Honestly, what do you want in a new design?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Everyone here is clamoring for a new design in the next iPhone.

What I am specifically asking for is, besides being novel with being "new", how could the iPhone be objectively better with a redesign.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
The Plus could be a bit lighter imo and less bezel at the top and the bottom.
Being lighter and having less bezel is going to be a common answer, so say if Apple came out with an iPhone with an identical design, but less bezel and lighter, would you be happy?

itsmilo

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Maybe they could go back to glass on the back but i suppose that would make it even heavier. Dont see how they can change much on the front besides reducing the bezel.

Additional colors for the back + glass may look cool.

I just hope it does not have slftware buttons or have them at least fade in and out when not in use. They waste so much screen space on my work phone

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Being lighter and having less bezel is going to be a common answer, so say if Apple came out with an iPhone with an identical design, but less bezel and lighter, would you be happy?
Aside from the aluminum model, perhaps a stainless or Ceramic model. Edge to edge display with an integrated home button would be a fairly significant change.

Perhaps in future iPhones, touch capacitive buttons and deleting any external hardware buttons.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Everything that the new iPhone is rumoured to have:

OLED screen
Slimmed down bezels/edge to edge display
Touch ID integrated into the display
Glass back

But I want a 5.7 inch plus screen not the 5.1 inches which is rumoured.

Also Apple Pencil support would be good.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I want it not to cost $1000 plus for the base model of the phone that offers all the newer features (oled screen, etc).

The S8 will match the iPhone on every area except processor power (most likely; but not necessary either. The iPhone does a lot of processing on the phone that google leverages the cloud for), and OS (personal preference).

I'm super ingrained in the Apple ecosystem at the moment. But I also will only spend so much for Apple to maintain their margins

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
So far, the rumors look good. But a $1000 starting price is a deal breaker. That would easily be $1300-1500 in Canada, which is ridiculous for a phone IMO. If that's the case, I'll probably stick with my 6+ and possibly even look outside Apple.

I'm not sure if I would actually use Apple Pencil support, it seems a little much for a phone. Plus that's another $130 CAD to actually take advantage of it

DhobiWanKenobi

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2017
Personally I'd like to see a squarer design like the 4-5s, for me it was more comfortable and I think the design still looks fantastic today. I'd also like to see a flush camera, even if it meant increasing the thickness of the device slightly. Finally I'd love to see smaller bezels, like everyone else, to really soak up that screen.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Aside from the aluminum model, perhaps a stainless or Ceramic model. Edge to edge display with an integrated home button would be a fairly significant change.

Perhaps in future iPhones, touch capacitive buttons and deleting any external hardware buttons.
Stainless steel with edge to edge display will be a killer model for sure

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
I want to be able to use my phone naked again... so:

- square up the edges
- get rid of the aluminum (too slippery)
- minimize the chin and forehead
- add some thickness (which will give extra battery)

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Everyone here is clamoring for a new design in the next iPhone.

What I am specifically asking for is, besides being novel with being "new", how could the iPhone be objectively better with a redesign.
A redesign would for me get rid of the fugly camera bumps. They should be flush.

Honestly, I'd be ok with the current 6 series design if the camera bulge was flush. Apple redid the antenna lines with the 7/7+ so I can't complain about that anymore (except on my 6s+) but that one improvement would be the least I'd like to see.
[doublepost=1488642603][/doublepost]
With the 140 billion in cash that Apple has, I want them to give me a design better than anything I can think of.
I can agree with this if we caveat it to state nothing that Apple thinks that we all should believe is better that really isn't.

Reactions: BenTrovato

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
All I want is a smaller bezel. It's an objective fact that other phones are achieving a higher display to total surface area ratio than the iPhone. I'd be happy with just about any design that allows for a 5" display or larger without being significantly larger than the current non-plus phones.
[doublepost=1488643803][/doublepost]
I want to be able to use my phone naked again... so:

- square up the edges
- get rid of the aluminum (too slippery)
- minimize the chin and forehead
- add some thickness (which will give extra battery)
I don't see how the current design prevents you from using your phone while naked... public nudity laws might be the real hindrance. :p

Reactions: Peter K.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Flush camera due to thicker phone. More battery, better image sensors and optics.

And a Touch bar with TouchID covering the whole lower part of the front. Screen going the whole front except maybe 2-3 mm for the front camera.

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
All I want is a smaller bezel. It's an objective fact that other phones are achieving a higher display to total surface area ratio than the iPhone. I'd be happy with just about any design that allows for a 5" display or larger without being significantly larger than the current non-plus phones.
[doublepost=1488643803][/doublepost]

I don't see how the current design prevents you from using your phone while naked... public nudity laws might be the real hindrance. :p
too thin and the material used is too slippery, the rounded corners dont help.

blairh

macrumors 68040
Dec 11, 2007
Zero bezel, a backplate that is easy to grip (like the Nexus 5), even louder stereo speakers. 3 screen choices, 5", 5.8", 6.6".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.