Holding iPad with Smart Cover on

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eagleglen, Mar 18, 2011.

1. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Do you like holding your iPad with the smart cover on? I really like the concept of the smart covers. I like the minimalist design, the slick way it attaches, and of course, the way it turns the iPad on and off. But honestly, when I'm holding the iPad, I'm constantly flipping the cover around trying to find the most comfortable position to keep it. I'd prefer not to take it off, but I fold it in half, into the tube, with the flap on the top in landscape, with the flap on the bottom, pretty much any way possible. I guess I don't like the fact that it's not secured when folded back. Anyone else frustrated with this?

2. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

The smart cover is a gimmick, I got the macally case on eBay and it rocks.

3. COMtnBiker macrumors member

Yes. Then again, I've only had it for 20 minutes so far. I think I'll return it, though.

4. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

I usually carried my original iPad with the Apple cover in the 'stand' position and my fingers inside the 'triangle' that that position made. It feels no different to me to carry this one with the smart cover folded into the triangle. I guess it's just what you're used to!

5. pintnight macrumors 6502

Which one did you get?

6. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

Still wondering if I got a fluke cover or something. I fold my cover around and it just sticks to the back. I don't need to think of a special way to hold it, and nothing is flapping around. Huh.

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

That's why it's designed so it could easily be removed. I came to the conclusion that's its just a Screen Protector for Travel.

8. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

9. xMBPx macrumors regular

Everything Apple does is a gimmick haha. That's the only way they make money.

Anyways, I was totally sold on the smart cover until I used it for a couple days.

I had how insecure it is on the back when folded. Also, I traveled with it 3 days after I bought it. After the plane ride the cover has detached from the side and was just sliding around on the iPad. The secureness through magnet strength just isn't quite right yet. Also, I had the black leather, and it would rub off on the back. I had distinct lines where the creases matched up. Took it back and cleaned the back and haven't had a problem since.

I'm waiting for the incase sleeve and Power Support Anti-Glare screen protector.

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

11. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

I plan on folding it in half like the iPad 1 case.

12. jaimeastin macrumors regular

Returned the within 18 hours...

It sucks... I mean the best thing about it was the on and off feature, but honestly, i did not mind putting it to sleep or letting it go to sleep by itself on the original ipad... Number two and most important is that it is a pain to find a sweet spot while holding it... Folding it back half way locks it, but if you try to hold it with one hand (left hand) and let it cover all of the back, it just hangs.... NOT SMART! I returned it the next day. I found one for the original ipad that fit this one and have not looked back. I wish i could find some information for it online. It was only $15. Of course not real leather, but it covers the front and back, and stay nice and then. Looks and performs really nice :)

Cant wait for incase to make the magazine cover with magnets. That would truely be a smart cover.. Apple copied and failed by only getting it HALF RIGHT... The original cover was nice. All it needed was a camera hole.:apple:

13. jaimeastin macrumors regular

I see more value in this than the smart cover... :apple:

14. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The smart cover is a joke, along with the price of it. I would never purchase an Apple accessory for an iPod, iPad, or iPhone. They make junk, state it's revolutionary, and sell it for $80. Pure money scamming.

15. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I dig mine. Folding it into a triangle gives the iPad a left handed grip. When I want it flat I fold it in half. When it's in the way I take it off. Because I don't worry about scratches on the back the smart cover is perfect for me.

16. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Not frustrated at all.

It's a very practical accessory that gives iPad 2 a bit of attitude.

It's a cover that can be used to prop the device. Anyone expecting more than this shouldn't have even bothered.

As for holding iPad with the cover, I find no problem in that area. When the microfiber gets bothersome, just take it off. It's a cinch.

My only gripe is the bars the cover leaves on the screen. But they're negligible when iPad is on and I use the cover far too much to wipe them off every time. A minor snafu. Not a deal breaker.

