Hot off the o2 line.

BuxtonUK

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Just had a call from o2 who are doing the rounds supplying people with information with regards to the iPhone, most of it was stuff I already knew but a couple of things worth noting are;

Visa Electron and Solo debit cards will NOT be accepted.

Our o2 local store will be getting 70 units and this is a tiny store so larger stores will more than likely be getting more stock, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to go queue up early to make sure you get one.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
Just had a call from o2 who are doing the rounds supplying people with information with regards to the iPhone, most of it was stuff I already knew but a couple of things worth noting are;

Visa Electron and Solo debit cards will NOT be accepted.

Our o2 local store will be getting 70 units and this is a tiny store so larger stores will more than likely be getting more stock, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to go queue up early to make sure you get one.
Aw, what!? Is that just O2 stores or is that everyone? That's bull.

Ugh.

BuxtonUK

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I presume other Visa Debit cards are fine?
Yeah it's merely the cards like Electron and Solo which can be had by people that are 16 when they open a bank account so obviously they don't want to be selling these handsets to people who aren't old enough to enter into a credit agreement for Direct Debits.

Although I was temporarily screwed as I have an Electron card, quick phone call and I'm getting someone else to buy it for me now though.

wavazey

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Started to panic a bit there. Thanks funkymunky and Leemo. At this stage im just hoping everything goes to plan. Don't want any hiccups when friaday comes around. We have all been waiting that long.

Cheers lads

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Started to panic a bit there. Thanks funkymunky and Leemo. At this stage im just hoping everything goes to plan. Don't want any hiccups when friaday comes around. We have all been waiting that long.

Cheers lads
I know that feeling. I'm on an o2 staff account plan at the moment, and have this horrible feeling there'll be the dreaded 5 day wait to get my number ported over - as the staff accounts are on an old-style system.

Meh, just have to hope they've sorted it out for the launch!

-Leemo

CarlisleUnited

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Nederland
I am a dutch student living in the UK, this means i have a dutch meastro card, will i still be able to get the iphone or not? Plus do i have to sign the contract instore or is it activated through itunes because i want the phone just not the contract (waiting for the hack)?
thanks

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK
I am a dutch student living in the UK, this means i have a dutch meastro card, will i still be able to get the iphone or not? Plus do i have to sign the contract instore or is it activated through itunes because i want the phone just not the contract (waiting for the hack)?
thanks
You should be able to use that card (can't see a problem really)
You sign up to the contract when you activate at home through iTunes. You don't sign anything when you buy the iPhone.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
This is why if a bank tries to fob you off with a Visa Electron card for your current account, you should take it back and demand a Visa Debit card.

Visa Electron is next to useless.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
I have always used my Visa Electron at the apple store so they should be fine.

Also I have direct debits from that account, so I can't see the problem

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
I have always used my Visa Electron at the apple store so they should be fine.

Also I have direct debits from that account, so I can't see the problem
This is probably a special policy for iPhones. It may not matter in the end but I wouldn't risk it. If the new rules in the US are any indication, you won't be able to pay cash for it either. I'd make alternative payment arrangements in case you find you've queued up for hours for no reason.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
This is probably a special policy for iPhones. It may not matter in the end but I wouldn't risk it. If the new rules in the US are any indication, you won't be able to pay cash for it either. I'd make alternative payment arrangements in case you find you've queued up for hours for no reason.
Don't tell me that :(

Anyway to contact regent street store via email ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.