Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I'm surprised you are not glowing.....that's pretty close to a tower. You must be either right underneath it or able to see it out your window.

That aside, the reason why you get "searching...." is because it's looking for another tower for some reason and can't seem to find it and then bouncing back to the one that you are on. it's like it's saying that my neighbor is X and your phone thinks you are closer to X that doesn't exist than Y which is 500 feet away.

This points to faulty neighbor information in the cell towers on AT&T's side.

That's my thinking exactly, but something about the way the phone communicates with the towers changed with Spirit JB, cause going back to factory 3.1.3 works fine, no issues. The tower in question is both 800 and 1900 mhz (lol it's great having 5 bars but without bak haul in the network to support it it's worthless)... One thing I thing might be happening is my phone can't decide between 1900 or 850...

Would it be possible to reinstall the carrier file and see if that helps? Maybe it got corrupt?

tmuller

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
That's my thinking exactly, but something about the way the phone communicates with the towers changed with Spirit JB, cause going back to factory 3.1.3 works fine, no issues. The tower in question is both 800 and 1900 mhz (lol it's great having 5 bars but without bak haul in the network to support it it's worthless)... One thing I thing might be happening is my phone can't decide between 1900 or 850...

Would it be possible to reinstall the carrier file and see if that helps? Maybe it got corrupt?

Not sure on the carrier file. It shouldn't matter. The cell phone and hand over is handled transparent to the handset user. The cell phone tries to determine which tower is a better S/N ratio and use the strongest one. If it's on a different radio, it shouldn't matter, since AT&T should have told your 1900Mhz tower that the 850 tower is it's neighbor and the call should transparently hand over to the new radio frequency, BTS, BSC (maybe) and MSC (maybe). This could all happen in a grid where the only thing that changes is the BTS and the BSC and MSC stay the same. Not sure on their layout in your area, but it should be unnoticeable.

Maybe the handset piece that determines which signal is strongest is messed up, don't know. That's what I would be looking at (and maybe the carrier file has that in it, IDK).

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
well

with Blackra1n everybody complained about Wifi issues!

So Spirit Signal issues sure why not!

we all know AT&T doesn't drop calls especially in NY or NJ so that's not it! So it's got to be the Spirit! right?

ACardAttack

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Ive had no issues with 3g signal, just edge signal at certain times, but not all the time. Havent really dropped any calls though

loskickking23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Been jailbroke since Friday and mine started this morning..... Dropped alot of calls.... I'm in Baltimore and I never had such issues..... My phone has been dropping calls in places it never dropped calls before....people have been telling me that my voice sounds weird and I didn't know what they were talking about... I never even thought this JB could be the issue!

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Been jailbroke since Friday and mine started this morning..... Dropped alot of calls.... I'm in Baltimore and I never had such issues..... My phone has been dropping calls in places it never dropped calls before....people have been telling me that my voice sounds weird and I didn't know what they were talking about... I never even thought this JB could be the issue!

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is a result of Spirit. I have run two identical devices side by side for 24 hours now. I have not dropped a call on the non-JB'd 3.1.3 but the Spirit jailbroken device I have dropped 26 times.

Additionally, but less noticable, every 10-15 minutes my phone loses all signal (I live right next to a tower and ALWAYS have 5 bars, regardless of ability to place a call due to poor back-haul the RF level is fine) but in the case on the jailbroken using Spirit the device goes to Searching then No Signal 3-5 times an hour, and then sometimes restores to having bars after a minute or two, or I have to reboot the phone to get signal back.

This jailbreak is officially dead to me. It ruined my phone... going back to the original Apple OS until Spirit guys identify and fix the issue.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is a result of Spirit. I have run two identical devices side by side for 24 hours now. I have not dropped a call on the non-JB'd 3.1.3 but the Spirit jailbroken device I have dropped 26 times.

Additionally, but less noticable, every 10-15 minutes my phone loses all signal (I live right next to a tower and ALWAYS have 5 bars, regardless of ability to place a call due to poor back-haul the RF level is fine) but in the case on the jailbroken using Spirit the device goes to Searching then No Signal 3-5 times an hour, and then sometimes restores to having bars after a minute or two, or I have to reboot the phone to get signal back.

This jailbreak is officially dead to me. It ruined my phone... going back to the original Apple OS until Spirit guys identify and fix the issue.

I have to agree here. I left my phone un-JB'ed from yesterday around 3 PM until just now. Had no service issues whatsoever. I JB'ed with Spirit this morning and upon reboot I already had no service. It came back after a few minutes but then quickly fell back on Searching... and No Service again. Resetting network settings doesn't help, toggling airplane mode doesn't help, and rebooting seems to work about half the time. The phone can take up 15 minutes to find a signal only to lose it a few minutes later.

It makes the phone unusable and unfortunately I'll have to run stock 3.1.3 until this is figured out. I just paid for a couple of really cool Cydia apps that I've had my eye on for a while, too =\

Since Spirit isn't an unlock I was really hoping that it simply couldn't be the problem, but I have to agree now that it is the culprit. I don't understand how but my 'test' makes it pretty clear. Twice it was jailbroken with Spirit and twice I had service issues. Twice it was stock and twice I had great signal. This is all in the same place too. I just had my wisdom teeth out and haven't left my house in about 3 days. My room is on the 2nd floor of my suburban house with a giant window next to where the iPhone sits.

I live about 30 miles out of Manhattan, so maybe I'm also in that overlapping zone of 800 MHz and 1900 MHz.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
I'm in the UK and although it's not as noticeable on O2, I definitely notice intermittent drops in service from 3G to GPRS to No Service. Had it alot worse on Blackra1n and Sprint has improved it slightly but unjailbreaking makes it stable.

