Hold on, an iMac is comming!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gimyslog, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Gimyslog macrumors newbie

Apple is not going to discontinue their flagship product. At least not yet for some time, I mean, it's the all-in-one computer that got them to where they are today.

That being said, an update is commning, and here are my thoughts,

Say it will be a simple spec bump, then there would be no reason for them not to simply announce it at wwdc like the spec-bumped macbooks, or to make a quiet bump like with the Mac Pro.

And if like some threads suggest it will be released next year, apple would cetainly drop the prices on the current 2011-model. They are not stupid, and for them to sell severly outdated technology at such high prices (especially with the eminent threat from dell and microsoft) would be to put nails in their own coffin.

So I believe that this situations points to a release connected to the release of moutain lion(late july), and that it will hold a bit more than a mere spec bump, something they wanted to spend more time announcing than what they could fit at WWDC.

Their complete neglection of the imac is a little bit too suspicious!

2. Vandefilm macrumors regular

Uuh, you're wrong. There are many people who buy the 2011 Imac now because apple didnt release the 2012 version yesterday. It's the perfect strategie to sell one year old stuff. Let people think there will be an update so they get frustrated and buy old stuff for a premium premium price.

3. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

I'm sorry i just don't believe most things regarding the iMac update anymore.

*Sticks middle finger up at apple*

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Whatever happens I am holding on. I have been waiting a year to buy an iMac. And i refuse to buy one until it is redesigned. Thats just what I want wheather you agree with that or not.
    However, I am tempted to upgrade my 2011 MBA to the new retina MacBook Pro. But then again maybe not. My point is, I am sticking in there waiting for the new iMac. Just imagine how we will feel when it's announced.

5. unknownx macrumors regular

I think its a 50/50 thing.. I think its a bad strategie

Ive been waiting for a new release of iMac and since it's not coming now, I will not buy the 2011-model. Pretty sure many ppl think the same..

I rather save the money and continue with my pc for one more year, and if i really was in need of a new computer right now, I would still not buy the older iMac.

If you buy one now you will always think, What if they release one in July, Or in 3 months? In the fall..

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I've posted this before a couple of weeks ago, but I think this is what they're working on to become the new iMac and hence the delay:

http://www.cultofmac.com/169875/what-apples-vibrating-pen-tells-us-about-the-future-of-everything/

Suddenly the iMac folding down onto the desk and vibrating pen patents make sense. Craig Federighi himself made it very clear at last year's WWDC what Apple thinks about touch screens and hands on a computer. But a vibrating pen that works like described in the article above... well, that seems like something Apple will try to do, just to differentiate itself from the upcoming Windows 8 touch Metro interface crapiola, yet still be similar. You have the pen, a normal keyboard, mouse and voice input to control your Mac. It seems like that would be the logical direction.

7. vincebio, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't know if you realise, but that's the 2011 model. Or are you making a joke?

9. Vandefilm macrumors regular

I think thesame as you as well. I have a PC tower with windows 7 and will buy the new Imac. But although I can't wait to get into the apple-experience, the tower is good enough to work on for just a little while longer.

But the 'true' apple fanboys will buy out of frustration and probably will buy the new Imac as well. It's a bad long-term strategie, but I think it will work once every 5 years.

10. quinn222 macrumors member

I've been six months without a computer since mine got fried by lightening. I've been holding out for a new iMac. So disappointed no new ones yesterday. I can't wait another year for a computer & can't afford a MBP. I really don't want to buy an old model iMac. I'm thinking maybe I'll pick up a cheap windows machine to use until iMac is refreshed.

11. oYx macrumors regular

what happened to the optimism that has been going around for tuesdays? it's tuesday soon!

12. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I agree. I want a top end iMac and I am not dropping £2.5k on something 1 year old with USB2 on it. That I can't upgrade as well.

13. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Optimism has been shooted in the face...thanks to Cook.
    He wants to earn but not to spend...this is how great things..collapse.
    He doesn't want to buy our money..but to sell its old pants as new..,
    i'd rather go with MY old one.
    No way i'll buy a 2011 model.
    Period.

14. boyd1955 macrumors member

I didn't use apple cos its an all in one computer ... I used apple cos it was a smooth reliable operating system that was unique
    I couldn't give a damn how slim it was or if it interfaced with and new social media or tells me what the guys down the park have scored whilst playing ball
    Apple have lost it
    Time to move on as it just makes toys for fashionistas now rather great computers

15. JayJayAbels macrumors 6502

JayJayAbels

My thing is this... I've been waiting for a new Mac Pro for... well... you know how long. After seeing the "update" I was REALLY REALLY hoping to compare it with a new iMac. But nope. Not yet. Look I'm absolutely confident it's coming fairly soon and I'll wait but the price of the retina display on the new MBP has definitely shook up my ambitions. It's pretty pricey and that's only a 15". Imagine what a 21" or 27" would run...

