Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I was given all three of Bose's similar SoundLink speakers as gifts, even though I have component systems in two rooms, and ceiling speakers in most rooms. Nevertheless, the gifts saw use in the garage, basement, and outdoors. All things being relative, they sound okay for speakers their size. I mostly listen to podcasts however when I'm doing a chore in those spaces. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's Homepod is actually superior to the similarly-sized Bose offerings, but I'm curious to see if people buy these in significant numbers. I very, very, rarely encounter people in offices or homes listening to music or other audio through speakers these days. If anything, they wear headphones and earbuds. Will this change their listening preference? Will be interesting to see. People's preferences seem to go in circles. One day, they are listening to the radio. The next, they are purchasing and curating music manually. Then they are essentially back to "radio", streaming content they don't have to manage so much.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

snoonw

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2016
Next to nothing. They do sell it at a slight loss (remember with them, you and your retail buying are the real product so they make more money by getting it in your house) but it's certainly less than $50.
The cost of components isnt the real cost the cost of R&D cost for warranty cost for customer support and various other things all add up. they also need to have a cheaper entry level model and make the speaker alot more smarter
amazon echo rules the iphone space and google home rules the android space.
but google home is alot more smarter then all of them
amazon had a lead with device integrations but that lead has just disappeared
homepod has to start integrating with 3rd parties .

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
There's no way that LED light system costs $60. This time estimate is rather high considering they aren't incorporating other costs. Not accurate at all.

snoonw

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2016
I agree with your general idea of people wanting to stay Apple anyways.

I agree with Apple watch. Best smart watch out there. Perfect companion IOT to iPhone

Airpods I agree with partially, I’ve seen quite a few android users lovingly using their airpods with their phones.

HomePod is a strong arm lock in to Apple Music. They should open it up for Spotify APIs and just be smarter.

It’s still an anchor, especially if you have to have an iPhone to get it running — despite great sound. Not the case with airpods

apple watch is like any other smart watch i have the same or even more capabilites yrs before apple watch came out
apple watch GPS takes too much battery cant run marathon

airpod or even the google earbuds dont impress me only so little battery life and u need to keep on recharging
i use lg over the neck BT headsets although not perfect but they r alot better then airpods.
16hr battery
no need to carry stuff in pocket
never falls off
u can remove from ear when talkin to ppl
much better in every way

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
the price of the HP is ok for me, the price of iPhone X NEVER! I bought an iPhone 7 instead of an iPhone X. So i had money for the HP. Does the iPhone X sounds better? No. And the best: this is the first version of HP. I am very excited of the next generation(s). Very cool stuff.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
That seems like a lot, I expected something below $150 to be honest.
Does anybody know the component costs for Amazon's Echo?
tbh is much more than just a speaker.

If accurate, then they’re charging a totally reasonable amount for it.

IMO no... BT speakers have been in that price range since forever, and were usually only speakers. They're undercharging it to undermine competition. Next one wont be as cheap; Or they're doing a similar thing as they do with their pro apps.

I.e. Logic Pro X is notoriously cheap compared to competition (and feature wise), but costs a fraction. But, it sells Macs!

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Hopefully they raise the price. They ain't makin enough. :p

I realize you're joking. But this is not the first time Apple has done this. The assumption by Apple is that the component costs will reduce over time, restoring margins; while the lower price helps them build share, which results in higher component volumes and (presumedly) lowered costs.

Reactions: loby

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I understand your comments. I remember a time when owning Apple products made you an outsider. Had to constantly explain to my PC friends, family and co-workers, that yes Mac software is limited, but you can do anything on a Mac you can do on a PC. Took people a long time to get past that preconception. I agree it was like an eclectic boutique thing for many, and you had to pay more to play.

Sure they continue this "Luxury Goods" business model, and are late to the party, but I feel they are beginning to fall short with the "pay more for an improved product" strategy. For a time it was innovation that drove sales. Remember the first iPhone? First iPad? strokes of genius. I was happy to pay more. The first aluminum MacBooks? Heck I even had two of the original iMac G3's, one in blue, the other in purple. There were faster computers out there that did more for less, but the Apple design blew the competition away. It was worth the extra cost to me.