It seems on Sprint that the signal has to be very clear and very strong to retain 3G, if it's on the border it'll screw the signal up. We have a mast at work so it's constant 3G and it will sit with that happily all day, but go 200metres east and forget it!

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
The same thing happened to me the first 2 times I tried to jailbreak with spirit. After a couple hours the service would just go down and the phone basically became useless. After 2 restores I jailbroke it a third time and it's been fine ever since (about 4 days). I'm not sure what the problem is but it's definitely related to the jailbreak so hopefully the dev can resolve it soon.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Spirit Team : Help us out here... I sent this via Facebook and got a reply "We've forwarded your issues to Comex for review" ... hopefully they'll follow this forum and see it's a big issue and it'll become bigger as more people Jailbreak. Guess it's back to the stock OS... bummer.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
just wanted to add that I also set mine up as a new phone. whenever I jailbreak I always do a clean install and start from scratch.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
just wanted to add that I also set mine up as a new phone. whenever I jailbreak I always do a clean install and start from scratch.

Same, each time I restored I set it up as a new phone. Kind of annoying because you lose all your settings but it gets your phone back up and running.

LimitedxEdition

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
The posters so far that have had problems should try and isolate the problem to help out the devs.

Did you use the Latest version of spirit? What device are you guys on? If 3gs, new/old bootrom? Are you unlocked, if so, ultrasn0w/blacksn0w (prob not the case since everyone so far said AT&T)? Fw? What OS are you on, Etc.

I'm actually fine so far on a 3gs 3.1.2 new bootrom after 2 days. Restore worked fine for me with my shsh blob cuz I wanted to maintain my bb, but I am not unlocked. Only reason I used spirit was because I was tethered to blackra1n. And i was on windows 7.

And another thing, check out and/or post on the comments section of spiritjb.com as another way to voice this problem.

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
Spirit Team : Help us out here... I sent this via Facebook and got a reply "We've forwarded your issues to Comex for review" ... hopefully they'll follow this forum and see it's a big issue and it'll become bigger as more people Jailbreak. Guess it's back to the stock OS... bummer.

First post here....

What part of San Francisco are you in? I'm in Twin Peaks and I have had no trouble with my Spirit J/B.

I hope they can correct this for everyone.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I just returned from the Apple store because the lock button stopped working. I got a replacement phone and I'm going to gauge how the service is with this new one. I plan on jailbreaking with Spirit later tonight or tomorrow and comparing the signal strengths.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
The posters so far that have had problems should try and isolate the problem to help out the devs.

Did you use the Latest version of spirit? What device are you guys on? If 3gs, new/old bootrom? Are you unlocked, if so, ultrasn0w/blacksn0w (prob not the case since everyone so far said AT&T)? Fw? What OS are you on, Etc.

I'm actually fine so far on a 3gs 3.1.2 new bootrom after 2 days. Restore worked fine for me with my shsh blob cuz I wanted to maintain my bb, but I am not unlocked. Only reason I used spirit was because I was tethered to blackra1n. And i was on windows 7.

And another thing, check out and/or post on the comments section of spiritjb.com as another way to voice this problem.

Newest Spirit
iPhone 32GB 3.1.3, latest boot rom
Not Unlocked (obviously)
Have tried clean restore several times. Even had apple replace phone to rule that out.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
First post here....

What part of San Francisco are you in? I'm in Twin Peaks and I have had no trouble with my Spirit J/B.

I hope they can correct this for everyone.

Well my observation is it happens in areas where 800 and 1900 coexist, which up in twin peaks it may not as I believe ATT's been focusing on downtown\financial corridor where the worst issues were, which is where I am. I'll not that it has always been bad with dropped calls, but this is actually failing to see the ATT network, so it's not an ATT issue, it's ONLY happened since the Spirit JB and as u can see by my previous posts I've done extensive testing and can say with 100% confidence it's Spirit.

steemax

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
SoCal
my issue is somewhat similair.. except after Spirit JB on my 16gb 3gs newbootrom ... whenever I lose 3G connection from a spotty area, and it goes to edge the phone will stay on edge no matter what until I turn airplane mode on and off... kinda annoying but I can live with it.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Right. We've isolated the issue to the markets where ATT has overlap in frequencies. No sense in posting if you don't have anything to contribute. It clearly isn't affecting the bulk of users, so you're just wasting replies by stating it doesn't affect you.

That was a bit harsh...

threejean

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Cape Cod
Two year old iPhone 3G on 3.13 with 5.12.01 firmware. JB'd with Sprit last week, and it seemed to work fine for a while, but in the last couple of days, I've had to re0boot twice because of no-service/searching issue. Seems very random, so I'm holding off restoring for now. I live in eastern MA.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
So after having my iPhone replaced I had great service yesterday. Early this morning I jailbroke it with Spirit and....still have great service!

I installed all my Cydia apps, put all my data back on, and have been running it all day without issue. Texting/phone calls, everything is working great!

So while I cannot deny that there was some issue with Spirit on the phone I had replaced I think that issue is gone now. Within minutes after jailbreaking the other phone with Spirit I lost service and was caught in an endless loop of Searching... and No Service. I don't know what boot rom that phone had, but it did have the latest OS 4.0 (beta 3) modem firmware on it because I had previously upgraded to the 4.0 beta. The new phone has modem firmware 3.12.01 on it.

Maybe that was the reason? OP, what modem firmware are you running on your phones that are having issues?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.