home empty handed -- because im an existing customer!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdcrow711, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

at&t mgr just kicked me out of line and said at&t cannot process those NOT eligible for 199/299 pricing until tomorrow. said it was ceo rule and they cant override that or risk getting fired

WTF!?

2. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

LOL WTF?

Are you kidding? Go back there and complain. Or write to Apple. That is the most bull **** story i've ever heard. Probably just an excuse to get a friend in line, or that they can't even have a line in front of the store so they dont get in trouble.

4. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

there were 11 in front of me -- all upgrade eligible and staying -- 5+ behind me. store had at least 60 phones. so it was legit apparently

5. yescurvyswab macrumors member

That's because they've already got you hooked. They only care about getting as many new customers as they can. :-/

6. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

WTF...doesn't make sense if they have plenty of phones.

I could see them doing this for only New Customers...since they aren't hooked. But refusing to take perfectly good money for people willing to pay the full price? Yet allowing people already hooked but eligible to get one?

7. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Override what? There's the $399 option, that doesn't need overriding, it's a normal option. Unless they were saying they might make an exception for the $199 price for you, but due to the rules, no exceptions or overrides until maybe after the launch.

8. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

The way I read it...override the CEO's order to not sell to ineligible customers. That is what is stopping the manager from selling to him apparently.

Kind of makes me glad I can't get mine today...since I'm an existing customer who is ineligible.

9. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

of course now that im at work at an ungodly hour.... i wonder why i didnt just sign a new contract to get the 200 discount on phone, swap numbers on the contracts later today and cancel for 175! :(

10. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Of course. They already have your money. Why would they care about fish they've already hooked when there's new ones to catch?

11. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

per my OP -- i was told you cannot do the 399/499 option until TOMORROW per ceo of at&t

12. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

The point is...according to the OP they aren't kicking people out of line if they are existing customers (ie people already hooked) who are upgrade eligible. It's not as if they are limiting it to only new customers...they aren't according what he said.

13. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Can anyone else confirm? I was just about to head out early to work and try my luck.

14. mrbc19 macrumors member

JD, are you in DC? Which ATT store did you go to?

15. kenelbow macrumors newbie

Seriously? I am in line right now. I am an existing customer but am upgrade ineligible. The employees here have been coming out every once in a while to talk to us and have not mentioned this to any of us. Is there confirmation of this somewhere? An actual memo from the AT&T CEO or perhaps confirmation of this happening to people at multiple stores? I will very disappointed if I got up at 4:00 am toady only to get turned away.

16. MisterBlister macrumors newbie

Be Warned!!!

That is correct. I'm in Arlington, VA - and they definitely aren't taking ANY existing customers who are NOT eligible. In my case, I'm actually eligible for an early upgrade, and was told prior to today that I could just waltz into the store and they'd take care of my upgrade (there are special instructions in my account notes).

Today, however, the manager came out in line and was checking people's upgrade eligibility, and he said there's NO WAY to handle that today. Told me to come back tomorow for that.

Sucks...

17. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

baileys crossroads in falls church by the best buy

18. MisterBlister macrumors newbie

Dude! We were at the same store...Where were you in line?

19. Keane Fan macrumors member

Are you saying that if you're an existing customer eligible for an upgrade you can't go in todaY??!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. MisterBlister macrumors newbie

No, if you're eligible you're good to go. Just as long as your upgrade eligibility shows up on the little ATT tool they have on their PDA's at the store.

21. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

12th --

22. MisterBlister macrumors newbie

Damn, that's unfortunate...I must have gotten there later, I was in line right around the corner. Got there at 5:45ish

23. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

i am about to call at&t when the CS call center opens. I leave on travel before stores open tomorrow morning and really wanted the phone before i go. AND ITS MY DAMN BIRTHDAY TODAY! :mad:

24. MisterBlister macrumors newbie

Yeah, I called the main CS line, spoke to two different people. The first lady said I should be able to get ANY phone upgrade, the clerk just has to follow the instructions on my account. The second lady said that for the iPhone specifically, they are only handling 'upgrade eligible' people today, and she wasn't even sure what my luck would be like tomorow.

Sadly, the store out at Bailey's doesn't open till 10am tomorow, and I, too, am travelling.

25. verks macrumors member

verks

just spoke to the store manager here and she said it does not matter you will just have to pay more. I'm in cleveland.