HomePod Availability is Tightening Ahead of Friday's Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

HomePod supply is beginning to dwindle ahead of the speaker's launch this Friday across the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia.

[​IMG]

Apple Store pickup is now unavailable for the HomePod in all three countries, following several days of launch day availability, while delivery estimates for online orders of the speaker in Space Gray and White have been pushed back to February 12 in both Australia and the United Kingdom.

HomePod orders placed today on Apple's online store are still estimated for delivery on February 9 in the United States, when limited quantities of the speaker will be made available to walk-in customers at select Apple Stores and resellers, including Best Buy, John Lewis, Harvey Norman, Telstra, and EE.

Apple still lists most orders in the "Preparing for Shipment" stage, but that should soon change to "Shipped" as Friday draws closer. As noted in our forums, some customers have already been able to obtain a UPS tracking number.

HomePod sales will long be a subject of debate, as Apple's delivery estimates only serve as anecdotal evidence of exact supply and demand. We'll likely never know for certain, as the speaker will be grouped under "Other Products" in Apple's earnings results alongside products like the Apple TV and Apple Watch.

The embargo for HomePod reviews has just lifted this morning, with articles from The Verge, The Wall Street Journal, CNET, TechCrunch, iMore, and others. We'll have a more in depth roundup to share shortly.

Article Link: HomePod Availability is Tightening Ahead of Friday's Launch

2. mozumder, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018

mozumder macrumors 6502a

Needs connectivity options.. how do you play your TV/Xbox/Computer sounds through it?

Seems of very limited use/purpose. Siri isn't a system seller, not sure who this is targeting. A proper "HomePod" would also have a 16:9 iPad screen to watch TV programs.

Also, non-mobile home devices should always be wired to network, instead of wireless..

3. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I agree. My ears to two Homepods :D

I have a sneaky suspicion it will open up after the initial launch period (couple months)

4. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

Really good overview from iMore, including very reasonable checklists for what type of customer the HomePod is and isn't designed for.

5. smr macrumors 6502a

UK availability was 13th yesterday, 14th this morning but I see it is now back to 12th, so it is fluctuating quite a bit!

6. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Looks like the review embargos are lifting.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolenguyen/homepod-review

7. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

How well do they do that though? That's probably the reason Apple hasn't implemented it yet.

8. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

I've heard Googles links the Voice data from individual accounts and works very well (I've also heard Amazon individual voice detection isn't the best). I haven't personally tried either but very much hoping this comes to Homepod. Otherwise it's kind of pointless in family settings.

9. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Still available for delivery on Friday. Store p/u on Friday still available at BestBuy -- at least the stores near me. Store p/u cut off is likely due to logistics, not availability.

11. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Rene Ritchie got an exclusive with Apple on HomePod. I’m a little surprised Apple doesn’t give him more exclusives. Honestly I wish they’d hire him to work in their communications department. Often times I think he does a better job of explaining Apple’s intent than Apple executives do.

https://www.imore.com/homepod

13. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Where is it lacking?

14. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

You mean he doesn't already work for Apple?

15. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

16. metalsiren macrumors regular

metalsiren

I originally had one for order and then canceled it. for my Amazon echo, its on my account but anyone can use it when i am not home, add things to a shopping list etc. When I heard homepod lost most of its features when the main account person wasnt there is when I canceled. I travel for work and my family should be able to have full capabilities when I am not there. or at the very least give me the choice to allow them to have it...

until that happens, no thanks.

17. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Yeah their news articles can be well done (or at least they exceed my expectations of Buzzfeed clickbait articles for gifs). Their review answered a lot of outstanding questions I still had about the device.

I also saw on the Verge that the power cable is built in and non removable (9to5mac had previously said it was removable)

18. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

This for playing music...

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Or more precisely, this is for playing Apple Music. ;)

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Really interested in one, but sadly will have to utilize the Apple Return policy to give it a good test. Really hard to know how well an audio system will work, giving a quick listen at some random room or store.

21. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Because it's giving it a good review, certain people on this forum will even call the reviews nonsense just like with the AirPods :rolleyes:

22. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    A bunch of pre-release demo reviewers touted over and over recently because they were generally-to-very favorable on the product in their demo and "first look" (not-a-review) articles, are about to be bashed and marginalized for daring to now write down tangible cons in their official reviews.

So very right last week, yet likely to become so very wrong this week. What changed?

23. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

There are some caveats to take into consideration, but "pointless" is an exaggeration. It's not hard to share playlists between Apple Music users and it's also not hard to "dislike" unwanted recommendations that show up in your account as a result of family member use of the HomePod.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple makes this. It's called the iPad Pro. You can use any number of bluetooth or Airplay speakers -- including the HomePod -- if you want better sound from it.

The HomePod isn't intended as an out-of-the-home portable product. Why would one need a screen? I have a 26", 32", 42" TV and a 100" projector screen. Most people have at least one medium to large screen. Why would they want to watch at home on an iPad screen?

I see a few deficiencies with the HomePod, but not having a screen isn't one of them. Hopefully that never happens. That would truly be a Jump The Shark moment.

25. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

I was planning to order two when they were announced last year. After hearing some of the shortcomings that won't initially be integrated upon release (syncing multiple speakers together, no multiple user support, etc.) I am going to do what I seem to be doing more of lately in regards to Apple products, wait and see.