Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
You don't happen to know next week's lottery numbers, do you? ;)
Reviews already say LOL stuff like "close your eyes and you're at a live concert. I DO know the average Joe has no knowledge of good auido.

Most people watch movies with the TV speakers or a $99 soundbar they got at Best Buy or Walmart and think it's a "Home Theater" experience.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
According to 9to5Mac the Homepod does not support Home Sharing so it won’t play most of my iTunes library (only Apple purchases). That is a major obstacle for me.
Yeah, that’s kind of bonkers. Also doesn’t support the Apple service where you can access your own library on your devices by uploading it to Apple (I forget the name).

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Wow, talk about overpriced for what it does... which isn't much. Sounds like it's been gimp'ed as usual.

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
BUT - the Homepod is unaware of any music in your Mac iTunes library that was not purchased via Apple
Yes, that is true, but I think of it first and foremost as a bluetooth speaker. It WILL stream any audio from your phone or any other bluetooth enabled device that is within range. It doesn't need to be aware of your other music to do that. Any feature other than that is a bonus feature to me. The fact that it can play Apple Music without any other device nearby is awesome, but is not the selling point for me.

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
According to 9to5Mac the Homepod does not support Home Sharing so it won’t play most of my iTunes library (only Apple purchases). That is a major obstacle for me.
That’s not an issue. I have my library on a Mac Mini in my home office. Using the Remote App on my phone, I can access the library, then once a song is playing use the AirPlay option in the Remote app to fire to a speaker - this should be doable with a HomePod.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I didn't try to interpret anything, I was just pointing out a post I'd seen that discussed the price point.

I really doubt a $350 product will sound like a $40k product. Unless the latter is a true scam.
Direct quote:

I've already seen a guy write that this speaker is better than a $40K one.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yes, that is true, but I think of it first and foremost as a bluetooth speaker. It WILL stream any audio from your phone or any other bluetooth enabled device that is within range. It doesn't need to be aware of your other music to do that. Any feature other than that is a bonus feature to me. The fact that it can play Apple Music without any other device nearby is awesome, but is not the selling point for me.
Are you sure? I’ve seen reports that airplay works but that they weren’t sure if you could use it as a regular Bluetooth device.

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Are you sure? I’ve seen reports that airplay works but that they weren’t sure if you could use it as a regular Bluetooth device.
Maybe I spoke too soon. I am now also seeing reports that it may not be compatible with other bluetooth devices. I assume this would be a deal-breaker for some, and I can't imagine why Apple would cut out all Android and Windows users as potential customers, so based on that I'm still hopeful it will work with any bluetooth enabled device, but now I guess we will just have to wait and see.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have to admit after thinking this over as great as I think the homepod is going to be I’m trying to fiqure out if I truly need it or not. I live in a small house where walls I imagine are pretty thin and as somebody who likes to play music through headphones I’m trying to fiqure out if I really need the homepod. As I would more than likely play more podcasts than music. I wanted it as well for the homekit but that still works fine saying it via siri on my phone or ipad anyway. So I’m trying to think if I should just keep that £319 in my savings for when I might need it personally.

That’s not to say the homepod won’t have amazing sound but thinking with the house I have I won’t make good enough use out of it.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I have to admit after thinking this over as great as I think the homepod is going to be I’m trying to fiqure out if I truly need it or not. I live in a small house where walls I imagine are pretty thin and as somebody who likes to play music through headphones I’m trying to fiqure out if I really need the homepod. As I would more than likely play more podcasts than music. I wanted it as well for the homekit but that still works fine saying it via siri on my phone or ipad anyway. So I’m trying to think if I should just keep that £319 in my savings for when I might need it personally.

That’s not to say the homepod won’t have amazing sound but thinking with the house I have I won’t make good enough use out of it.
You don't have to make a snap decision about buying it, there seems to be plenty of stock availability. It might be worth waiting for the real reviews and the opportunity to demo it in store before making your mind up.

Reactions: AppleScruff1

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You don't have to make a snap decision about buying it, there seems to be plenty of stock availability. It might be worth waiting for the real reviews and the opportunity to demo it in store before making your mind up.
well my plan was to get it and see how I felt about it and return it before the 14 days if I don't like it or have a need for it. So not sure if to cancel it or just get it and give it within the return policy.

Pacman72

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2017
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I was really hoping that you could stream the audio from your Apple TV like you can with the air pods I don't really have a need for all the other bells and whistles that come with it.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
well my plan was to get it and see how I felt about it and return it before the 14 days if I don't like it or have a need for it. So not sure if to cancel it or just get it and give it within the return policy.
I opted for getting it with Apple Care+, to try and see. If it doesn't live up to my expectations, or I find that I barely use it, it goes back.
I bought my AirPods like that, and never returned them. This time around I am not 100% sure, but I am open to be pleasantly surprised.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I opted for getting it with Apple Care+, to try and see. If it doesn't live up to my expectations, or I find that I barely use it, it goes back.
I bought my AirPods like that, and never returned them. This time around I am not 100% sure, but I am open to be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah I’ve decided this is what I will do. Might as well try it out for myself first. I think for when cooking will be nice to have the podcast option and to make calls via my iPhone. Will see how it is...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Thanks mate. Goes to show I really need to start reading the fine print on these tech specs

1. Peer-to-peer AirPlay requires a Mac (2012 or later) with OS X Yosemite or later, or an iOS device (late 2012 or later) with iOS 8 or later.

Perhaps that's why their fine-print... easy to miss..... One needs a magnifying glass just to see them.
.. Alternatively just come to MR :)

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Ordered one for in-store pickup with mixed payment from a gift card and a credit card.

But I want to cancel it and the website is not letting me do so. Why not? (It's insisting I call. Why should I have to if there's a "cancel items" option right there? It's bad customer experience if you have a cancel feature that doesn't work.)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ordered one for in-store pickup with mixed payment from a gift card and a credit card.

But I want to cancel it and the website is not letting me do so. Why not? (It's insisting I call. Why should I have to if there's a "cancel items" option right there? It's bad customer experience if you have a cancel feature that doesn't work.)
that seems odd as cancelling is normally very quick and easy process. Maybe go on the apple chat? might be the quickest system

iPhonefan200

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2016
I tell you what PROVE me wrong. I'd be overjoyed to hear I could tell HomePod to play something via my Mac, not Apple Music. Please prove me wrong. Otherwise I'm going to go with what Apple and known Apple reviewers are saying which is what I'm repeating: Siri only works with Apple Music.

Again, put your money where your mouth is and show me a review where Siri played music from a Mac or iDevice. Otherwise you have nothing but your own imagination. Why would Apple want say it "only works with Apple Music," if saying that would reduce sales of HomePod? No, Apple wants to sell as many HomePods as possible and you don't do that by announcing before hand specific limitations that don't exist.

Hello,

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...upported-audio-sources-in-tech-specs.2103997/

This has now been confirmed by Apple, so you can have peace of mind knowing this will now work. Hopefully now you can get that HomePod and enjoy it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.