Honestly, what do you want in a new design?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSE, Mar 4, 2017.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Everyone here is clamoring for a new design in the next iPhone.

What I am specifically asking for is, besides being novel with being "new", how could the iPhone be objectively better with a redesign.

2. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

The Plus could be a bit lighter imo and less bezel at the top and the bottom.

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Being lighter and having less bezel is going to be a common answer, so say if Apple came out with an iPhone with an identical design, but less bezel and lighter, would you be happy?

4. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

Maybe they could go back to glass on the back but i suppose that would make it even heavier. Dont see how they can change much on the front besides reducing the bezel.

Additional colors for the back + glass may look cool.

I just hope it does not have slftware buttons or have them at least fade in and out when not in use. They waste so much screen space on my work phone

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Aside from the aluminum model, perhaps a stainless or Ceramic model. Edge to edge display with an integrated home button would be a fairly significant change.

Perhaps in future iPhones, touch capacitive buttons and deleting any external hardware buttons.

6. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I want only one thing - a pro version to be able to use the Pencil. I truly believe it will be a feature this fall.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Everything that the new iPhone is rumoured to have:

OLED screen
    Slimmed down bezels/edge to edge display
    Touch ID integrated into the display
    Glass back

But I want a 5.7 inch plus screen not the 5.1 inches which is rumoured.

Also Apple Pencil support would be good.

8. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I want it not to cost $1000 plus for the base model of the phone that offers all the newer features (oled screen, etc).

The S8 will match the iPhone on every area except processor power (most likely; but not necessary either. The iPhone does a lot of processing on the phone that google leverages the cloud for), and OS (personal preference).

I'm super ingrained in the Apple ecosystem at the moment. But I also will only spend so much for Apple to maintain their margins

9. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

So far, the rumors look good. But a $1000 starting price is a deal breaker. That would easily be $1300-1500 in Canada, which is ridiculous for a phone IMO. If that's the case, I'll probably stick with my 6+ and possibly even look outside Apple.

I'm not sure if I would actually use Apple Pencil support, it seems a little much for a phone. Plus that's another $130 CAD to actually take advantage of it

10. DhobiWanKenobi macrumors member

DhobiWanKenobi

Personally I'd like to see a squarer design like the 4-5s, for me it was more comfortable and I think the design still looks fantastic today. I'd also like to see a flush camera, even if it meant increasing the thickness of the device slightly. Finally I'd love to see smaller bezels, like everyone else, to really soak up that screen.

11. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Stainless steel frame, ceramic back. Wireless charging, 2k Amoled screen.

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

With the 140 billion in cash that Apple has, I want them to give me a design better than anything I can think of.

13. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Stainless steel with edge to edge display will be a killer model for sure

14. foxconn Suspended

I want to be able to use my phone naked again... so:

- square up the edges
    - get rid of the aluminum (too slippery)
    - minimize the chin and forehead
    - add some thickness (which will give extra battery)

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

A redesign would for me get rid of the fugly camera bumps. They should be flush.

Honestly, I'd be ok with the current 6 series design if the camera bulge was flush. Apple redid the antenna lines with the 7/7+ so I can't complain about that anymore (except on my 6s+) but that one improvement would be the least I'd like to see.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2017 ---
    I can agree with this if we caveat it to state nothing that Apple thinks that we all should believe is better that really isn't.

16. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Lesser bezels for sure, but nothing would beat a new blue color, at least for me.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

All I want is a smaller bezel. It's an objective fact that other phones are achieving a higher display to total surface area ratio than the iPhone. I'd be happy with just about any design that allows for a 5" display or larger without being significantly larger than the current non-plus phones.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2017 ---
    I don't see how the current design prevents you from using your phone while naked... public nudity laws might be the real hindrance. :p

18. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Flush camera due to thicker phone. More battery, better image sensors and optics.

And a Touch bar with TouchID covering the whole lower part of the front. Screen going the whole front except maybe 2-3 mm for the front camera.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I want it to be magical.
    To make me instantly whip out my wallet and take out my credit card to preorder it when I first see it:D

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not if you're female in New York City.

21. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

add in - headphone jack and wifi/BT that works consistently and works well

22. foxconn Suspended

too thin and the material used is too slippery, the rounded corners dont help.

23. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Maybe you missed my joke... :D

24. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

I would drop some serious coin on a ceramic backed iPhone.

25. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Zero bezel, a backplate that is easy to grip (like the Nexus 5), even louder stereo speakers. 3 screen choices, 5", 5.8", 6.6".