I favor the smart cover over every other doohickey out there because it covers the iPad without covering the iPad, thus enhancing the experience.

17. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

18. gr8tfly, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've only been using it for a day, and I have to say I'm not thrilled with it. It fits nicely as a screen cover, it's nice it wakes the iPad, but I agree: holding the iPad with the cover on is a pain - sometimes literally.

When it's folded back, the bottom edges of the hinge are not rounded or beveled. I hold the iPad by the bottom corners, especially when typing with thumbs. This puts that hinge edge into the heel of my hand and it just feels rough/sharp. It's not too bad if I hold it higher, but then it shifts back and forth.

Another item is the end hinge pieces can contact the side edge of the iPad when the cover it's folded against the back. I also looked at the clearance when using the cover as a stand. I can't remember which position, but one put those hinge pieces in the same place - against the iPad's case. I can imagine, after use, there will be a mar at that spot.

The only thing keeping me from returning it immediately is I typically prop the iPad up against a pillow on my lap, so I'm not holding the iPad at all. When I get up, I can just swing the cover closed and set the iPad down. I'd say I use it like that most of the time, so when I'm holding it in my hand, I can just remove the cover.

I agree on the price. That must be some kind of special cow for this small piece of leather adding $30 to the price. Maybe it's handstiched... :rolleyes:

I used my iPad 1 naked most of the time, and used the Apple case as a folder to drop the iPad into when I get up from the couch. The only time I'd put it in the case is when I took it out of the house. So, I suppose I'll just pop the "Smart" cover on and off, depending what I'm doing.

19. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

This is what I started doing the evening of launch and it's been working ever since. It makes a really nice grip.

20. gatearray macrumors 65816

Black leather smart cover here.

From closed position, I open it up and fold it back so the microfiber is on the outside, then hold it in my left hand. I find it makes a nice, slightly thicker grip for holding the iPad, but sometimes I just pull it off and use the iPad naked as God intended. :)

I like the smart cover a lot and will be keeping it. It looks dynamite when closed, easy to grab and go as-is, and the auto-wake is really cool, too. I had the original Apple case for my iPad 1, and would sometimes switch it up with a Hard Candy Squish Skin.

21. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Here's what I don't like but I'm sure it's just me being nit-picky:

To me, the smart cover is supposed to be folded over the top of the device putting the home button and bottom of the device on the left hand side when in landscape mode. The problem I have with this is that when holding it this way my hand naturally covers the speaker. This is why I always held my iPad 1 with the home button on the right when in landscape.

I guess I could get used to holding it with the smart cover folded under the bottom but I like to fold it in half across the back and just let it hang while I hold the iPad. I don't want it to hang down below the iPad but I'm ok of it hangs behind.

Like I said, it's probably me just being nit-picky

22. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

23. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

It doesn't bother me.

If I'm laying it in my lap or table I'll fold the smart cover open to cover the whole back.

If I'm holding it I fold it on itself so it sticks together (fold it in half with the felt sides together with the plastic/leather on the outside). I hold it mainly with my left hand so that keeps it from flopping around at all.

Other than being overpriced like all Apple accesories, I love the smart cover. I'm not anal about protection--that and a neoprene sleeve for when it's in my bag is sufficient IMO. So I love it being so thin and light and not adding bulk to the case. And it works great as a typing angle stand on desk or as a video watch stand to stand it upright.

24. ozred macrumors 6502

I agree, it's an overpriced (certified Apple Tax) item designed specifically to increase profit per unit sold. Based on the way it's integrated in the promotional photos on Apples site, I predict they'll sell millions.

Then once people realize how cumbersome they are, they'll be removed and sit collecting dust, wasted money.

When it comes to upselling, Apples the master.

25. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

No problems here. It's a much more stable stand for the iPad than the original case, is nice and slim, and either remove it or fold it in half behind when in use. I bought the red leather and am actually considering getting an additional color or two for wardrobe coordination.