A 27" retina display would, imo, push it out of the affordable range for most. I know, I know... just buy the one without retina right? But that's a main selling point and a feature that MOST people want. I just feel they could eat some of that price to reel in new customers and attempt to establish a greater foothold in the desktop world. Retina displays provide the perfect platform to do that... but not with those prices.

One option would be to add a 17" iMac to the line up. I think I would grab a retina display at the point... maybe.

I dunno... :(

----------

No offense but I think it's time to... let go. There won't be any iMac today.

Soon... possibly over the summer or in the fall but not yet. They want to add a retina display to that line and it's simply too expensive to do so right now. Hell it might not even be possible at this point.

Just keeping it real bro.

16. HongKongFuey macrumors newbie

WWDC ain't over yet.

Hello everyone.

As a watcher of these forums (fora?), I also have been waiting with baited breath for an update to the iMac line. [Intent - replace battered and worn 2008 MBP with iMac & 11" MBA]. I was also somewhat disappointed with yesterday's lack of iMac/MP upgrades. However, let me put this out there - WWDC will run until Friday, and there may well be 'just one more thing' from Tim Cook. For example, weren't we told that there would be considerable 'chat' on ATV and its opening up to developers via a SDK? I'm pretty sure that wasn't mentioned in the keynote.

From a Game Theory perspective, we have seen TC concentrate on one portion of the company's product line - mobile computing. It would have put out mixed signals if there had been information on desktops and TVs too. I would expect, though, that something might be announced later in the week (after all, iMac does need to be upgraded). I'm not sure that he can continue to argue that the YOY drop in iMac sales is a macro-economic function ("we are still beating the PC market by dropping sales at a slower rate..."). Although the marginal cost of the iMacs now will be so low that the profit must be enormous, the company's reputation will be damaged if consumers continue to purchase new iMacs and realise that they have actually bought year-old technology with minimal upgrade potential.

In summary, then, let's hope for a "Just one more thing..." moment towards the end of WWDC, so that I can splurge my cash on new Cupertino toys!

Regards,

HKF.

17. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

iMac isn't their flagship product...alas no update yet

18. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Well said, number one super-guy.

I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the "one more thing" at the end of the keynote, didn't think they happened later in the conference.

Does anyone know when the MBA was pulled from the manilla sleeve? Keynote? Closer?

19. leman macrumors 604

I beg your pardon. While I am also very upset by lack of iMac news, the new MacBook Pro is an absolutely incredible computer which represents everything Apple stands for. No other company is able to create anything even remotely close to this.

20. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

This are just dreams...no "new "Mac Pro for 2 years..
    no new Imac till 2013?and for what?for a retina display...
    this is ridicolous...and its not the Apple that will see me buy
    anything else...even Acer looks more innovative..at Computex:eek:

21. Litany macrumors member

What a loser.

The iMac will not have a retina display. It adds an extra $600 to the MBP for a tiny 15" screen. Imagine a 27" screen, it would add well over $1000 to the price.

22. leman macrumors 604

Don't forget that a fast 256GB SSD is also included in these $600 ;) Right now, the retina MBP is a better bang for buck than the base MBP.

But you are right of course, we are still years away from an HiDPI 27" display.

23. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

What a tit.

*Sticks middle finger up at apple*

24. bulkknoccout macrumors newbie

As I stated in an another thread If you think about the product list that showed up meant something because most of it matched up with the refreshed products on the Australia apple site and when u add the to the cart the price matches. Also the ipad cases matched....it seem weird to me that this info came out before and most of it match up...so it probably means something for iMacs...check it out.... we still dont know when its coming but obviously those left over part number are for something.......

25. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

I won't buy the current iMac either.
    Say what you will about Apple strategies: frustrating your clients is not a good bet.
    I know their strategy has put them where they are today. But I disagree twith the theory that "Apple do as they please, they are a colossus and if you don't like it, look elsewhere".

The secrecy is aimed at rivals, but apparently also at customers.
    Many will buy now (an outdated machine) just out of frustration or being tired of waiting.
    And then, if/when the new iMac comes out, the frustration will double.

Mid to long term plans should be secret, but short range plans need to reach the end user/buyer.