Hints of Upcoming Apple News Magazine Subscription Service Spotted in macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Beta

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is rumored to be working on an Apple News subscription service that would provide access to magazines and paywalled news content for a monthly fee, and hints of that new subscription service have been spotted in macOS Mojave 10.14.4.

Developer Steve Troughton-Smith this morning shared some screenshots of the new subscription service pulled from the latest macOS 10.14.4 beta.

[​IMG]

The screenshots show notifications from the Apple News subscription service, which will alert subscribers when new issues of their favorite magazines are available. Similar subscription information has also already been seen in iOS 12.2, with the subscription service called "Apple News Magazines."

Apple's magazine subscription service is based on Texture, the digital magazine app that it purchased in 2018. Texture, which is still available via the App Store, provides access to over 200 popular magazines like People, The New Yorker, Time, National Geographic, Shape, Newsweek, and more, all for a $9.99 per month fee.

It's likely Apple's built-in Apple News magazine subscription service will be priced similarly, with customers able to sign up in the Apple News app and pay through standard iTunes billing.

Apple is also working on incorporating news subscription options into Apple News, however, so pricing and full details on how the service works remain unclear. Apple is likely planning to offer paywalled news and magazine access for one monthly fee, though some news sites are not on board.

According to rumors, while magazine publishers have agreed to Apple's subscription plans, the Cupertino company has been clashing with news publishers over the planned revenue split. Apple wants to collect 50 percent of the subscription revenue from its Apple News service, which is unappealing to paywalled sites that already collect more money from their standalone subscription options.

We'll learn more about Apple's subscription plans for its news service on March 25, which is when Apple is holding an event to unveil both the news subscription service and its upcoming streaming TV service.

Article Link: Hints of Upcoming Apple News Magazine Subscription Service Spotted in macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Beta

2. Freida macrumors 68000

3. maddogsrfr81 macrumors member

I'd like some innovation that doesn't cost a monthly fee....

4. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I kinda agree. This does seem a bit lame. Thanks to my library, I also have a feature to checkout magazines, Ebooks, Movies all from my devices right now.

I am sure they will laud it as extraordinary, "the kinda of feature that puts YOU in charge of your digital subscriptions all within the confines of your Mac iOS devices, it makes it so easy to broaden your horizon with more than 200 publishers...let's hear from ..."

5. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

Interesting idea, but I guess it will all boil down to what ‘magazines’ are actually on offer. If the user could literally pick-and-mix a select number of publications, then it would be great.

6. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

I'm all for this. It's a fair way to monetize written content. I'm ready to sign up on Day 1.

An entire generation has grown up expecting written content to be free but there are actual people working on it, investigating, researching, writing and editing to bring this content to us and they should be paid.

The ad model doesn't work and as a result publishing has been broken since the internet took over print. People aren't going to subscribe to dozens of magazines and newspapers individually, but Apple Music has shown us that they will pay one subscription to have access to all of it with content producers being paid per use.

7. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

How many of you feel as I do that both AAPL News & the new Video Streaming Service are both going to Bomb, BIG time ?

We live in a competitive world.

AAPL can't just show up Late to the Party, & expect to do well ... NOT without something truly Unique & Innovative ... & there are NO indications of that.

It does help their efforts, though, when two of the biggest AAPL Cheerleaders, Ives & Munster, are raising their Pom Poms as we get closer to March 25th !

8. archer75 macrumors 68020

I'm all for unlimited magazines for $9.99/month. Hopefully it has the ones I care about.

9. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Exactly.

You used to go to the newsstand to buy the newspapers. Newspapers were never free.

Neither they are today, but are funded by ads. Ad industry mines data like crazy, therefore, I am ready to pay for newspapers, if that mean ad industry will lose one big customer.

10. archer75 macrumors 68020

Texture already exists and is the same thing as what's coming. It reviews very well. The talent they lined up for the tv service, actors, writers, directors and producers is extensive. If you've seen the entire list of planned shows and everyone involved you may change your tune.
    Apple often shows up later to the party. But then they often do it better.

11. cardfan macrumors 68000

Magazines were dying I thought. I only see them in places of last resort. Waiting rooms. Even there everyone has a phone in their face. Besides didn’t Apple already do something with magazines and it failed?

12. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

I hope Apple indtroduces a bundle subscription model. Managing individual subscriptions of Apple services seem unwieldy now because I now have to have an iCloud storage subscription, and apple music subscription, and separately manage the streaming service and News subscription if I want those too. Apple should just integrate all four into one subscription, honestly.

13. Zaren macrumors regular

Zaren

That is a very good point. I think I might be ready to finally pay Apple for a service (or at least actually sign up for a free trial).

14. archer75 macrumors 68020

No. They own texture, which will be integrated into apple news. And it's successful.

15. Suttree Suspended

Suttree

I never paid for news and I never will. Pay money to the NY Times? Nice try. I’m happy with free news.

16. Websnapx2 macrumors regular

Why does it have to be amazing at launch? What a bizarre requirement. Why can't it be good to start and grow better with time?

Apple is the only company that if something isn't absolutely stellar right out of the gate they should close up shop and just give up... like every technology today that is seen as "best of breed" didn't grow into designation over time.

17. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

How did your parents read the news? And their parents...and so on? Were the news free back then? No.

News are not free. They are free for you to read because publishers have found alternative way of funding.

18. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

It's access to content from third parties. Obviously it will cost money, and never did it claim to be innovation. It's aggregation, just like cable.

19. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Dear Apple,

Can you please make this service available to non-US costumers?

Best wishes,
    Europe

20. chatin macrumors 6502a

chatin

When momentum shifts to Apple it will happen in a big way because the whole package sounds compelling.

21. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

I just fear all these new services, Apple TV, News, will be US only.

22. cardfan macrumors 68000

My daughter had to sell mags at beginning of school year. That was awful. No one wanted to buy those things. We were stuck buying some so she’d get a prize or something. They’d arrive and go in trash. Lol. You have the web. Why would you pay for this garbage?

23. Websnapx2 macrumors regular

Then enjoy articles with quizzes in them telling you what cheese is your spirit animal. Quality journalism costs money and there is no way around that. If the only journalism is ad supported then ads will influence your news more and more.

24. Khedron macrumors 65816

50% is a joke. I'd feel bad using it knowing every article I enjoy is being gouged by Apple.

25. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

So you've never bought a newspaper? Or you prefer to have ads on websites? Or, do you just prefer to steal others' work wholly?

26. Khedron macrumors 65816

I think Apple has innovated a business model even less reputable than advertising.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2019 ---
    I think the details of Apple's revenue split makes this legally fall under anti-mafia legislation.