Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Cook admitting "payments taking off slower than we thought" reminds me a lot of how they responded to the trash can Mac Pro not being what pro's wanted. A day late and a dollar short. I just don't believe they've added enough value to using my credit card via a phone vs using my actual credit card. Either everything in my wallet has to go digital (I'm looking at you drivers license!) or the digital cards have to add more value than physical ones (rewards programs?)...it's pretty much that simple to me.
But it's not that simple. Do you realize that more than 1/5 of the country's driver licenses don't meet the new federal requirements? States are dragging their feet and they've asked for multiple deadline extensions on a redesigned ID.

Do you really think states would implement a digital ID? I mean it's worth trying but if you think Apple's wallet was slow to roll out, just wait until you start mixing in state politics.

Reactions: Heineken

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Everyone buying online would be handy and 'keep current'

However, i guess physical stores still must exist as online is impractical for those who don't have an internet connection or mobile yet they want to purchase an Macbook.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Seems to me there’s only two, maybe three likely internal candidates to succeed Cook as CEO. Jeff Williams, Phil Schiller and maybe Angela Ahrendts. In that order.

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
- Apple has internal candidates ready to succeed Tim Cook, which is a topic that comes up at every shareholders meeting.

He didn't say they were ready. He said the board has the right to seek external candidates, but that his goal is to prepare multiple, internal candidates.

Sinequanon83

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
- Apple has internal candidates ready to succeed Tim Cook, which is a topic that comes up at every shareholders meeting.

I had no idea this is a topic discussed every shareholders meeting. I wonder what names are being brought up and why do they have the need to discuss this every time? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually intrigued.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
156C3E0A-8094-4F8B-ABFA-38A2276E2B01.gif

Tim Cook: Everything is great! We have set a record number of sales the past year.

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I had no idea this is a topic discussed every shareholders meeting. I wonder what names are being brought up and why do they have the need to discuss this every time? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually intrigued.

It's not something that just "comes up". He stated it's on every agenda. As a publicly traded company, and especially one of Apple's size, there's almost always (as there should be) succession plans not just for retirement, but contingency in the case of death, illness, etc.

Reactions: Will.O.Bie

nexesnex

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Good thing that guy on iOS 9 didn't vote. Whew Apple dodged a bullet there!

One requirement prior to letting someone ask a question should be to see if someone has a phone newer than an iPhone 4 (Yes, I realize that iOS 9 is installed on phones later than iPhone 4's and that they did not mention what type of phone the person had.... ) ;):):eek:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002

A shareholder can be anyone who ownes one share of stock. Anyone who owns one share can attend these meetings and ask a question. Smart asses ask when will Tim be replaced. While there likely is a private internal list of potential replacement candidates (privy only to the top brass at Apple) those names are not public info nor should they be.

Reactions: Will.O.Bie

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Seems to me there’s only two, maybe three likely internal candidates to succeed Cook as CEO. Jeff Williams, Phil Schiller and maybe Angela Ahrendts. In that order.

Though this is not an internal candidate, Steve Jobs' son would make an excellent CEO, as he has many of the traits that Steve did. Just need to wait a few more years...

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
- Cook said mobile payments have "taken off slower than I personally would have thought." Adoption is speeding up though in key countries like China and Russia.
Interesting. He said "mobile payments" instead of Apple Pay. I think that's key. By now I think it's obvious Apple Pay isn't where they would like it to be. I am not sure about Russia, but the mobile payment adoption speeding up in China might be associated with Apple's decisions surrounding Alipay and WeChat. I have no evidence, but I think Apple misjudged end user willingness to change. They got most banks involved fairly quickly and easily. Businesses followed more slowly, kicking and screaming while doing it. Customers, by and large, don't seem to care. I think it's because paying for stuff really isn't that hard no matter how you do it.

Reactions: Marekul

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
psst...it's illicit

Psst. Rules for getting errors fixed in editorial stories are noted in Forum Rules Minor Problems #8:

The exception is articles appearing on our Front Page, Mac Blog, and iOS Blog. These entries are created by our professional staff. If you notice a spelling or grammar error in these articles, please send an e-mail to tips@macrumors.com.

Julie fixed this one within about 28000ms of reporting it. :)

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Thank GOD Cook doesn't like special dividends. We want more buybacks. Buyback those shares, Tim.

Excellent job.
[doublepost=1518559978][/doublepost]
With Tim, Apple is doomed. More bugs and bad decisons coming.
Apple needs a CEO, not a political activist.
Cook is FAR more than a political activist. Cook is a supply chain genius and an amazing leader. You not a shareholder?

$88.3B in revenue and $20B in profit in 90 days. People love the products and they are making amazing decisions at Apple. See the forest through the trees.
[doublepost=1518560114][/doublepost]
Tim may not like them, but I still hope there is a nice uptick in dividends this year. 10%/yr increase is nice, but with a few extra billion laying around, it wouldn't kill them to help me out a bit more. :)

But...I have a feeling they will only drastically increase their stock buyback. In theory that should at least keep the stock price moving up.
You don't want special dividends as a shareholder. They are a waste of our money. Buyback a cheap stock and increase the normal dividend 10%. Drive those outstanding shares down and drive long term EPS growth and save the money on dividend payments for the shares you retire.

I hope they spend all $163B of net cash on buybacks.

Reactions: chrisbru

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
However, i guess physical stores still must exist...

You mean Apple's "town squares"? No thanks. When they first opened, Apple's stores had a nice workshop vibe. Now they resemble a crowded bus station. The Genius Bar was convenient until they introduced online diagnostics. And shipping a defective product to them for service was less troublesome than waiting in a queue at the store.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Okay but low-key does anyone else see the guy in the photo provided with the story walking to the SJ theatre with his dog? Curious what the context is there. I thought maybe a service dog, which it very well could be, but the angle doesn’t easily show a harness on the dog stating such a role.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
With Tim, Apple is doomed. More bugs and bad decisons coming.
Apple needs a CEO, not a political activist.

"With Tim, Apple is doomed. More bugs and bad decisons coming."
I hear ya, bro. That's been coming every year since Jobs' death 7 years ago. Yet Apple continues to produce products people are willing to open their wallets and purchase.

Cook is doing an amazing job. Manufacturing, selling, and delivering roughly 600,000 iPhones per day, every day (on the average) is testament, as just one example.

While, not a political activist per se, Cook aggressively looks out for the interests of Apple, including its employees, and customers with respect to championing equal opportunity, non-discrimination, and privacy. I understand many here have issues with respect to those stances/causes in general.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.