Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
What would be the point of a 4K front facing camera? So you can watch "video selfies" in portrait mode on a 4k tv with those beautiful, gigantic black bars on the sides?

Makes sense in a way. The front camera may need as much resolution as it can get if the rumor that the iPhone 8 dropping Touch ID in favor of facial recognition is true.

Last edited:

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
This would be wonderful, I have really been missing this. Having been shooting in 4k since it became an option, but I have thought many times about turning it off because panning in any video I take is soooooooo hard to watch on a tv or monitor later. I was honestly surprised it didn’t happen last year. Another reason I will be getting the 512gig phone..::

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
What would be the point of a 4K front facing camera? So you can watch "video selfies" in portrait mode on a 4k tv with those beautiful, gigantic black bars on the sides?

Or does this mean the iPhone 8 screen will have 4k resolution???

Kidding.

Facial recognition will be relying primarily on the front camera (CIS). High resolution is very helpful.

The supplementary IR transmitter on the front enables more reliable facial recognition. Skin has a special spectral signature which absorbs or disperses IR wavelengths.

People that think they can defeat the OLED iPhone using a photograph or 3D printed mask will be disappointed.

Reactions: EdBuk

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Facial recognition will be relying primarily on the front camera (CIS). High resolution is very helpful.

The IR transmitter on the front enables more reliable facial recognition. Skin has a special spectral signature which absorbs or disperses IR wavelengths. People that think they can defeat the OLED iPhone using a photograph or 3D printed mask will be disappointed.
Ahh I didn't even consider facial recognition- which is silly because that's the biggest leak right now. Very curious to see what it's all about come September

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This means we'll probably get 240fps 1080p slow-mo and 480fps 720p slow-mo!

Thank goodness iOS 11 supports H.265/HEVC. Also glad they doubled my iCloud storage to 2TB and I can share it with my wife now! I hope that since I use iCloud photo storage they can re-encode my videos to take up less space! Would be great if they could convert the JPGs to HEIF too. I've been shooting 4K since iPhone 6s and will definitely move to 60fps 4K once available. I always want to shoot at the highest resolution possible because I have young children and want these videos for the archives. I used to shoot 1080p 60fps on my older devices, which would sometimes result in a darker video, so hopefully they can also work on improving the low-light high ISO performance of this iPhone so it's not as dim at 60fps.

This thing is going to be expensive.

Saipher

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
California
I'm not complaining but thanks to HomePod firmware leaks, I feel like I already know 50% of Apple's September keynote.
o_O
[doublepost=1501798907][/doublepost]
Ok, great, now how about an Apple TV that can display 4K? iPhones have been recording 4K for how long now? And no way to display those recordings on your TV!

There is a rumor that Apple is releasing a 4K HDR Apple TV soon...

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/28/apple-listing-select-itunes-movies-as-4k-hdr/

Hopefully in September! :)

Reactions: 5105973

Brian Clifford

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2016
Once upon a time you developed film in Dark Rooms to see the whole picture. Now developers read code in Dark Rooms to see the whole picture. :p #Podgate

darkroom.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973 and CarlJ

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Hmmm, what I found most interesting in the hompod leak was the support for an iPhone with a 6.5inch screen. Surprised no one here is talking about that. :eek:

It was a single reference to 6.5-inch. In other parts of the code, the new iPhone is referred to as "D22" and "2017 iPhone."

I wouldn't be surprised if the iOS dev team was given incomplete or misleading information about the OLED iPhone. Apple separates the hardware and software teams to maintain secrecy. The display resolution and aspect ratio information in the code is correct and that's what matters.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
This is perfect. HomePod and new iPhone marketing all in one. I'm sure Apple is happy. These leaks are only drumming up more hype and interest.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Wow... How did this happen? It's almost impossible to fathom that a firmware release for a speaker that isn't even shipping holds this much information about a device Apple clearly intended to shake up the market. So far it looks like mostly good news (not sure I'm keen on replacing touch ID though)-- but if these specs turn out wrong it's going to really be damaging...

I'm just imagining some new hire hitting the "release" button and suddenly realizing they forgot to run the script that scrubs the image-- then comforting themselves that it's just the Homepod firmware and nobody's going to look at it too carefully...

Reactions: midkay

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
This is perfect. HomePod and new iPhone marketing all in one. I'm sure Apple is happy. These leaks are only drumming up more hype and interest.

Doubt it. Because that theory makes no sense.

There's been a pause in iPhone 7 sales since April and Tim Cook has admitted future iPhone rumors are to blame.

Apple doesn't need OLED hype now. They can hype it after launch and manufacturing is fully ramped. It's the same as Elon Musk anti-selling the Model 3. There's no point in killing Model S sales.

Reactions: NightFox

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Looks like a GoFundMe page is in order for the new iPhone 8. :cool:

Come on fellow forum members... help a guy out. If you can't (or won't) contribute to my new purchase, at least promise to stay off the Apple store app at 3:30am est. so that I can order one. :mad:

Recording at 60hz is definitely a smile maker.

T-minus 35 - 36 days until the reveal (give or take).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.