean € 1329 for the 264 gb:eek:. That's obscene.

But some on macrumours don't mind being scammed and would easily pay 2K for a new phone with an Apple logo.

Mind you I love everything Apple, but I don't like to be ripped off.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010

The price of the rMB is still the same as introduced.
I can only see a increase with apples new products: iPad, iPhone, watch or Macs...

bigmac58

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
You may be able to afford it but decide it is not worth it.

Absolutely. My 6 is doing fine on iOS 10. Will it work on 11, who knows? But I bet I can get at least another year out of it and then pick up a 7 for a steal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.