Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hello Folks,
I'm quite new to this subject hence I'd like to have your advice on my subject.
I want to buy HomePod. I am not interested to use Apple Music. I'm going to use it to stream Radio Station broadcasting from my favorite player TuneIn and I was thinking how else I could utilize HomePod.
I have Smart LG TV. I want to stream TV audio to HomePod.
My goal: I expect that quality should be way better than TV speakers. Is my assumption valid/correct?
I think the only way to do is to buy Apple TV. Then I'll connect TV to Apple TV using HDMI and provide in Apple TV setting to route audio output to HomePod.
What do you think?
Is it reasonable scenario?
Thanks for any advice ..

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I have used my HomePod a few times to stream content from my Apple TV such as Netflix, Infuse, and DirecTV Now. All have worked flawlessly. If your goal is to use the HomePod with, say, cable.. you’re out of luck.

Be forewarned, the volume from the AppleTV over AirPlay is a bit quiet, which may change in a future update. I still find it plenty loud for my living room. YMMV on that part.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
I have used my HomePod a few times to stream content from my Apple TV such as Netflix, Infuse, and DirecTV Now. All have worked flawlessly. If your goal is to use the HomePod with, say, cable.. you’re out of luck.

Be forewarned, the volume from the AppleTV over AirPlay is a bit quiet, which may change in a future update. I still find it plenty loud for my living room. YMMV on that part.
Thanks for reply. I am still a little bit confused what you meant by 'use HomePod' with cable.
And one question than ... Could you please explain the workflow : I mean how it works? Where Apple TV is in this flow? Signal goes from Smart TV to Apple TV or other way around? How will I control my smart TV afterwards? Using Apple TV Remote or Apple TV Remote ?
Thanks

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Thanks for reply. I am still a little bit confused what you meant by 'use HomePod' with cable.
And one question than ... Could you please explain the workflow : I mean how it works? Where Apple TV is in this flow? Signal goes from Smart TV to Apple TV or other way around? How will I control my smart TV afterwards? Using Apple TV Remote or Apple TV Remote ?
Thanks

The HomePod only works as an AirPlay speaker. So in this situation it will only play the sound coming from the AppleTV. Your LG will only be used as a display. You will not need to control it at all.

The tv will get everything from the Apple TV. Think of the Apple TV as your cable box (so to speak).

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I would be interested in possibly using a HomePod like my echo tap. I can just simply say Alexa open Netflix. Alexa pause movie etc. Alexa open Hulu.Can you do that with the HomePod? Just walk around and say hey Siri and speak a command?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Hello Folks,
I'm quite new to this subject hence I'd like to have your advice on my subject.
I want to buy HomePod. I am not interested to use Apple Music. I'm going to use it to stream Radio Station broadcasting from my favorite player TuneIn and I was thinking how else I could utilize HomePod.
I have Smart LG TV. I want to stream TV audio to HomePod.
My goal: I expect that quality should be way better than TV speakers. Is my assumption valid/correct?
I think the only way to do is to buy Apple TV. Then I'll connect TV to Apple TV using HDMI and provide in Apple TV setting to route audio output to HomePod.
What do you think?
Is it reasonable scenario?
Thanks for any advice ..
I would look at another solution to achieve your requirements. There is no benefit at all in using a HomePod for what you want.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I would be interested in possibly using a HomePod like my echo tap. I can just simply say Alexa open Netflix. Alexa pause movie etc. Alexa open Hulu.Can you do that with the HomePod? Just walk around and say hey Siri and speak a command?

At the moment the HomePod doesn’t directly control the Apple TV. God knows why, it was the second thing I tried after listening to some music.
But my Harmony Hub is hooked into HomeKit, so I can get the HomePod to control the Apple TV via that for now. But I will be sending feature requests for Apple TV control because I’m just that damn lazy :D

Reactions: lsutigerfan1976
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.