Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleuser181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
Hey everyone,

I picked up an Apple Watch Series 6 from my local Apple Store on Friday but unfortunately I noticed something weird on top of the screen. There is a solid red line on top of the display where the screen and the display border meet and it's definitely noticeable especially when I'm outside and under direct sunlight. I did some research online and found the following links, they are basically the same exact issue but with S5:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251482840

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/foevgs
The link from Apple Discussions includes a picture and it's pretty much what I have on my watch. So I was wondering two things:

1. If this is normal and every Apple Watch has it (part of the design or something)
2. If it's not normal and there is in fact an issue, then what are my options? Should I return it and just get a new one or will Apple just exchange it with a new one if I take it back to the store?

Oh and my Apple Watch is a 40mm Aluminum S6 if that helps.
Thanks

Last edited:

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Hey everyone,

I picked up an Apple Watch Series 6 from my local Apple Store on Friday but unfortunately I noticed something weird on top of the screen. There is a solid red line on top of the display where the screen and the display border meet and it's definitely noticeable especially when I'm outside and under direct sunlight. I did some research online and found the following links, they are basically the same exact issue but with S5:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251482840

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/foevgs
The link from Apple Discussions includes a picture and it's pretty much what I have on my watch. So I was wondering two things:

1. If this is normal and every Apple Watch has it (part of the design or something)
2. If it's not normal and there is in fact an issue, then what are my options? Should I return it and just get a new one or will Apple just exchange it with a new one if I take it back to the store?

Oh and my Apple Watch is a 40mm Aluminum S6 if that helps.
Thanks

I would have first contacted Apple, or went first to an Apple store and get it exchanged, instead first taking the time posting it all overt the interwebzz for clicks :)

johnbourne

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
I had a look at my Series 6 and noticed this too, I have the Stainless Steel 44mm model.

I didn't notice it till I read your post then went looking for it which is a pain as I was blissfully unaware till that point, not sure if its the ribbon for the display as its more orange than red or it might be something like the ambient light sensor with the way it reflects light.

You have to have the light and watch at a certain angle to be able to see it and know what you are looking as its not obvious.

I guess I would need to see more samples and see the ones in store to compare with and see if its normal or an issue as if you call Apple they probably wont know and just replace it and the next one may be the same or have a new issue.

I upgraded from a Stainless Steel 44mm Series 4 and had a look at that and sure enough it also has it however it is much less noticeable.

I will probably go to an Apple Store at some point soon and compare to the store models and then get it looked at.

Reactions: appleuser181

appleuser181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
I had a look at my Series 6 and noticed this too, I have the Stainless Steel 44mm model.

I didn't notice it till I read your post then went looking for it which is a pain as I was blissfully unaware till that point, not sure if its the ribbon for the display as its more orange than red or it might be something like the ambient light sensor with the way it reflects light.

You have to have the light and watch at a certain angle to be able to see it and know what you are looking as its not obvious.

I guess I would need to see more samples and see the ones in store to compare with and see if its normal or an issue as if you call Apple they probably wont know and just replace it and the next one may be the same or have a new issue.

I upgraded from a Stainless Steel 44mm Series 4 and had a look at that and sure enough it also has it however it is much less noticeable.

I will probably go to an Apple Store at some point soon and compare to the store models and then get it looked at.

Thanks for your response. In this case I will probably pass by my local store first and have a look at the ones they have there. Please give us an update if you end up going to your local store before me, I will try to do the same.
Cheers!

trminek

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
I have the same problem on my apple watch 6. Do you know if other models have it?

appleuser181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
I have the same problem on my apple watch 6. Do you know if other models have it?
Pretty sure it's not a problem. I asked other people and they all have the same thing on their AW (series 6). It's mostly some sensors on top of the display panel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.