Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
If this was a touch case I would still be pumped because they would never make a touch bigger and better then the iPhone. They may make it on par with the iphone (aesthetically speaking), but never nicer. So no matter what the case is for, it still means iPhone 5 will be one mean SOB!

Bigger doesn't necessarily equal better. And a size increase in the iPod doesn't mean the iPhone will get the same increase. If apple can squeeze a larger screen into the same size iPhone, then I am ok with a larger screen under these conditions, but I by no means need a larger screen and I do not want the iPhone to become significantly larger and less-pocketable.

Not counting the uber-geek spec-whores among us, I think the average iPhone user out there is happy with the current size. The women I know probably don't care either way, but the men definitely would oppose this as they do not want to carry a man-purse for their phone.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Tapered? Crazy talk.

I'd be completely flabbergasted if we ended up with a teardrop design. NO one ask for it and it would be totally impractical. Not to mention you couldn't fit half the iPhone's components into a shape that tapered down to a point on one end. Ludicrous.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
I'd be completely flabbergasted if we ended up with a teardrop design. NO one ask for it and it would be totally impractical. Not to mention you couldn't fit half the iPhone's components into a shape that tapered down to a point on one end. Ludicrous.

How do you know what Apple can and cannot do?

I do suspect a teardrop design is unlikely, but it both wouldn't surprise me or phase me in the slightest, I will still get one.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california

I don't remember anyone asking for an iPhone with a completely flat glass back either, but here we are. Apple do what they want, end of story.

muledogus

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009
I love how the 4th picture has nothing but a camera smack dab in the middle of the top. Very classy work.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

With Lion all about gestures & iOS 5 bringing gestures to the iPad, I wouldn't put it past Apple to make a larger iPhone screen to take full advantage of gestures.

I think 5" is too big, but I suspect a 4" screen is coming. Also, I think Apple would be wise to have non-screen edges to the iPhone so people can hold it either I portrait or Landscape without interfering with the actual screen.

Here's hoping we find out soon. As it stands now, only a major upgrade will get worldly acclaim.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
Ummm...Weren't you just saying..(and I quote)..

"They're releasing a marginal update. If you take the more solid rumors to heart, you'll see that there is little chance of a "Shock and Awe" product coming to us. That's not their style. They release maginal updates that excite us just enough to upgrade"

You are saying in this post that "it's exciting to see the rumors start to meld together" suggesting that we are getting something new and exciting. BUT in your other post you are saying that the "rumors" suggest that we aren't getting anything new or exciting..Which is it?

Wow, good work Nancy Drew. And entirely necessary. What a load off :S

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011

Well... no one asked for the industrial design of the iPhone 4 either... but Apple still gave one anyway. ;)

Apple's pretty good at making some sexy products (history shows), so it'd be best to wait and see what iPhone 5 will look like. Maybe the tapered tear drop design will look good when you actually touch it and feel it. I thought the iPhone 4 was the ugliest phone I had ever seen when I first saw it on Gizmodo... until I actually touched it and felt it first hand.

As for iPhone components fitting inside a tapered tear-drop design... who says Apple can't change them around! It'd be ludicrous to think that Apple can't change the design of its internals along with the externals.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Well... no one asked for the industrial design of the iPhone 4 either... but Apple still gave one anyway. ;)

Apple's pretty good at making some sexy products (history shows), so it'd be best to wait and see what iPhone 5 will look like. Maybe the tapered tear drop design will look good when you actually touch it and feel it. I thought the iPhone 4 was the ugliest phone I had ever seen when I first saw it on Gizmodo... until I actually touched it and felt it first hand.

As for iPhone components fitting inside a tapered tear-drop design... who says Apple can't change them around! It'd be ludicrous to think that Apple can't change the design of its internals along with the externals.

I thought the iPhone 4 was the ugliest phone I had ever seen when I first saw it on Gizmodo... and I still do.

But i do believe we can see a screen size upgrade, and i believe the maximum Apple will go will be 4" question is...
what will happen to the 300dpi+ retina display?

jdlorinser

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
We can be pretty darn sure there's never going to be a 5" iPhone. I think it's a bit of a stretch expecting a 4" iPhone (and I want one desperately). I think Apple is just arrogant enough to stick with 3.5, maybe 3.7 and that's it.

I'll be the first to shout praise from the rafters if we get a 4" iPhone next month, that's for sure. If Apple sticks with 3.5" then I will not let the door hit me in the ass on the way out.

Totally agree.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Here's the pic of the inphone 4 in the case. The first post in this thread was showing an ipod touch. I certainly hope the new iphone has a 4" screen but it could just be thinner and taller/wider with a 3.5 or 3.7" screen. It's not that much bigger so the size weenies need to calm down...

img_4070.jpg

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I thought the iPhone 4 was the ugliest phone I had ever seen when I first saw it on Gizmodo... and I still do.

Hm, well, I wouldn't call it the ugliest phone... there's seriously some worse looking phones around. But, let's just say I preferred the design of my 3GS to a 4. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.