No denying their cash flow is impressive, but I wonder how long it will continue. Especially since some of their latest offerings have been a bit underwhelming to many.

With their latest late to the party smart speaker offering, the HomePod does not seem to separate itself from the pack with improvements vs the cost you pay for a "Luxury product" as much as I had hoped. Just my opinion.

We're definitely down into the weeds of differing opinions.

I agree that the whole outsider thing is over. You can't have 1 billion devices in active use and be an outsider. I never cared about that aspect of Apple culture, so I don't miss it. For those who do miss it, I can sympathize, there are things from my past that I miss very much, too, when I choose to dwell upon them. Most of the time, I just have to let them go.

My problem with the "no innovation" argument is that innovation tends to be in the eyes of the beholder. One person's "Wow!" is another's "Ho hum." Around here, it seems that if a person doesn't care about a particular innovation, then it simply doesn't count.

I'm currently listening to my HomePod, and am impressed with what it is. Others are disappointed with it for what it is not. Flip a coin!

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Hate to threadjack. Sorry everybody. Did you work at Munro & Associates? They specialize in competitive benchmarking, costing and teardowns. Nerding out. Sorry.
No worries. My competitive analysis days were at the Delco Electronics division of General Motors (before Delco Electronics became a part of Delphi Automotive). The guys in Detroit would buy a competitor's vehicle then disassemble it and ship the electronic modules out to GM's component divisions for further tear down and cost estimating.

Reactions: loby and 69Mustang

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Hmmmm... prefers tube amplifiers to discrete amps. Truly a heretic: Burn him.

Not sure my old ears could still hear the difference between an above average discrete amp and a comparable tube amp. Not saying that there isn’t a difference just that my hearing isn’t what it use to be.

Me either, but what I have found is that I still tire from listening to too much digital (anything through a less than perfect DAC). At first I think wow this digital sounds good, then after about 30 minutes I start noticing things and, in addition, I get irritable, then I go down to the listening room and realize that I can relax for hours listening to good music with the right equipment.

And good music does not mean old stuff, so it can be anything but old country music. And I'm ok with well done Class A or AB solid state amps. Can't do Class D. Personally I do like tube amps because they color the sound in a way that I have a lot of experience listening to. But a good, top end, solid state system is good also.

Don't have the money for Audiophile equipment, but thank goodness you don't need to spend that extra money for a good listening experience.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
We're definitely down into the weeds of differing opinions.

I agree that the whole outsider thing is over. You can't have 1 billion devices in active use and be an outsider. I never cared about that aspect of Apple culture, so I don't miss it. For those who do miss it, I can sympathize, there are things from my past that I miss very much, too, when I choose to dwell upon them. Most of the time, I just have to let them go.

My problem with the "no innovation" argument is that innovation tends to be in the eyes of the beholder. One person's "Wow!" is another's "Ho hum." Around here, it seems that if a person doesn't care about a particular innovation, then it simply doesn't count.

I'm currently listening to my HomePod, and am impressed with what it is. Others are disappointed with it for what it is not. Flip a coin!

I agree. In recent years I have adapted my attitude to use what works regardless of brand. Used to have everything Apple including my router, watch, and all the usual stuff. I have found I like the Garmin Fenix 3 better as a watch, and use an ASUS router and a NAS to do time machine backups. All the rest of my stuff is Apple.

Never know what the future has in store. Most times I only pipe up in the forums when I read someone gushing about the new end all be all Apple product that is so much better then anything else. Can't help but play devils' advocate.

Enjoy your HomePod.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Me either, but what I have found is that I still tire from listening to too much digital (anything through a less than perfect DAC). At first I think wow this digital sounds good, then after about 30 minutes I start noticing things and, in addition, I get irritable, then I go down to the listening room and realize that I can relax for hours listening to good music with the right equipment.

And good music does not mean old stuff, so it can be anything but old country music. And I'm ok with well done Class A or AB solid state amps. Can't do Class D. Personally I do like tube amps because they color the sound in a way that I have a lot of experience listening to. But a good, top end, solid state system is good also.

Don't have the money for Audiophile equipment, but thank goodness you don't need to spend that extra money for a good listening experience.

