Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgGIdoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
I set up a Home automation geo location rule. i.e. when I get home, unlock door and turn on light.

However, when I get close to home... an alert pops up and says... 'Do you want to run home automation?'.

What is that about?? Why ask me... if it asks me... I might as well just open the app and hit the switch every time.

I thought automation, means automation.

Anyone have any ideas why it asks this? I can't find anything.
Thanks!

p.s. I do have two identical iPhones with same account info loaded on them (a personal and work phone).

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Uhm, I do not know how this works, but what you are expecting it to do is exactly what I assume it would do.
Don't tell me it requires a manual confirmation each time it does anything automated? xD
Gee..

What use is saying to Siri from your bed: "good night siri" and it turns the stuff off, AFTER you go through 5 popups saying yes, the lights, yes the ddoor lock, yes turn off the heater, yes, buy a pirate ship..

kid2010

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
I set up a Home automation geo location rule. i.e. when I get home, unlock door and turn on light.

However, when I get close to home... an alert pops up and says... 'Do you want to run home automation?'.

What is that about?? Why ask me... if it asks me... I might as well just open the app and hit the switch every time.

Thanks!

p.s. I do have two identical iPhones with same account info loaded on them (a personal and work phone).
This is a new behavior in iOS 10. It was added to prevent automation being accidentally executed due to inaccurate location.

Eg. If you have an automation to unlock the door when you get home, you don't want the automation get executed at night because your GPS location shifted out of your home and then come back...

This certainly destroy the purpose of automation. It would be nice if there is at least an option for user to allow automation to be executed automatically without confirmation. You can try to send feedback to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/

jgGIdoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
This is a new behavior in iOS 10. It was added to prevent automation being accidentally executed due to inaccurate location.

Eg. If you have an automation to unlock the door when you get home, you don't want the automation get executed at night because your GPS location shifted out of your home and then come back...

This certainly destroy the purpose of automation. It would be nice if there is at least an option for user to allow automation to be executed automatically without confirmation. You can try to send feedback to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I set up an automation to unlock kitchen door and turn on a light.... as I pulled up last night.... a pop up on my phone says... 'run automation?'.
I'm like wtf... why is it asking me.... If I need to confirm it... what is the point.....

So I set up anther one and tested it last night (yes, I got in car and drove away from my home). I set up when I leave to lock door and turn on light.... pop up again asking if I want to run automation... WTF???

This morning I set up another one... when I leave... turn on a light only.
I left and got on road.. no pop up.... when I checked... the light was on.

So maybe if locks involved... it wants you to confirm.... no locks involved... it just does it...
Safety feature..... ??
Kinda makes sense...

Any others have same experience?
Thanks.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I set up an automation to unlock kitchen door and turn on a light.... as I pulled up last night.... a pop up on my phone says... 'run automation?'.
I'm like wtf... why is it asking me.... If I need to confirm it... what is the point.....

So I set up anther one and tested it last night (yes, I got in car and drove away from my home). I set up when I leave to lock door and turn on light.... pop up again asking if I want to run automation... WTF???

This morning I set up another one... when I leave... turn on a light only.
I left and got on road.. no pop up.... when I checked... the light was on.

So maybe if locks involved... it wants you to confirm.... no locks involved... it just does it...
Safety feature..... ??
Kinda makes sense...

Any others have same experience?
Thanks.

I do not have locks on my security system yet, just lights and I have not been prompted to run my geo fenced items. I have it setup, that when I come home at night, within "X" yards, turn on the following lights. I have not been prompted once.

jgGIdoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
I do not have locks on my security system yet, just lights and I have not been prompted to run my geo fenced items. I have it setup, that when I come home at night, within "X" yards, turn on the following lights. I have not been prompted once.

Thanks for input. I set up one geo fence with just lights... and it worked. So I am concluding that when any locks are involved, there is a prompt to ask a confirmation question.

kid2010

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
Sorry I forgot to mention that... This popup will only occur if the automation contains security related accessories like door lock, window, garage door opener and security system.

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
As others have mentioned, iOS 10 will not allow a characteristic or location trigger to automatically enable a scene that alters the security of your home, like altering the position of a garage door or deadbolt. I loved being able to do this with iOS 9, with iBeacon proximity triggers. What I did was separate my security devices into a separate scene which runs on a timer, and the other scenes with devices like lights will automatically trigger without a confirmation prompt.

vondo

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2013
I have an open bug with Apple about automation pop-ups. For locking doors (which it also does, this makes no sense). But imagine this scenario. You lose your bag with your ID and your phone. Viola, anyone who takes your phone in the vicinity of your house automatically opens the house and can rob you. Same thing with "Hey Siri, unlock the door". It tells you have to unlock the phone first.

I guess I haven't tried it, but you might even be able to "Hey Siri, take me home" to any lost iPhone and find out where the person lives.
[doublepost=1476729303][/doublepost]
Thanks for input. I set up one geo fence with just lights... and it worked. So I am concluding that when any locks are involved, there is a prompt to ask a confirmation question.
But also for locking locks instead of unlocking. That makes no sense whatsoever.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I too just got the Schlage lock as my only HomeKit device and have the same prompt with automation. Very disappointed. Was hoping to just arrive at my door and have the door unlocked for me. Oh well, guess that's what kids are for.

sldsnk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2005

Thanks!

This is a security feature to prevent unlocking your house if your phone is locked. To get around it go to the settings app then Touch ID & Passcode, enter your pin and turn off "Home Control". The downside is obviously anyone can unlock your house without having to unlock your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.