Hopeless with screen protectors

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by reclusive46, May 7, 2012.

1. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Am I the only one hopeless at putting on screen protectors on iPhones? I always seem to end up with loads of dust underneath. Ie. Bubbles. I managed to do a back protector film ok (Still a few bubbles but don't really care on the back).

No matter how I try it, it never works.

Also what are the screen protectors actually made of? The screen protectors seem to scratch quite easily themselves (You can see them under light) but they do a great job of stopping the phone getting scratched.

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

mine only usually last about 4 months until corners start to form dust and they eventually come up...no matter how good i put it on

3. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

It does suck when you get one or two dust particles right in a noticeable spot. Especially when you put them on for other people.

For the most part though I tried to order the wet apply skins now, I think i have had maybe 1 out of 10 have dust under the screen when done.

As far as dry install, the ones that come with the sticky paper is the best solution. With those you should never have any dust on the screen afterwards.

I settled on XO Skins though now as my main and what i recommend

4. cynics macrumors G4

Before I got a case with an integrated screen protector I'd buy cheap ones from amazon. I'd literally buy 20 at a time expecting to waste a few from screw ups.

I'm not happy unless they are absolutely perfect. :)

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

use the shower method of running a shower prior to doing it (the moisture in the air gathers and drops the dust from the air). Then, just use scotch tape to pull up the protector and then also to remove any dust. It's super-easy on a small iphone (harder on an iPad).

I sucked at it the first 5-10 times (getting lucky a few times) but now I'm pretty good at it.

6. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Where do you guys normally get screen protectors from? I don't really want to get an expensive one if I'm just going to screw it up.

7. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

What brand? My Power Support looks brand new a year later. My wife's cheap-o (3 for $11.99) looks like complete crap just 6 months later.

Also, you will probably ALWAYS get bubbles or dust under the screen the first time you apply it. I usually don't even worry about it until I get it lined up on the phone perfectly. Once it's lined up, I peel up from the corners with a piece of tape, careful not to miss align the film then use another piece of tape to remove dust/lint. If I find a corner or spot that doesn't "stick" as well and makes a bubble that won't go away after using the rubber squeegee then it's most likely finger oil. I use another piece of tape to lift off the oil from the bottom of the film. You can effectively remove ALL bubbles and ALL dust with this method. All of my iphones and my ipad are bubble and dust free.

SGP or Powersupport. The best I've seen. Cheaper ones either have a weird rainbow effect or start to peel prematurely. I've had Power Support on an iphone for a year with no signs of scratches or peeling. It's very hard to screw up a film unless you actually bend it enough to put a crease on them. The good ones use static, not glue, to cling to the surface. Any mistakes can be cured with some tape to lift oil or dust from between the screen and the film.

8. iBrickedMyPsp macrumors member

iBrickedMyPsp

Make sure you clean screen always before putting one on and if it makes you feel safe put on latex gloves lol. Line the bottom part up with the home button then use a credit card to flatten out everything so it works smoothly

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Hit one of those kiosks at the mall. I could never do them myself (and actually don't use one anymore). When I did use them, the kiosk one lasted a while.

10. iBrickedMyPsp macrumors member

iBrickedMyPsp

I got mine eBay. 3 for like a penny. Won a bidding lol

11. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

My 4s is the only iPhone I've ever used one with. Bought it at AT&T upon activation of my wife's phone. The girl that put it on made a joke that she feels it's her calling as she does such a great job. It is as both of our phones are still 110% perfect. ZERO bubbles, dust or edge issues.

12. Ryno76 macrumors member

Didn't use any on my previous 3 phones but with the 4s I decided that I should. I got the Belkin "clear" screen protectors (don't remember how much they were, sorry...but i got them at target). It works well and I didn't have any problems with putting it on. Been on there since the 1st of the year, no dust collection anywhere. Just have to make sure you clean the phone off really well and hold the protector by the edges....i know, easier said than done....Good Luck!

13. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

14. It'sMyPrecious macrumors regular

The #1 trick to getting rid of dust under screen protectors is to use TAPE! Yep, clear scotch tape or clear packing tape. It can easily remove whatever pieces of dust that gathers underneath the screen protector.

I've tried applying a wet screen protector and I got dust underneath which I couldn't remove with a simple piece of tape. From that moment, I vowed I'd only use dry static screen protectors.

15. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

1. Please don't do this after a shower. The steam can trip the water sensors.

2. Like the poster above, use tape! Use one piece to lift it up and use another piece to remove the speck of dust underneath.

16. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I couldn't put a screen protector on to save my life. I feel your pain. I genuinely suck at applying those things. I usually have a friend with steadier hands do it.

17. mpossoff macrumors 68020

That's why I get the reps at the AT&T corporate store to install my screen protectors.

18. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Firstly, if you buy a cheap screen protector you get cheap results.

I agree with one of the posters, go into the washroom, run the shower til you get a bit of moisture in the air, it doesn't have to be a steam bath.

Wipe the entire surrounding counter area with a damp cloth and have a CLEAN microfibre cloth with you to wipe the screen down, lightly blow across the screen before you start to apply the protector.

I have used this: http://www.spigen.com/ and the thing has been on my phone for 2 years and just this last year has it slowly started getting a bit marked up. Finger prints wipe off clean with microfibre cloth, and everyone who has looked at my phone couldn't tell by touch or sight initially that there is a screen protector on it.

Oh and I know it sounds kind of "fussy" but I also installed the screen protector shirtless so no lint from my clothes would hit the screen LOL! I did manage to get ONE small piece of dust that I couldn't remove with tape on the very far edge but since it is not on the viewable portion of the screen I havent really noticed it much.

It has never even started to peel or abrade despite being in my pockets for the past couple of years.

Hope this helps

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. You can always pay to have one installed.

Tried the shower trick?

Depends on the screen protector. Screen protectors are sacrificial parts. While it's generally preferable that they don't scratch easily they're intended to take the scratch rather than your screen. They're easily replaceable whereas the screen takes a bit more effort/cost.

SGP and Power Support. There are plenty of other good options mentioned in the countless prior screen protector threads which cover all the topics brought in in this thread. It's your job to figure out what seem to suit you best based on your specific needs/wants/budget.

The shower trick is used to knock dust out of the air. You don't need to apply the screen protector in a steamy room where condensation is an issue. You just need enough steam to reduce the dust. If you're tripping the moisture indicators then yer doin' it wrong. Same goes for wet application screen protectors. If you're tripping the moisture indicators then yer doin' it wrong.

If you're paranoid about condensation then make sure that the device isn't cold so moisture doesn't condense on it.

20. thinkadam macrumors regular

get the moshi one.
    Piece of plastic...cant make bubbles and can be removed to clean
    best one out there..

21. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I've tried countless times, and I have yet to get one perfect. I'm not buying these, they are usually the ones that come free with a case or something. What usually happens to me is that when you take the plastic off the screen protector, the static cling attracts the dust in the air. By the time I get it onto the phone a couple seconds later, its too late. Oh well, at least I give it an attempt.

22. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I had mine installed at the mall for me at the ghost-armor kiosk. I never trust myself, I have fat fingers and ADHD and just always mess it up, so I really enjoyed having someone else do it for me.

I noticed the kiosk in a mall in Orlando, and got home to Miami and checked and there was one locally and tried there, best 20 bucks I ever spent. Comes with warranty as well.

I just got an Ipad 3 and am tempted, but since I have a case, I been holding off....

23. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Do you have any evidence of this having happened? (just curious)

24. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Problem with those is their thickness/tendency to have the orange peel effect thing. They get wrinkly and dingy over time D: It's sad. Keep your iPad clean!! the glass + retina display look and feel best without something in between!

25. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

Power Support, amazing results, 6 month and still going strong.