Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I will next year. I can't wait to give the IT guys hell.

you do know it is a bad idea to piss off the IT right. They enforce the rules. Give them crap they are even less likely to work with you or bother to help you out. Hell give them to much crap and they will just cut your access off and not give it a 2nd thought

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
this thread even makes me feel old.....why would you ever need your laptop in middle or high school? i mean, teachers dont see it as a distraction?

GradientMac

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2007
Canada
I'll call you spoiled then, and this is coming from a 20 year old.

You don't need a laptop in High School unless you have a learning disorder. Simple.

You don't need a laptop in College/University unless you have a learning disorder or your major specifically requires you have one. Unless you go to a cheap ass school, they'll have a computer lab (probably more than one) if you need to desperately use a computer while you're at school.

I DID have a laptop in highschool, and I would have NEVER brought it with me. Nobody brought their laptop. Why? Because everyone knew it was stupid. Yes, even kids taking all AP and honors classes, before some of you complain. I did very well in my advanced classes using a pen and paper to take notes when I needed to.

If you're having difficulty keeping up in a HS class without using your laptop to takes notes, I wouldn't recommend going to college.

Learn how to take effective notes (that means not writing down every word out of the professors mouth), and you won't even be writing much with a pen and paper.

I never said it was a smart idea or a stupid idea, I merely just stated that it was ridiculous that he claimed that you're spoiled if you bring a laptop to high school. I can keep up fine in school and I've never brought my laptop to school apart from one day when I used it for a presentation in 8th grade.

I thought it was dumb that he used the 'In my day....' excuse because in the future they might have some flashy holographic screens and then we'd have to say, 'In my day, we had to use these things called laptops and our brains, you kids are so spoiled and you NEVER need to have those funky computer things, just use keys and a screen! We never had things like that and we got along just fine!'

Technology is moving forward and you can't ignore it, bringing laptops to your school is very common now AND some teachers have classes where it's extremely handy, like my Language class where we had to do a written assignment, but we had to go to the library to type, but we needed classroom resources and we had to travel back and forth, and it would've been handy to have a laptop then.

His grandparents could've said 'In my day, sonneh boy, we had to use a feather and ink to write our notes and we got along just fine, you don't need these snazzeh fountain pens or ball-points, you're just spoiled!'

And I'm sure he would've disagreed with that.

;)

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
So because someone else does it, it's ok for you to do it?

I thought you were still in school?;)
Of course not - that's why I didn't make that as a primary argument. I personally don't feel it makes it right, but it happens. I'm sure you're perfect too. You don't speed, and you always make those "morally right" calls, etc. Call me presumptuous in claiming that? Well, that's exactly what you've done with me. Don't belittle me, thank you. Just because I'm not 34 does not mean my opinion is worthless.

If you're going to argue, least call the good shots, at folks like neonblue2 here, who think things such as this are conducive to giving youth a good name:
I will next year. I can't wait to give the IT guys hell.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Of course not - that's why I didn't make that as a primary argument. I personally don't feel it makes it right, but it happens. I'm sure you're perfect too. You don't speed, and you always make those "morally right" calls, etc. Call me presumptuous in claiming that? Well, that's exactly what you've done with me. Don't belittle me, thank you. Just because I'm not 34 does not mean my opinion is worthless.

If you're going to argue, least call the good shots, at folks like neonblue2 here, who think things such as this are conducive to giving youth a good name:

You sound like a good kid, I just want to give you a hard time;):):p

Just do well in school and be able to rub it in my face when you get into Harvard huh?;)

PS: Teenage angst is out this year. ;):p

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Oh it was the thing to sport last year!;):p

So you're into that eh? You might still want to take some econ/marketing classes at a JC so you know how to boost your own business (if that's what you end up doing).
I have an aptitude for business too; plus I don't plan on majoring in a "useless" field such as painting (Architecture, Industrial Design are my two favorites), so hopefully I will do fine in that department!

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I have an aptitude for business too; plus I don't plan on majoring in a "useless" field such as painting (Architecture, Industrial Design are my two favorites), so hopefully I will do fine in that department!

Best of luck! :)

But do pay attention in Biology (no matter how boring) ;) :p :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.