Looking at getting a tube amp for my basement entertainment room. Not an infinite amount of money to spend but a decent amount. I have several turntables and some older Klipsch speakers I can get by with.

I was looking to buy a HomePod but most of what I want to play through it would have come from a turntable. Streaming only killed my enthusiasm for the device. A lot of my music is now on a hard drive, but not all of it. And I now have a bunch of 78’s. I’m looking to expand my music source ability, not contract it.

Reactions: nt5672

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
There’s a huge difference between BOM cost and COGS.

iPhone 8 BOM est. $250, sells for $700. iPhone X BOM est. $360, sells for $1,000. With a BOM est. at $215, the HomePod is probably losing money at the bottom line.

The point being, the BOM numbers are of very little value. Apple sells no loss leader products. That should be your first clue to the bogosiity of these numbers.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
If thats the case, it makes me think they made it just to have their hat in the game. They really are missing the boat on so many fronts. The arrive late to the smart speaker party, invest in something above and beyond to make something superior, charge a lot more, and think they will corner the market. They very well may considering the fan base, but really it's more a game of catch up. How long can they sustain this business model?

This is true. Additionally, it is worth noting that Apple has been late-to-market with everything that has made them their fortune.

iPod, iPhone, Apple Watch - these categories existed in the marketplace for years before Apple stepped in. They just sucked BA (before Apple).

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I highly doubt it costs that much. Apple would be losing money on every one sold, taking overhead, warranty and retailer margin into account.

If it really sounds as good as a high quality set of bookshelf speakers it's totally worth it.

I'm actually surprised it ONLY costs that much. All the evidence points to Apple using very custom drivers (the sound making parts of the speaker) and amplifiers—eight of them!—so their per unit cost may be lower but they must have invested in quite a bit upfront to fabricate those.

Love it or hate it, the HomePod is the most technologically bold products Apple has released since the iPhone. [note: I'm not saying most popular, or even most polished, rather Apple incorporated a unique blend of technologies to create a device that challenges our assumptions and expectations of an everyday device—the home speaker]

Reactions: jeffreyg

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I agree. In recent years I have adapted my attitude to use what works regardless of brand. Used to have everything Apple including my router, watch, and all the usual stuff. I have found I like the Garmin Fenix 3 better as a watch, and use an ASUS router and a NAS to do time machine backups. All the rest of my stuff is Apple.

Never know what the future has in store. Most times I only pipe up in the forums when I read someone gushing about the new end all be all Apple product that is so much better then anything else. Can't help but play devils' advocate.

Enjoy your HomePod.

Yes, some come to the forums to relax and read nonsense chatter from those who believe they know what they are talking about...

Of course I will include myself in that equation of nonsense chatter to be fair... :)

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
This is true. Additionally, it is worth noting that Apple has been late-to-market with everything that has made them their fortune.

iPod, iPhone, Apple Watch - these categories existed in the marketplace for years before Apple stepped in. They just sucked BA (before Apple).

I dont know. I think the iPhone was the first of it's kind. I don't remember an icon touch screen phone before the iPhone. Correct me if I am wrong.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I dont know. I think the iPhone was the first of it's kind. I don't remember an icon touch screen phone before the iPhone. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think you're right. I believe Apple had the first multitouch display in a phone. However, I don't view this as a new product category. Just a huge leap forward in an existing category.

Reactions: bopajuice

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The HomePod is reasonably priced IMO. All that technology in one small package. I think we're going to see a trend of cheaper stuff from Apple if the HomePod becomes a hit...of course this is still wishful thinking at this point.

I think when subscriptions get boosted with HomePod we may see a limited edition Product(Red) version and potentially in limited colours.

But honestly I think we’ll see a TV Bar and larger set of speakers to be launched at comparatively reasonable pricing for the performance they deliver.

I love the idea of the Sonos PlayBar yet it’s far too expensive.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I call BS...big time...if it cost 216 apple would be selling it for 700 or more, at least
And this is not even counting R&D!

But no, its logical. Because it sells Apple Music subscription and is opening a market for them.

As I said a little higher, Logic Pro is 200 bucks and offers way more than competition, but it sells macs.

They're not stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.