Hmm.. so will 2.1 be available at 12:01 am?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, Sep 11, 2008.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Before people freak out and say "JUST WAIT", this is an innocent speculation question...

I am leaving for Europe in the morning, but would like to update the firmware before I leave for this supposed battery life boost...

What's the history like w/ firmware updates? I'm new to the iPhone scene so I'm not all too familiar.

2. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I'm hoping someone finds the link on Apple's servers and posts it here! :D

3. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been made live yet. It would have spared the load on the servers if they had released it slightly ahead of schedule.

But coming back to your question... 12:01 in which time zone?!

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

It is not likely to be available at 12:01am EST. It would still be Thursday in Cupertino.

Without looking anything up, it seems software updates are usually released late in the afternoon.

5. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Previously they have been released in the afternoons. I can't remember what time for sure. I think last one was like around 5PM EST. I hope this one will be midnight, but who knows for sure. I am thinking later on in the day though.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Actually, I think this is a good question, and brings up what Apple's strategy is/should be for rolling this out. For the last 2 releases I've been aware of (new to the iPhone scene myself), it was more along the lines of "BLAM! it's there, go get it!".

Since people everywhere on this rock are waiting for it, wouldn't it be saner and more balanced to release it per the timezone that you're in? e.g., released it to Australia at 12:01am AEST (9am Thursday morning CDT), and roll through one timezone per hour? It really wouldn't be that hard based off of IP address, but would be hard if a given country spanned multiple timezones. But at least it would be balanced out timewise..

Thoughts?

BL.

7. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm on the East Coast, so yeah, I guess even if it was released @ 12:01, that would be local to Cupertino, which would be 3:01.. =(

That would be nice if the paced the release based upon your IP, but I doubt it would happen.

8. DaveOZ macrumors regular

Sounds good to me, means I would have loaded it 7 hours ago. Sadly it's not there :(

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Excellent idea, but far too sensible to be adopted! :D

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Of course! :D

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, it wouldn't be hard for whichever country's Apple store to have a mirror that the firmware is seeded to, or better yet, have one mirror per timezone. When it hits midnight, flip the switch and it's available. Simply copy the file to the server, hide the file, set up a crontab entry to unhide the file at 12:01, and when the time comes, it's there.

But then again, it is too sensible, so it'll never happen.. otherwise I would have replaced Jobs by now..

BL.

11. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure they release updates at 9AM Cupertino time so PST time. I'll be out of school and downloading if thats the case :D

12. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Do people know what the "S" in "EST" and "PST' stand for? It stands for "standard" as in "eastern standard time." Right now, I'm pretty sure we're on daylight time here in the US, so the references should be to EDT and PDT. I have no idea about other countries zones, so you aussies and kiwis can decide this for yourselves.

No go about your business while I go back to being a huge dork.

13. vegas-steven macrumors regular

IMO it is always a terrible idea to take a known working g product and upgrade it before a big trip.

What if:
    1 it bricks your phone during the update?
    2 it mIss something crash more often for so e reason
    3 ithas some other problem you cannot foresee?

So now you would have a problem when all you wanted was possibly better battery life.

Best to wait and buy a battery pack or just charge from laptop etc.

14. DaZe3 macrumors member

15. sibruk macrumors 6502a

For your reference, spamdumpster (just to confuse matters around the "S"), in the UK we have:
    GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) in the winter
    BST (British Summer Time) in the summer

16. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

That sounds about right - the last update (or 2.0.1?) was released between 8-10am JST, which I think works out to mid-afternoon in Cupertino.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

But you assume that the rest of the world is also on Daylight Savings Time, which the Southern Hemisphere isn't. Hence why I referenced AEST: Australian Eastern Standard Time, e.g. Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra. Currently they are GMT +9 (at least until October/November). So while we're on DST, they aren't, and vice versa.

BL.

18. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Screw Cupertino, they should go by New Zealand time.
    It's 12:29 AM here in Stockholm (CET)... bring it already!

19. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Aren't we a little ethnocentric? :D

20. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Hell yeah. But since Apple is based in America where ethnocentricity is everyone's favorite pastime, I figured they would understand. ;)

21. eric11546 macrumors newbie

22. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Not true in all of the US, dude. Arizona, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, U.S. Virgin Islands and American Samoa do not observe Daylight Saving Time.

23. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

not every country has daylight savings. as a matter of fact it is a US thing and of all the countries i have been to America is the only one that used that.

Anyways it is already 0751 here in Japan and no update so, no, they are not releasing per time zone. would be nice though, that is the first thing i did when i woke up this morning was check.

24. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

I don't care when it comes I just want it to get here. I just hope we have power when its released freakin hurricanes coming!

25. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw