High Sierra breaks iMessage?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Risco, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I don't know what it has done, but even a format does not fix. Essentially I am unable to send iMessages to known iPhone users. Also contacts show as numbers.

Like I said I rolled back to Sierra and still broken?

2. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Try going into iMessages, go to File: Preferences, click Accounts Tab

Make sure you are signed it, and all the appropriate boxes area checked.

Note, the tab "Enable iMessages on iCloud is not working yet...

3. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

tried all that, can't understand what is happening?

4. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

Go to your iPhone and verify all the correct settings are enabled. Some were deselected on my iPhone 7 when I installed High Sierra.

5. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Which settings are you referring to? I have all options on for iCloud?

6. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

Handoff, enabling messaging and text forwarding to other devices, etc.

7. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Sorry, had this happen to me - just saw your thread. I suspect it's a race condition when you have some Mac's running Sierra and some running High Sierra with the same iCloud account - it can mess up the credentials.

Presuming you have 2FA enabled (everyone should) - go to the appleID page: https://appleid.apple.com/

You're going to need to sign all (well, all but one initially) out of iCloud and remove them from your list of devices on the appleID page. You leave the one authorized / signed in, so it can authorize your 2FA. Once you've cycled through all but one, then do the same with that last device.

Note: iCloud may make you change your AppleID password (yes, I know, onerous) - it did with me (so it obviously knew something was out of sync).

Now that you fixed your iCloud credentials, just make sure that all of your iMessage setups are using your AppleID as well as your cell number (with your cell selected as start new conversations from).

8. shrubberyuk macrumors newbie

Unfortunately this doesn't fix the issues for me.

I have a mixture of iOS10, iOS11, macOS10.12 and macOS10.13 and iMessages cannot be sent from the macOS10.13 machine. They can however be received and standard SMS can be received and sent...

9. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

I fixed it last night by going to using time machine to a date before I installed the beta. As a precaution I have also removed all devices as suggested. All seems well so far.

10. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

You're still running in what I'll call "mixed mode" - devices running the new iMessage and not. When this happened, the two MacBooks I had upgraded to 10.13 were removed from my AppleID devices and not brought back (rolled one of them back to 10.12 due to what 10.13 broke on it) - the other one hasn't been turned back on yet (and will be rolled back when it is - so it doesn't recreate the problem).

If you're officially on the beta, then you should send this in as a bug.

Me, I'll hold off on DP2 - wait for the public beta (as it wasn't announced the same day, guessing it may be a newer build).

11. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Grrr, done a clean install and now the issue is back again on GM?

12. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Did you upgrade everything else to iOS 11 and 10.13 yet? Like I said - it seems there's a race condition when you're running a mix of old and new iMessage clients that messes up your iCloud authentication. I would have upgraded the iOS devices first, then the Macs.
    If the other devices are working (and upgraded) and it's just this one, remove it from your iCloud account. You'll have to go through and login everywhere on it again, but it should hopefully fix it.

13. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

I removed Mac from device list on appleid page and then logged in on my icloud of Mac and still imessage not working.

I get the message an error occurred in authentication.

14. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

You need to get everything on the same rev of iMessage to make sure you don't get corruption. (everything iOS 11 and MacOS 10.13)
    If you delete all of your devices back to just your iPhone being the only authorized device in iCloud, does iMessage function properly on that iPhone?
    (you don't want to go back to 0 devices, as you won't be able to do 2FA).

15. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

When I did what you said, I nearly lost my entire iCloud Photo library. My iPhone and other devices would not sync phots and stuck on updating on iPhone.

In addition it broke iMessage on iPhone, I had to google a trick of turning short name on and off. Apple have seriously screwed up something.

16. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Obviously i am on 10.13 on Mac and ios 11 on iphone. I deleted all of my devices from Apple ID. Started loggin back in to mac and then iphone.

Still cannot sign in on iMessages of Mac. W. T. F. is going on?

Also facetime on Mac cannot log in.

Everything works fine on iPhone.

Attached Files:

17. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

I'd be starting with the iPhone - make sure that everything works properly on it (iMessages, iCloud, Find my iPhone, FaceTime).
    Then you slowly, one by one, add your other devices (again, I'd do iOS devices first).

You guys are removing the devices from the Apple ID site, right? (not find my iPhone).

18. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

I did a cmd/alt P,R on Mac and now it connected on Facetime and on iMessage... its active again but i still dont get names on contacts only numbers. I send imessages on my friends its ok but contacts appear plain numbers....pffffff

19. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Yup removing completely, too risky to try again and lose my photos. Its a regional setting problem somewhere.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imessage-on-mac-not-showing-contact-names.2045918/

20. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Well, they seem to have broken continuity too. Messages aren't regularly showing up on all devices anymore (though they did in iOS 10/MacOS Sierra). They're often delayed and not come in order (though the order is displayed correctly when they come in).

iCloud forced me to change my password 4 times when I was doing beta testing this time around - never had it do that before. Royal PITA.

21. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

22. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

After 6-7 hours iPhone iMessage was back online and activated. Everything works fine on iPhone iMessage and FaceTime.

I did a clean install on Mac and here is what is going on right now. Each conversation I start on iPhone syncs with Mac iMessage. Also notification works fine. But i view most of the contacts on iMessage on Mac with Numbers and I cannot start Sms dialogs from Mac as i did before.

23. Winterfibre macrumors member

I'm still on siera by the sounds of it high siera is not worth the effort.

24. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

I think this more recent problem of not displaying the contact names / problems with the contacts list is because they didn't include the iCloud message sync feature (it got pulled before release) - and I think they broke some things by not doing so.