Hopes for iTunes 5

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
what i REALLY want is the ability to 'double-tag' a single file.

that is to say to be able to have one file listed in 2 places in my library. For example, if a track appears on a film soundtrack that i already have on an album in my library i could just tell itunes to link both songs to the same file.

one for the neatness freaks and completists this one i think!

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
CD-Text

Automatically download album art into iTunes without third party software

More visualizers. Hopefully Apple would hire developers to make some kick ass visualizers. The best visualizers are for Winamp and I hear they hire their own developers just for visualizers.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Being able to import a CD as one file, but allow iTunes/iPod to insert track markers.. Would eliminate the stupid breaks between MP3 or AAC encoded songs, and finally allow me to listen to my Pink Floyd the way it was meant to. ;)

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
what ever they do they should be careful not to make it more bloated, it is the best music jukebox software around and should be kept that way!

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Little things like I wish the album art cover would change it the current playing song instead of staying on the original I picked. I hope the redo the iTunes widget so that it shows the artist, album and album cover. I would also like to use the widget to change the raking of the current song.
I can't really think of anything I need iTunes to do that it can't now.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
wwooden said:
Little things like I wish the album art cover would change it the current playing song instead of staying on the original I picked.
Just click the bar above the album art (which from 4.8 should be called "(->) Selected Song" by default) and you toggle between showing the selected song (if any) and the song "Now Playing". The function has always been there (at least for a while) but from 4.8 they added the arrow indicating that the bar is clickable....

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
zach said:
Being able to import a CD as one file, but allow iTunes/iPod to insert track markers.. Would eliminate the stupid breaks between MP3 or AAC encoded songs, and finally allow me to listen to my Pink Floyd the way it was meant to. ;)

Amen. 4 major version of iTunes and not one featuring gapless playback. Pretty absurd when the Rio Karma accomplishes this regardless of the format of the file...

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Thanks for pointing that out, but I realized it in the last 10 minutes since I posted. Guess that means iTunes does everything I need :).

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
MBHockey said:
Amen. 4 major version of iTunes and not one featuring gapless playback. Pretty absurd when the Rio Karma accomplishes this regardless of the format of the file...
well if you import concert cds (ie. Pearl Jam), you can "join cd tracks" (advanced:join cd tracks) and listen to the concert from beginning to end...

i hope this is what you meant.

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
redAPPLE said:
well if you import concert cds (ie. Pearl Jam), you can "join cd tracks" (advanced:join cd tracks) and listen to the concert from beginning to end...

i hope this is what you meant.
Think about that for a sec...

It will rip it as one long track consisting of all the songs on the album in that one track.

That's a terrible workaround.

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
MBHockey said:
Think about that for a sec...

It will rip it as one long track consisting of all the songs on the album in that one track.

That's a terrible workaround.
yeah i don't see why if we can choose track start/end times why the same can't be done to give seamless playback.

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
mostly because apple wants it to be kept "simple" for the huge crowd of iPod owners out there. Having to manually type in your start and stop times just isn't sleek enough, and you can bet that they don't add that feature until they can do it in a way that makes it "so easy, anyone could do it" . however, i agree that it would be nice as an underlying feature for those who don't mind such "hassle". damn, three sets of "" is just too much for one post..."later"

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
- add AltiVec acceleration to playback for <1% CPU usage on any G4
- update the interface. This one is more than 5 years old and is beginning to look dated. It also uses screen space inefficiently. Get rid of the Browse button and use column view like the finder or the iTMS
- make it skinnable like Audion (Apple would never do this, of course)
- give ability to rate whole albums in addition to individual songs. Maybe treat albums as albums instead of as just a bunch of songs that all have the same text in the album field. Display album covers next to albums in the list or something.
- add a progress bar to the mini player
- FLAC & Shorten playback

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
There are a few things I would like to see but I would really like to see aac plus as an encoding option. I know it's something small but my library is approaching 20 GB so smaller files with better or as good playback would be great. I also think that an integrated album art downloader would be great.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I actually want them to keep it the same, except remove the brushed metal and make it the plastic for Mac AND windows so Windows users can experience the beauty of a Mac vs. the ugly brushed metal thing.

Also, we need PLUGIN SUPPORT like in firefox!

Also, this will need a) creativity b) drugs to fully understand:

Have iTunes be able to have music shortcuts, that draw from a full list of music files. I have R.E.M.'s (for example) Automatic for the People CD, and In Time best of CD. I have multiple nightswimmings, sidewinder sleeps tonights, man on the moons, etc. I only want one.

Now, Apple effects time!

Have iTunes the way it is, but clicking a button will make iTunes "swish" around to the back of iTunes, where you see all these nuts and bolts and cranks and a little, transparent-like window between them that you can kind of see the Application under it as well as read songs in the list, and have a full list of songs "behind" iTunes that would show the original songs and right clicking/option clicking on the songs would show where its linked to as well as properties.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
The ability to sync with more devices other than the Ipod. No reason it shouldn't be able to sync with anything out there that acts like a drive. I know, I know, the Ipod is cool and all, but I simply refuse to spend $200 bucks for a mini with less features than my $79 MP3 player.

mcarvin

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Southern NJ
dotdotdot said:
Also, this will need a) creativity b) drugs to fully understand:

Have iTunes be able to have music shortcuts, that draw from a full list of music files. I have R.E.M.'s (for example) Automatic for the People CD, and In Time best of CD. I have multiple nightswimmings, sidewinder sleeps tonights, man on the moons, etc. I only want one.
Sorta like an advanced alias or sym link kind of thing. Nice.

KKKL

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Amoy
that is to say to be able to have one file listed in 2 places in my library. For example, if a track appears on a film soundtrack that i already have on an album in my library i could just tell itunes to link both songs to the same file.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Frisco said:
CD-Text

More visualizers. Hopefully Apple would hire developers to make some kick ass visualizers. The best visualizers are for Winamp and I hear they hire their own developers just for visualizers.

How soon until they go get video clips when playing

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
The ability to convert and replace.

For example you want to convert your entire library to 128 AAC (and you used to use 160 MP3 before there was AAC) but you have 100 playlists with tons of songs in them.

Also you have playcounts that number in the 100's for a bunch of your songs.

Now right now when you convert it creates a new track, that isn't in any playlist, and have a zero playcount. Now this makes sense to me, but it would be really cool if you could tell iTunes before you convert to replace the old files location in playlists and playcounts with the new ones.

Sound good?

I'd also like as others have said the ability to have a song linked to more than one album.

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
With me being a huge U2 fan, I have several singles, most of their albums, and both Best of CD's. Some songs I have 3 or four copies of! A multiple tag feature would be great!